Must you be stick thin to be considered bulimic
I don't have a skinny frame. In fact I'm slightly overweight. I have been bingeing and purging for a few times a year for atleast a few years. I have not seemed professional treatment yet. But I have kept it under control. But sometimes it creeps back. I'm also dealing with paranoia and sexuality issues. I just want to know if I need to be underweight before doctors will list me as bulimic? Im hoping I can seek treatment discretely. Any ideas? Thank you so much :)
Hi!
No, you need not be very thin to considered bulimic. Often people who have nutritional deficiencies due to any cause pick up weight due to salt and water retention. Also, people often have diabetes or hypothyroidism which makes weight loss difficult. I am glad you are considering going for treatment. Please consult a psychologist specializing in eating disorders. All information shared by you and your treatment will be kept confidential. Take care!
No, you do not have to be "skinny" to have an eating disorder. I have suffered from bulimia in the past and was over 200 pounds. And yes treatment will be confidential. Good luck to you.