Eating Disorders Community
My 2 year old won't eat any solid food.

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

My 2 year old won't eat any solid food.

I'm a single mom of an almost 2 and a half year old little boy.  He refuses to eat any kind of solid food.  He doesn't want to chew even though he understands the concept of chewing (he'll make the motion and say nom nom nom when there isn't food in his mouth). He is in the 75th percentile for his height and weight and is incredibly smart for his age (he knows his abc's to recite and by sight, he also can count to 20, knows his animals, his shapes and colors, including shapes like pentagon, and he can put together a 24 piece puzzle all by himself).  He will only eat baby food (any kind), yogurt (with chunks of fruit), oatmeal, and pudding.  We also have gotten him to eat the tiny tiny tiny pasta with spaghetti sauce.  And he gets excited about other foods, he asks for cookies, crackers, chips, pizza, cheese, eggs, sandwiches, etc.  but when he's given them he won't eat them.  He's licked foods to taste and then puts them down stating he doesn't like it.  I've taken him to 2 different pediatricians and they both have said that it's just his habit and he will grow out of it, but now that he's getting older and pre-school is in the future, I'm starting to panic.  I have no idea what to do and people have said to withhold baby food from him and that he will eat when he's hungry, but I can't bring myself to not allow him to eat so he'll eat solid food.  When given solid food or chunky food, he gags and I work with him, "it's okay, honey, remember how we chew?" and he tries and will swallow what's in his mouth.  I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm honestly not doing something right.  Family is pushing me to take him to some kind of specialist but I'm hesitant because (no offense to anyone) I don't want them to push that something is wrong with him and I hate to say it but there are a lot of doctors that push things that aren't really wrong and I'm just frustrated.  Can anyone offer any advice, own experience, hope, anything for a mom that's slowly feeling like a failure as a parent.  Thank you all for your time.
Hi!
Many children favor baby foods as they are easy to eat. Also over-coaxing the chewing process can make it a game—to be played at times other than meals. You could try eating together from same plate. That may capture his interest. You can stop this process of teaching about chewing and just let him be. Introduce meats, veggies etc in pureed form. Place small portions of what he likes in front of him without forcing him to eat. Eat with him—the things he asks for and just licks. This way with time he may start eating with you. Try giving him food along with others of his age. Children mimic their peer groups. Keep a watchful eye if he eats. As long as he is growing normally, do not be over-concerned. Give 2-3 months with this new strategy. If this fails then you may need to consult a specialist. Do mention this to his pediatrician at the next visit to take his inputs.
Take care!
My son does the same thing he does eat some table food though, but mostly babyfood and drinks and he is doing all the same things he can count knows his alphabet too i have tryed everything however i thing when he goes to grandmas he is very spoiled and if he doesnt want something and fusses they give in to him im certain this is the problem she thinks its a phase but hes not comeing out of it because she gives in to him.