Emphysema Community
Patient abandonment?

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

Patient abandonment?

To: HELP!
Thursday morning, i was getting ready for work when pain hit my chest and neck, almost brought me to my knees. i have severe COPD but keep on working for fear that if i become docile, i will wilt away, not my style. i was whisked away to the county hospital by my fiance and was took directly to the back for an EKG. Hmmm, nothing there. so, next step is to talk to these drs to see if there was possibly another answer. about three months ago, i had been in the same hospital to get a cat scan with dye, surprisingly i remembered that my personal physician told me that in this pic, you could see the diverticulitis flair-up, so i told the dr from this group and sure enough it also showed a hiatal hernia (classic heart attack symptoms) in the meantime, my COPD is giving me a run for my money and i am having panic attacks, asthma attacks, dizzy, etc.....you name it..i was a mess.. i now weigh 100 lbs more than i did a year ago from all the Prednisone, despite all my efforts, it will not budge. so, i was in the hospital for 9 days, and had a cardiology group from Jacksonville who did extensive testing on me, but found nothing, so they signed off on me. great people. now i am left with a doctor who calls himself a lung specialist, only has no degree as to such. i asked him about my condition and all he told me was :be patient (as he walked away.)  now i'm scared. about a year ago, there was a spot discovered on my lung, but no one ever did anything about it, so i asked him if there was a way to tell what this was...again. be patient. WHAT? is this all you have to say. as far as the other dr goes, the one from the internist, i was on flagile i.v.s, along with Prilosec and Nexium, and who knows what all else. the amount of i.v. steroids that i was being given was so high that it could not be reduced to pill for in order to turn me loose to go home. so, on the 9th day, Dr. "Be Patient" came in and said, ready to go home? not another word, no further instructions other than that i have severe emphyzema
(Really, knew that), then it was the other dr.s turn to maybe make this right. well, he refused to talk to me at all, with no further prescriptions, no explaination as to what my prognosis was, no nothing. i left the hospital feeling totally empty inside, like someone had stolen 9 days of my life. i went straight to my drs office and she gave me enough steroids till i go in on monday 8a.m. what the heck, you recon? can they really just stop treating you, kick you out and refuse to talk to you? do i have grounds to sue these people? help, i need a serious answer, please!
Not sure if there would be any point in suing them. If I were you, I would definitely find new doctors!  No one should be treated that way by the medical profession. Sounds like Dr. "Be Patient" could use a lesson on how not to be so IMPATIENT and to be more professional!
My guess would be that in your frustration and anxiety, along with the poor bedside manner of Dr. Be Patient, this made for a very tense and unproductive attempt at communication.  Is there a nurse or someone else you could speak with if you explained that your anxiety only worsened from the fear of the unknown?  Many times nurses and other health professionals assume that you understand everything if you don't speak up.  I wouldn't give up just yet, but I would definitely go for a second opinion and precede the initial consult by stating that you need things explained, that you want to make sure you understand... I usually make a list beforehand so that I don't get flustered and forget what I wanted to ask!  Good luck and I hope this helps!!