Exercise & Fitness Community
Headaches when working out. What could be wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Viewing 201-225 comments:
first off im glad im not the only one with this problem. i was pumping weights "first time uping to that wieght size" and all of a sudden i got a headache really bad one i wonder if i just give it a rest for a month or so it will heal, but i really want to continue my work out
hi I'm 18 year old and I've been working out for a long time now and i don't take any supplement or protein shakes i just eat rice and egg and whatever my mom makes, but one day my friend gave me some pre-workout stuff i had the headache for the day. Ever since then i started having the symptoms describe on this forum and i immediately  thought of a brain tumor. I am big on my form for my workout so i dont think it's that and i hope it's just a pinch nerve
Did you ever find out what happened? I just started getting these same headaches a few days ago, and though I haven't been working out they come on extremely strong duruing any form of sex, even if I'm not doing any of the work.
oh goodness, I stayed home from work because of a headache followed by throwing up right after a zumba work out last night. Sounds to me like everyone in hear does squads or lifts weights but in my case i do the dance work outs. Everytime i do the work out i come out with a pounding in my head and throwing up and hour later. Last night i wasn't able to catch a minute of sleep and the worst part is that i came to the conclusion that maybe working out is not for me, although i do love it and i need it because im setting the whole day at work. I dont' know what to do or if it's normal, i do drink water the whole day specially when i do my worrk out but the pain is a different story. Please somone help!!
I was training in the gym 5 days a week and all of a sudden i started getting a throbbing pain in my head, now soon as i start i have to stop throbbing and lightheadedness .  
any one else ever had this

I've had the similar headache about 10 days back. I took rest for about a week and went back to gym today. I kept the intensity low during exercise and opted for less number of reps, with proper inhalation/exhalation.

Although the headache didn't came back, but I did felt some stress in my head nerves whenever i eat something or try to chew a gum for longer time .

Do i need to see a doctor or wait for some more time ?
Take a month off from weights and use hard pillow for sleeping. I went to doctor, got an x ray and even saw an orthopedic surgeon, all said take it easy for 2 months. U just need to take it easy for a month or so. I had to take 3 months off from weights after getting that horrible headache which I got during benching. I re-started weights last week, I didn't get that pain.

I think you have pin pointed the root cause of the problem, as I suffered from a similar pain for a couple of days and now when i read your reply i realize that the last couple of reps I wasn't breathing properly, i just tried to push too hard.....

Thanks a tonnee.........
Mine's doing the same,  iin the temples,  pulsing with every heartbeat.  Sometimes during sex..sometimes during workout...Mine actually generates a knot at the base of my skull about golf ball size when it's acting up.  Doc. took x-rays and said I have severe arthritic neck. gave me a script for physical therapy but I travel so haven't gotten set up for that yet.  But i'm continuing my routines as usual.  Just making sure I have good form while working out.  Actually my neck feels stronger from the workouts, but debilitating headaches still occuring at those times.  

When I was about 9 my headaches would turn to migraines, bring a gallon of tears to my eyes, then I'd throw up, fall asleep then wake up later feeling better. Luckily my cousin realised my issue one day and firmly massaged the muscles up & down the back of my neck with her thumbs. I stopped crying IMMEDIATELY! My folks cancelled my dr's appointment the next day & I've never seen a doctor for any of my headaches. It's been the remedy for 95% of my headaches ever since. I keep a 1" thick, 3' long round wood stick to roll up & down the muscles on the back of my neck. Then I'll use my fingertips to massage even further. Keep in mind you need to use force to loosen up the muscles.
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: After a long day at work one time I really wanted to do ab crunches but I had a mild headache. I sucked it up & did 3 sets of 30 & my headache was nearly gone!
I had the same exact thing happen to me while doing a bootcamp class.  It happened when I was doing pushups.  The only thing that I did differently is I had started taking 7-Keto and I stopped and it hasn't happend since.
paul764: yes paul u are right in my case . even i noticed this,when ever i dont take proper breath while lifting weights mostly while pushing above my limits i get headache. so i started concerating on my breath while lifting weights, after that my headache decresed 90%.
Wow omg'd I've totally enjoyed really reading through this thread. I'm an average healthy young woman, and I just started Insanity. I usually work out a few times a week, but nothing this intense. I'm only on Day 2 and I've gotten these massive headaches each time. I will use the advice and check my breathing and blood pressure.

