Eating Disorders Expert Forum
longevity after laparoscopic RNY surgery

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

I am considering having the weight loss surgery.  Will that be a good choice? I ve read of
a high rate of complications, and that it's getting a new disease, malabsorption.

Can I expect to live a normal life after?
You have received perfect advise from Jaquta. There are definet dangers and risks as well as benefits, and only a careful talk with several surgeons or bariatric doctors can give you the right answer...you can learn more about emotional eating at my website and if you want to try working on emotional eating, take the twleve week program.
Weight loss surgery, and how one tolerates it, is different for everyone.

I would strongly advise trying behavior modification before resorting to surgery.

Have you tried therapy?  Many people over-eat because of issues they have/ or have had in their personal lives.  Sorry, that sounds patronizing.

I have watched a lot of programs on weight and weight loss and body image, etc.
I would only consider surgery if I was at significant risk and attempts at changing my behavior failed and I felt I had resolved emotional issues.

I think you need to be extremely cautious before making this decision.  Whatever you do decide, please just make sure it is informed and is not impulsive.
If you do decide to have surgery then it is also advisable to have a skilled surgeon, etc.  Too many people have experienced complications after opting for cheap surgery (often performed in other countries).

Just be careful.  I am sure you will make the right decision for you.
J
I just watched Fat Doctors the other day.  The program I saw was based in the UK.
The program I saw was about a woman having bypass surgery (to improve her quality of life and to increase her life expectancy).

This woman they operated on was super morbidly obese.  Her BMI was 96 and she had been given five years to live.  They said for people with a BMI over 80 they can typically expect to live between 5-7 years.

I actually thought this was a pretty good program which presented facts, etc well.  It explained and showed diagrams of the procedure and explained there significance.

The surgeon said that while there were severe risks and complications associated with the surgery the risk of not having it was far greater.

The three major risks the surgeon highlighted were: blood clots, heart attack and I think the third was leakages from where the tissues were joined.

I thought the program was quite interesting.

I hope you aren't feeling too stressed or pressured to make a decision.

The surgeon did say after stapling the stomach that that was the point of no return.  It is a massive and potentially life changing decision you're making.  I don't envy you.

Best wishes
J