Eating Disorders Expert Forum
strange eating disorder

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

strange eating disorder
I am a 31 year old retired lifeguard from Nebraska. Growing up i had strange addictions to things such as vodka and heroine. When i was 9 i had a craving for chewing on carpet (the dirtier the better) . It went away for a few years until i got a job at home depot when i was 17. I was caught by my superior chewing on a fresh green slice of Alaskan Shag in the flooring section, in which i was fired for. Ever since ive been obsessed and it has consumed my life. WHY AM I DOING THIS?
this is a very unusual compulsion and probably has a very specific childhood incident as the source, one that you may not even remember.  There is no easy way to get to that, but you might try the method I have developed for addiction eating only because it focuses on the same triggers you mentioned, and helps you sort through what is going on in your mind when that happens...that is probably the best way to get to the origin.
Also i don't do this all the time, I only do this when i am happy, sad, energetic or tired
That covers a lot of emotions!  It sounds like it could be a lot of the time.

What does Dr Gould say?  Compulsions mask underlying fears and anxieties??

Alcohol and drugs can be addictive.  I think, as with food, they cover underlying issues and emotions.

I think the carpet issue helps give you a sense of control (although in many respects it takes away a sense of control).

You may find some answers in the compulsive behavior expert forum.

Good luck in finding the solution and overcoming this.  Therapy to uncover the underlying issues could be a good idea.

J
hey this is ****** ********
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were asking or trying to say.
Personally I don't care what you thought of my comments.  I'm sorry you found them unhelpful.
I personally felt you were describing obsessive-compulsive behaviors.

If you're not receptive to feedback perhaps you should be asking yourself why you're doing it.  You must have some ideas.

J
I think it could be related to an eating disorder called pica, which is a compulsion to eat non-food items, such as dirt, chalk, paint chips, etc.  The disorder is generally associated with a nutrient deficiency, which results in cravings for non-food items.  I haven't heard too much about people's struggles with this particular eating disorders, so I am not sure how long it typically lasts, or exactly how it is treated.  Sorry, I know that isn't much help.
I'm sorry you're experiencing this.  Considering that this behavior started when you were a child and you may be unaware of what exactly triggered this, seeing a therapist may help you figure it out this mysterious addiction.
I sweat profusely all the time. I also feel like my skin is crawling, have goosebumps all over my body plus I am chilly.  Don't know whether I am cold or hot. It's embarrassing.
Please can you help.  Anything you would have to say about this condition, I am sure would help.
Thank you,
Angela
try pouring a mixture of ketchup and bread crumbs on it when it is most intense, that is what i had to do as a child. the feeling is a physical manifestation of the anxiety you have built up inside from either a recent traumatic experience or something that you have supressed for years. good luck