Exercise & Fitness Community
Exercise and not losing weight.

Take charge of your health by joining others like you. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Exercise and not losing weight.

So, for the past 3 and a half months I have been doing strength training three days a week and cardio kick-boxing twice a week for a total of 5 days a week, each for an hour. I eat healthy - no junk, no fast food, and lots of water. Only problem is my weight is exactly the same as it was on day one. What the heck?! It is SO discouraging to not see that number going down. What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?! :(
vbriggs-

First off, when you are doing strength training you can't really go by pounds, muscle weighs more than fat, and if you are doing strength training i guarantee you are gaining a significant amount of muscle.

I would increase your cardio to a good level of intensity for 45 minutes atleast 3 to 5 times a week.

Decrease your calories to 500 a day for the first 30 days and don't eat past 6pm. Then increase slowly but not more than 1500 a day (I stay under 1000)

No soda. Atleast 8 cups of water a day.

Not too much protein, a good amount of fiber, and limit sugar/carbs intake.

Don't use too much weights either...more reps less weight.

I do cardio 3-4 nights a week now for 30 minutes and 1 cardio body pump and 1 body pump class (both minimal weights) a week.

Hope that helps! I know the diet sounds hard, but it's really not. There is a lot of good food and stuff you can fill yourself up with and still keep a low cal and medium-low carbs.

Good luck!
Hi there!

If you are aiming at losing weight, it is important to calculate your current BMI and the target BMI. The target BMI should be in a healthy range. Aside indulging in moderate amounts of physical exercise it is also essential to maintain a healthy diet plan. A healthy diet should consist of adequate amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fat and plenty of fruits and vegetables to supply vitamins and minerals. The calorie requirement should be adjusted for ones physical activities as well. It is important to know that less than adequate calorie intake would also cause weight gain. Start with a healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner. Also keep a track of calorie intake and your work out. With gradual consistent efforts, you should be able to lose weight as desired in a healthy way. If your weight still does not seem to budge, you may consider an evaluation by a physician to rule out hormonal/ endocrine imbalances.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks for the help! ...I just got test results back from my Doctor today and it turns out I have Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. A hormonal/metabolic disorder. So now what?! This may explain why it has been so hard to lose weight, but now how do I get around it?? Any suggestions??
Hi again!

Though it might be harder to lose weight with hormonal imbalance it is not impossible. For this you would need to follow a strict diet and exercise schedule. Begin with calculating your current BMI and the desired BMI. Calculate your calorie requirement and plan a diet chart with adequate calories a slightly decreased amount of carbohydrates, increased amount of proteins, little fat and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Span the calories through the day. Several small meals work better than a single large meal. Start with a healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and a light dinner. You may like to consult a dietician or a nutritionist for the same. It is also important to balance the calorie intake with adequate physical exercises. Rotate between various exercise regimens like running, gymnastics, swimming, aerobics etc. Keep a chart of the calorie intake and calories burnt. With gradual consistent efforts you should be able to lose weight.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
That means a balance of medium-high intensity cardio exercise along with challenging strength training workouts.
mishymoshymarcy every day is getting harder... Comment
KeeLolo commented on KeeLolo's status
KeeLolo Did MedHelp listen!?!?! The... Comment
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine