Aa
A
A
Close
Possibly Esophageal Cancer... please help me!
Hi, I am a 29-year-old male, borderline-obese as per my BMI. From the past 6 months I have been suffering from frequent heartburns, but through simple OTC medicines I have managed to control it. Just 1 month ago, due to food poisoning I suffered an acidity attack - severe heartburn, burning sensation in stomach, intermittent chest pains & some dysphagia while eating solid food. I went straight away to the doctor; he told me that I could be suffering from either a peptic ulcer or GERD. He prescribed me an anti-reflux syrup & PPI-tablets and told me to check back after 6 weeks.

It's been 5 weeks since I'm on medication & while most symptoms are gone now, the dysphagia is still there - in fact it has worsened. I feel discomfort / mild pain in my upper chest region while eating & though it is intermittent, it's intensity has increased since last time. Now, I am really scared because these happen to be the symptoms of Esophageal Cancer too...

I called up the doctor immediately and told him about my concern; as he is out of town, I could only speak on the phone. However, he is still quite unflustered about it – he told me I don’t need to worry about getting Esophageal cancer as I am too young for it (the cancer occurs only for those who are above 45 years of age) & not only that but my voice is also quite clear (as those with Esophageal cancer generally have voice-hoarseness). He reassures me that it is only a case of severe GERD or a peptic ulcer & has told me to continue with the medications for 3 more weeks & take care of my diet.

I am really scared of this, even if my doctor has reassured me that there is no need to fear. Should I convince him to get an endoscopy done immediately to rule out cancer possibility?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, the dysphagia may take a few weeks to settle after the treatment is initiated. The presence of dysphagia alone does not indicate the presence of cancer, as this can be associated with a number of more common conditions and an endoscopy would not be required. I would suggest following your doctors management plan for a few weeks before seeking a review with him/ her.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Hi , did you get a diagnosis for your symptoms. My husband has been having the same problems recently and is due for a endoscopy today. I am very concerned. He is 31
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Dear Dr. Kaul, thanks so much for your words of advice. I recently had an Upper-GI Endoscopy done, and to my good fortune there was no Esophageal Cancer or even Barrett's Syndrome. However, we did find an unusually high amount of stomach acid and a hint of peptic ulcer. The doctor determined that due to a dysfunctional esophageal sphincter, the acid refluxed and could have done minor damage to my esophagus - causing my dysphagia. However, the biopsy revealed later that I have been infected with H-Pylori bacteria & have been put on a strong antibiotics course for two weeks to hopefully eradicate it. But anyways I am so relieved that I don't have cancer & thanks for your advice - it really gave me confidence while taking the medications and leading to my Endoscopy.

@Like23: It's been a while since you posted, but I would like to know if your husband is ok too, i.e. no cancer or barett's
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Esophageal Cancer Community Resources