Aa
A
A
Close
Can I keep exercising with a slightly swollen knee?
Hi all,

I am a 20 year old student who really likes weightlifting. My biggest obstacle is my left knee, which was quite heavily injured 5 years ago while I was playing basketball. It was treated by a surgery followed by physical therapy. However, my left leg has been noticably weaker than my right leg ever since. One of the reasons I started weightlifting was so I could try to fix these imbalances. Foam rolling and wearing a knee sleeve helps me a lot when lifting heavy weights, as it makes me feel almost no pain even when doing, for example, squats or similar exercises. In the last week or so, I noticed that my left knee got a bit swollen. It feels tender to touch, as if it's filled with a liquid. (This is not the first time that this has happened) I feel no pain in the knee however, and I have full range of motion. I've been icing the knee 2 times a day for 20 minutes the last couple of days, but the swelling doesn't seem to be going away. (Given that I've continued strength training as usual)
My question is: Is it okay if I ignore the swelling and just keep exercising normally?

Thank you in advance!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your body will most likely absorb the fluid! That being said I suggest also elevating your leg and see an orthopedist.
I wouldn't be doing squats or quads and hamstring exercises until you're checked.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
4059843 tn?1485843211
Blank
mishymoshymarcy You have nothing to lose...... Comment
Oct 20
973741 tn?1342346373
Blank
specialmom A fall chill is in the air.... Comment
Oct 18
Blank
chrisltang commented on Activity after Retina...
Oct 16
Top Healthy Living Answerers
Exercise & Fitness Community Resources