Eating Disorders Community
How do I help my anorexic partner?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

How do I help my anorexic partner?

Today, I finally came to terms with my partners disorder. It's been eating at me for nearly a year now. I have a pretty good feeling that I know where her problems are stemming from but I don't know how to get her to accept that she has a serious condition and to accept the appropriate treatment. Can somebody who has previously been in my situation give me some advice? Or even possibly a passing professional that can show me how to temporarily treat her until she's willing to seek professional help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
You may try convincing your partner that she has anorexia and try to improve her eating habits. The aim of treatment is to restore a healthy weight and cultivate healthy eating habits. Make her eat small frequent meals. Gaining weight it is one of the cures for anorexia nervosa. Consult a psychiatrist who specializes in eating disorders. If she is depressed it also would need to be treated side by side. Please try and see a therapist as soon as possible. Patience and determination are very important while handling an anorexic person. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you so much. She's fully aware of her condition but she keeps putting it off, when I'm around I make her sit down and snack with me. She's afraid of what her moms reaction would be if she came out and said something. I've been considering sitting down with her mom when she's not around and explaining the situation to see if we can figure out a plan and talk about therapy, is that a good idea or would my partner see it as going behind her back and make things worse?