Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
doesn't sound like normal mono to me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

doesn't sound like normal mono to me

Ok - I'm 25/m and have been having some weird symptoms for a few months. I'll try to run it down and see if any of it makes sense.  

In January I came down with a severely swollen left tonsil covered in pus, bad fever for a few days with a sore painful lymph node on the left side.  Antibiotics were prescribed twice but did not help.  It took about three weeks to gradually go away.

Everything was fine for a couple months and then I developed a bit of a cough that got pretty bad by about the beginning of April.  It's calmed down a little but has never quite gone away.  It goes back and forth between being productive and nonproductive.  

Also for the last month to six weeks, I've gotten chronic canker sores -- about one a week.  Plus, about three weeks ago, I developed oral hairy leukoplakia on my tongue.  I read online that this can be a sign of HIV, but I got tested and it was negative.  

Two weeks ago, I noticed my submandibular gland has been enlarged on the right side.  It feels rubbery but not painful.  It definitely did not pop up out of nowhere like it did when I had the original tonsil problem.  Part of me thinks it's always been there but all the other symptoms made me really notice it. So I went to the doctor.  He gave me two more courses of antibiotics which have not worked and an antifungal which took care of the oral hairy leukoplakia.  

When the antiobiotics did't work, he sent me for a ton of blood tests.  Had about five vials taken.  And the test came back positive for mono.

Here's the part where I don't understand... the fatigue, which is the main symptom, has only set in in the last couple days AFTER I've been diagnosed.

So the main question I have is this... when exactly in the course of all these symptoms do you think the mono actually started?  

The reason I ask is because I read online that sometimes a false positive mono test can be caused by something much more serious like lymphoma or leukemia.  And since the symptoms have been so inconsistent and drawn out, I'm wondering if maybe that's the case.  

If this has been mono all along, why would it take months for the fatigue to set in?  That's what scares me about this possibly being something more serious.

I know this is long and confusing, but I'm hoping anyone who knows this stuff better than me can help.  Thanks! :)
Can anyone provide any input?
In my opinion, I think you're underestimating the Eppstein-Barr virus.  I know it's normal to wonder if it's something else, especially given that your case seems more severe than "normal", but I would say there's a 99% chance that's what it is.  I think it's much more likely you have a severe case of mono/EBV than lymphoma or leukemia.  With that said, please bring up these concerns with your doctor; he/she can let you know their thoughts and whether they think you should be tested further.  As far as fatigue, I personally didn't have any during my initial mono, but then it hit me really hard when I relapsed.  It may be that your immune system has been fighting the virus all this time, but now it (your body) is getting worn down.  Have you been taking any steps to adjust your lifestyle?  Once your body can get ahead in terms of rest, I think there's a good chance you'll see things start to improve.
you should test for ebv igm and igg not mono spot. mono spot many times comes negative. i am quite sure you have ebv. i hope you will feel better. if you will test positive take vitamis like lysine avoid dairy, refined sugar and pork for a while. i had an ebv relapse after ten year.