Emphysema Community
Recently diagnosed with emphysema

Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatment options.

Recently diagnosed with emphysema

I had been struggling with chest pains and shortness of breath and I was thinking I was having heart problems. This had been going  for sometime but I continued to ignore it thinking it would improve. After a series of test we found out my heart is fine but that I am dealing with asthma and emphysema. I thought it had to be 1 or the other and not both? I am to blame because I was a smoker for 35 years. I suffer from back and chest pain and activity is becoming more difficult because of lack of breath. the back pain at times is unbearable.  I just found out yesterday I and I am wondering what I have to look forward to? Will this worsen over time? Is there a chance it will improve? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
What stage are you at and what medications are you taking?