Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Unusual EBV panel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Unusual EBV panel

EBA Panel question:

EBV VCA (IGM)  is >5.00 positive
EBV VCA (IGG)  is <0.90 negative
EBNA (IGG)   is 1.25 positive

What does this mean????  The lab report says it shows nothing definitive and it exhibits an unusual antibody profile.  Streptolysin O was 297 (high)
Hi, based on your results (see labtestsonline.org), it looks like you have been infected with EBV in the past.  The high IGM indicates recent infection; the negative is odd, but it's close to the threshold, so it's hard to say.  The EBNA result indicates older infection, so these results are tough determine when/how long you've been infected.  What did your doctor have to say about it?
The panel is my 17 year old daughter's.  She tested positive for the monospot test.  She also had strep, which she was prescribed antibiotics for.  Her fever was extremely high for almost three weeks (spiked to 103-104) and went away within hours of taking the first dose of antibiotics.  She has felt good for the past ten days since the strep diagnosis.  She has never had the symptoms of mono before this.  The doctor only said that it was mono.  She said that the test proved she had mono and not to worry about the unusual numbers.   I was the one who insisted she have the strep test and EBV panel.  What kind of follow up does she need?  If she had a past infection, why then does she not have a positive EBV VCA Igg?  Could the strep have activated the old mono, or have some of the antibodies shown up but not others and the doctor is correct it is a new infection?  I am so confused.  
With the monospot test coming back positive, compared to the EBV results, I think your doctor is right, that it's a new case of mono.  Honestly, I think his advice to not worry about the EBV results is a good idea.  Lab tests never give a perfect reading (at least in regards to what we want to see), but based on what you've described, it really does sound like acute (new) mononucleosis.  As far as a follow-up, I think getting Complete Blood Count (CBC) done would be smart because it will show how her system is doing in fighting the infection.  Don't be afraid to ask any more questions!
Thanks for the reply.  Does the negative VCA Igg mean she could be re-infected?  And--could a recent infection test positive to the EBNA Igg?  I am just concerned that something else is wrong. I plan on having a CBC done.  I just think the whole thing is weird.  She has had allergies since she was a baby, that she seemed to have outgrown as she got older. Other than the usual once a year cold, and the flu at the age of fifteen, she has been pretty healthy through middle and high school.  She had chicken pox as an infant, and the shingles at the age of six (after a short course of pregnazone to treat a severe allergic reaction to a lotion) .  She did at one point during this illness complain of having shooting pains where the shingles were, but not an outbreak. I am just wondering if the shingles virus, or the strep could have skewed the results, or it's just nothing, or something more....
She has been ill for 6-7 years now. Just an example of her test WBC 2.3 RDW 15.3 EBV ab VCA 1748 EBV ab IgG 88 EBV NAab IgG 837 .Next one MCH 26.0 RDW 16.6 EBV EA ab IgG 182 EBVAb VCA IgG 2812 EBV NA Ab IgG 259. There are more abnormal ones but wondering what your thoughts might be?Thanks so much!
I guess I would just disregard that negative result.  Overall, the test results show that she has mono.  I have no idea whether the other past viruses could skew the EBV test results (Sorry!).  I wouldn't think so, but it would be something to ask your doctor.