Exercise & Fitness Community
Broken Foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Broken Foot

I was play wrestling around with my girlfriend a few days ago, and i tripped on something on the floor and my knee came straight down with all my weight onto her foot (yeah I'm real popular with her parents now). She had previously broken that foot about 2 years ago. Its hurt a lot for her to walk on since the injury is swollen. She went to her regular physician today who said the bones were probably cracked and there was nothing they could do. he didnt even bother xraying it or anything. it looks like there is an indentation on the top of her foot (its in the bone, not just from the swelling) and you can clearly feel a bone that is lower on the ball of one of her toes directly under "the dent." I really thought the doctor should have xrayed that to see the extent of damage, but he said it if the bone was dislocated it would pop into place and it didnt matter, and she should just use flat bottomed shoes for a few weeks until the pain subsides. are there any podiatrists out there by chance that have an opinion on the matter? thanks for the help.

note: the other thing that bothered me was that she said the doctor brought a book in and kept looking through the book, which makes me think he doesnt have much experience treating foot injuries. If you post, please let me know if youre a doctor or if it is merely your opinion. Thanks for the help!
get a 2nd opinion!! I broke my foot back in Nov, and due to a misdiagnosis & the doctor not taking proper x-rays, it got worse. I was told to wear flat shoes, and possibly a boot cast. Of course, since it didnt really hurt I just stuck w/the flat shoes. When I went to a specialist a month or so later, it turned out to be a terrible break, and still, 12wks later, is not healing bcz I didnt take proper precaution at the time I broke it.
I had a similar incident with my fiance.  We were four wheeling, he was trying to show off, and I was slung off of the four wheeler going around too tight of a curve and both my 250 pound man and the 450 four wheeler rode directly over my foot. I didn't go see a doc for a week but when I finally went and was xrayed, I was told the bone under my second toe was "flecked." Basically a chip of the bone had broken off and was just sort of sitting there. There was nothing that could be done except to put me on crutches and tell me to stay off of it for at least six weeks. Well, six months later, I have limited mobility in my foot and I can not bend my toes the same way as I could before. (My feet were my claim to fame, I could beat the first four levels of sonic the hedgehog with just my toes)

Now I have pain in my foot and it constently feels like it needs to *pop* in order to get any relief. *I also didn't stay off my foot like I was advised because as my fiance puts it... I'm as stubborn as I am beautiful.* But when you've got a job, a child, and a household to run....  I couldn't afford the down time. Tell your g/f to go get a second opinion and to PLEASE take the advice of the docs. Even if the bones are just fractured, then she shouldn't be walking on it and at the very least, she should have crutches for awhile. My advice though, is that if your g/f is smaller than the national average of 5'4" for a female, to heavily pad the underarm portion of the crutches or she will get bruised.
Yes. Although I am against unnecessary x-rays, in this case it appears it would have been prudent to do so. Over thirty years ago I broke the metatarsal bones in a similar incident and the foot still causes me trouble. I don't have any opinions on treatment. A consult with a podiatrist would probably be a good idea.