Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
MONO AND PEA SIZE LUMP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

MONO AND PEA SIZE LUMP

Hello world, IM trying my best to find out what is wrong with my daughter, she is 12, she had mono 5 or so years ago, and from this it left a lump in her lymphnods, couple of years later she had it again , test showed.  This lump is still present, Has any one ever had this from mono.? She has been sick all her life , it seems i get her to where she needs to be ,feeling great ,and then its like fallen off a wagon. and over the course of the past two weeks , she has had another lump come up. and has all the symtoms (symptoms) of this EBV virus.  I had blood work done, and he said she was healthy as she could be,  What do i do?  somebody please help...
Tags: mono, ebv, virus
I'm sorry I'm not sure about the lump but I do know that I was misdiagnosed for a long long time with mono. Make sure that they run all the EBV tests and that you get a copy. Some docs who don't understand it can misread the results. The lab actually makes it pretty easy to decipher so not sure how they miss it but they do. Certain levels will stay high permenantly once she's had it and the others change depending on whether it's a past illness, a present, or if she's in the recovery phase. Find that out before just taking the docs word.

The one thing I could say about the lump is that I have a cyst on my forefinger that comes on when I have activated EBV and then goes away when my EBV goes away. I've had mono twice and it went away once my mono was gone and was the first thing to come back when I was getting sick again. I've talked to a few docs about it and my new doc was really interested to see what connection it had (all the others just blew it off). He wants to further research it to see what that connection is but I wonder if it's something similar to what your daughter has?

Chel
I am 23 and had mono when I was 15. This week my doctor looked over my CBC test and said my blood work looks normal except that I have mono...AGAIN! What in the heck...I thought it couldn't come back? Is my immune system THAT bad? I am so confused. I am also worried it is something more serious like lymphoma cancer because I keep reading lymphoma creates false positive mono tests. Although I have no other symptoms except a tight feeling throat that feels as though I must constantly swallow. I sometimes have nausea but it doesnt last long and I still eat like crazy. I wish I never read that info though. I have anxiety about my health as it is. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE? COULD LYMPHOMA CREATE FALSE POSITIVE MONO BLOOD TESTS? WHAT SHOULD I DO, GET ANOTHER BLOOD TEST OR A CT SCAN TO RULE OUT SOMETHING MORE SINISTER?
I'm sorry but I'm not sure if mono could give a false positive for something else like lymphoma. That's pretty scary to think that it might so you should have them run some other blood tests. My husband is a cancer survivor and I know blood tests are not always decisive (he never showed positive for tumor markers even when he had cancer) so if you are worried you should definitely get the docs to run some further tests. Run by all your symptoms with your doc and see what else they might be able to test you for and see if you can find some other information out there about the connection to lymphoma and false positive mono tests- that's what is so great about the internet is that there is a lot of info out there (just be careful not to believe everything and if you find an answer make sure to research before assuming the worst).
Chel