Exercise & Fitness Community
Does excessive exercise increase uric acid in body

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Do weight training and exercise on regular basis increase uric acid content in blood ?
Do sports like swimming, jogging, badminton, squash played on regular basis increase uric acid content in blood ?
I'm not a doctor but uric acid is the end result of purine catabolism (a metabolic pathway).  Excess uric acid in the blood may be a symptom of gout, lesch-nyhan syndrome, or cardiovascual disease. Weight training can increase uric acid content in blood through dehydration but that should revert after rehydrating. What is the reason you are worried about this?
Hi.

Uric acid is indeed associated with strenuous exercise and this is a result of its increased production as our bodies continue to use more calories for energy.

Aside from this, uric acid, a water-soluble antioxidant, is said to increase, along with vitamin E and C, during exercise and reflects enhancement of antioxidant defenses as a response to exercise oxidative stress.

The amount of uric acid produced is related to whether the exercise is strenuous or not. Regular light exercise would only produce minimal elevation of uric acid levels compared to occasional heavy exercise.

Hope this answers your query.
I was unaware of the possibilty of exercise causing acidic increase. I do heavy exercise 3 times per week.  My definition of "heavy" is 30 minutes of either treadmill and/or arc trainer per week.  I never do it 2 days in a row.   My heart rate in the 120-130 range and I am 67 years old.  Generally I am very heathy and take no medications. I am male.  

However testing has shown my body to be more acidic than normal which has totally puzzled me and my doctor. There is nothing in my blood numbers to indicate any reason for the higher than normal acidity level.  Frankly we have questioned the legimaticy of the test.  Any thoughts?

Not a doctor but am hyperuricemic and have observed that exercise especially if it is strenuous, increases both serum creatinine and uric acid levels. Your diet and vitamin intake also are major contributors to uric acid levels. You will have to say goodbye to bodybuilding and long distance running especially in warm weather to maintain healthy uric acid levels. It's a painful and lengthy process of determining what works and what doesn't. My experience says avoid:
1. Processed and refined foods including bread (because of the yeast)
2. Colas
3. White rice
4. Organs and all forms of red meat
5. Refined sugar
6. Tea and coffee whiteners

Consume:
1. Fruits and veggies including fresh juices (avoid the
2. Olive oil
3. Poultry in moderation (3 times a week)
4. At least 4,000mg of vitamin C (depends upon your body weight)
5. Wholewheat pita bread and brown rice

If you can't follow the above, avoid the pain and go for lifelong medication i.e. allopurinol or febuxostat which have their own side effects.

Best of luck!