Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
EBV second time around -starting 5th month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

6328629?1289075236
THE FIFTH MONTH EBV SECOND TIME AROUND:  
Although in many ways I am better, in other ways I am worse: with new and disturbing problems.
(Original EBV was 30 years ago from kissing in college --I'll never believe kissing is a benign behavior again!)

MY NORM:
Prior to this repeat of EBV:  I Pastored a church, had two radio programs: one live 5 days a week, one hour long pre-recorded. I ran food, clothes, and counseling ministry for the poor 5 days a week.  I was constantly writing on books, plays, and songs, speaking and performing. I am a mother and a grandmother. Adding to all of this I started Haiti Relief and Restoration -collecting items for Haiti.  I referred to myself as in my: "FEISTY FIFTIES!" Normally, I would not hesitate to:  
-praise dance: skipping and hopping two hours straight
-lift 100-150 pounds: working even an hour stacking such items
-climb: I did so often, even onto the church roof to paint the steeple
-roller-skate: including doing limbo, backwards skate, swatting races etc.
-pull all-nighters: whether up with a sick loved one, or driving a large U-Haul truck straight from OKC to HOUSTON with a load full for Haiti and then unloading personally on arrival.

WHAT'S THE SAME: ("Same" -as I have experienced during the first 4 months of the second time with EBV)

NO APPETITE -same
POOR SKIN TURGOR -same
ASCITIES -same

IMPROVED:

SOB ON EXERTION -improved
Use to my BP (both) & PULSE increased 20 from just sitting to standing -never mind it I walked briskly --I just didn't do that!  I haven't measured it, but I know I can do these things now with more ease.  I still get SOB if I walk even a short distance briskly.  I have tried to hop some and that's just crazy for me to do, and I don't run.  I'm unsteady climbing up and down even one step right now, so I avoid that behavior, although I can do it.

ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING -improved
I can bathe and wash and shave and then I'm exhausted for at least an hour.  I can cook and eat and clean up and then I'm exhausted for at least an hour.  So, I am about 1 hour on -an hour + down; whereas before, when this first began I was 5-15 minutes up and 2-3 hours down.  So, my ability to be up and about is slowly improving over time.
I still have to budget my time that I am up and about.  Being a Mama and a Pastor is about more than I can handle right now.

UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT PAIN -improved
IF I eat a very low fat to no fat diet, and rest enough and use Garlic Suppositories, this is improved.  If not, it flares up.  Or if I lift or exert myself --like hopping around, etc. then it acts up.

NEW:

MUSCULAR PAIN -new
I really ache all over bad.  I mean I just hurt to move any muscle.  I feel like I've been working 16-18 hours straight loading hay or doing roofing.  Normally, I'd get out the Epstein-Salts and take a hot bath, but not with skin turgor like mine.  

SWATTING DIFFICULTY -new
I avoid swatting.  It hurts my abdomen.  It hurts my muscles and joints in my back and I feel unsteady.  I even fell over and hit the wall once trying to swat to peer into the bottom of my refrigerator.  Swatting down and getting up is major for me right now.  Don't even say, it's my age: YES, I'm fifty-five, but a year or two ago, I'd be up for a swatting race on roller skates.

EYE CHANGES -new
My eyes turned grey and then blood-shot and started to ache as well.

DIZZINESS -new
It just jumps on me seemingly out of the blue -so I'm taking antihistamine and decongestants, which seem to help.

SINUS CONGESTION -new
There seems to be congestion in my sinuses behind my eyes and in my ears and I have postnasal drainage that tastes odd now, so I increased my Vitamin C from 1000mg to 4,000mg/day

FORGETFULNESS -new
This means I have to keep lists to keep myself focused.  A good example is that I forgot to record two check I wrote in the church check book and got our church bank statement out of balance --which I normally do not not do, so we added an another Assistant Treasurer.  

CONCENTRATION DIFFICULTIES -worse  
I notice this in playing memory games with my daughter and in Driving Difficulties. Sometimes, I fear that I will be too distracted to remember to check all my mirrors before I change lanes, etc; so, I NEVER DRIVE IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC, and I try to get others to drive for me if at all possible right now, However, the not being able to feel comfortable driving again, had just reoccurred.  Before, it was an exhaustion issue.  Now, it's a concentration issue.

SNORING -new
I wake up catching my breath with a dry mouth most of the time.

WHITE COATED TONGUE -new
This doesn't bother me, it's just odd.  The dentist noticed it as pathology.

LOW GRADE FEVER -new
I have not measured it, I just sense I have a slight fever, when I didn't have it before.

STILL USE ELECTRIC CARTS FOR LONG DISTANCES
STILL USE GARLIC
STILL USE ALMOST A NO FAT DIET
STILL HIGH PROTEIN DIET
STILL RESTING MORE THAN USUAL -both sleeping and laying down more (probably not enough yet)
STILL USE MULTI-VITAMIN, D,C, Ca, B complex

Thanks,
SandyLynnPatton
What's your question?
It sounds like you're talking some steps in the right direction, in that you're eating very healthily and taking supplements/vitamins.  However, if you ask me, I would say you're still not doing enough.  In cases like this, rest (LOTS of rest) is vital in helping your body fight the virus.  It sounds like you're still trying to do quite a bit; in my case, I had to be completely off work for a while, then do 1/2 days (resting pretty much the remainder of the day), then finally full days (still with lots of rest).  Also, this would hopefully cut back on stress, as well.  You may not think you're under a lot of stress right now, especially if you enjoy your job/activities, but stress is one of the main factors that can cause EBV relapses.  My suggestion is to try to take it as easy as possible (easier said than done, I know!), hopefully you will start seeing a gradual but steady recovery.  God bless!
I'm getting tired of the moderators on this forum...As long as it's civil, I don't see a problem with analyzing someones intentions...Please quit deleting my posts. It's bit hyper sensitive..Considering we are all adults here.