EXERCISE & FITNESS
COMMUNITY
Exercise and METS, what are METS?
by Albytwins, Aug 27, 2006
When I use a treadmill to run one of the categories tracked is something called "mets", I am not familiar with this term, can someone define what it means in reference to exercise.  Thank you.
Member Comments (4)
by bobthetrainer, Aug 31, 2006
METS, or metabolic equivalents, are a simplified system for classifying physical activities where one MET is equal to the resting oxygen consumption, which is approximately 3.5 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute (3.5ml/kg/min)
by Richard51, Oct 03, 2009
IS THE ECHOCARDIOGRAM MORE ACCURATE FOR HEART FUNCTION THAN METs
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Dr VinodBlank, Oct 04, 2009
Hello!

Refer to a post about METS in medhelp: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Re-metabolic-equivalent-unit-mets-formula/show/875055.

An echocardiogram is the actual record that is obtained by using ultra sound waves to create a picture of the heart. MET stands for metabolic equivalents. It is displayed on most elliptical trainers, treadmills and other cardiovascular exercise machines, and is a measure of a capacity for exercise based on the level of oxygen a person is consuming. Echo is different from METs.

Take care!
by aviator1, Apr 19, 2010
Hi  I'm a 55yo male. I went for a stress ecg for Commercial pilot medical and unfortunately or fortunately found that At peak exercise i had 3mm of horizontal inferolateral ST segment depression which gradually resolved during recovery. max work load was 17 mets sinus and with a history of atrial ectopy none occurred in this test. I lasted only 14 mins and was exhausted at the end HR was 77  and went to 179.  BP was 130/70 and went to 200/70. The Bruce protocol was used. I was asymptomatic during test and recovery.
I now have to have a myocardial perfusion.
Depending on the result of this I guess the fate of my CPL is in others hands.
My questions are what of the future. Can I exercise? Do I have to be careful with any activity i do?   When should i be tested again?  Can I fix the problem with careful exercise and diet?

Thank you