Question: I know that I've pinched a nerve in my neck before, which might also be causing my headaches. But, because I am a full time student I cannot afford health insurance, how can I see a chiropractor without it? Or s there something else that I can try to do to relieve the tension in my neck and shoulders?
I dont know if any1 can remember doing this in secondary school im from the uk by the way , there use to be this huge buzz around school that if u took 20 deep breaths then held your breath and pushed really hard aka make your face go red, you would go all dizzy and feel funny ? then you got a horrible intense pain in your head ? , i remember my science teacher catching me doing this as daft as i was , she explained that adding pressure after intense breathing starves the brain of air hense the dizzy headache feeling after. Anyhow  Ive been worried sick for the past 2 weeks , I also get a horrible pain in the neck/bottom of my head. Ive literally try to rule out everything only seems to come doing my last 3 reps or so its more of an intense pain then it passes after a couple of deep breaths. I still get dull headache afterwards.   Ive found this helped me try to get some fruit before a workout and a pint or 2 of water , but the main thing is to do literally 5 mins on the treadmill slow jog get your heart rate up and most of all try to relax , sounds hard to do when doing an intense workout but i find if u can zone out and focus on your breathing is the key .     Never ever take deep breath and hold it inn on your last rep , your starving your brain of oxygen and the added pressure of  the weight your trying to rep hense the intense pain in your neck/head.  
Hi Desi2482,
I went to a chiropractor after I got that headache from weight..All he did was apply a heat pad on the neck and shoulders and asked me  to take it easy for a month. I think u can get a microwaveable heat pad and use it urself.  I also went to a doctor and I was asked to use a hard pillow while sleeping and stop weights for 2 months. The hard pillow really helped in stopping the neck and head pain.
Hey BDids you sound like me.  28 - pretty darn healthy.  Everything good except these headaches.  I have gotten them twice now, doing leg presses.  The pain was just below my head on the right side, throbbing with every heart beat.  Lasted for hours, I hate not being able to push myself in the gym.  Why go to the gym when I can't even work out hard enough to have any gains, right?  I sit at a computer all day too, poor posture I am sure.

Anyway, how are you doing now?  It's been a few years.  Does it still occur?  I am thinking about seeing a neuro and definitely a chiro.
solution here: I read all the posts, tried the chiropractor aproach even though i never heard one good thing about them before this. i had the same thing...head ache( doesn't matter where according to the chiro) front, under eyes, jaw, left, right, back off head, they are all linked to the neck. the chiropractors cracked my neck four times now over a month and a half, seeing good improvement.stared working out now at about 75% weights, working out great, think i need a couple more visits, well worth 15 min visit at 35 bucks a pop. hope this helps you all out. the chiropractor can explain why this is happening much better than i can, good luck all, i won't be back.
Similar experiences. I work out a lot (every day), a mix of strength training and cardio. I also eat very healthily, take the GNC sports multipack vitamin, and drink protein shakes. I'm 40, and for some reason my blood pressure is a little high at 135/85. A couple of weeks ago, while doing some cardio, I got a headache that throbbed with each heartbeat on both sides of my head. And for the days that followed, every time I exerted myself (exercise, or other ways) the same thing happened. Called my doctor and had a CT scan, which all looked normal. Two weeks on, I still have the same problem. I'm having an MRI today. I'll let you know what happens.
If the blood was red, probably hemorrhoids. I get the same thing sometimes after a heavy workout or after straining a deuce out. If the blood was brown (old) then you have a more serious internal issue.
I m 26 years old, I have been workingout for more than 5 years. This is the first time I m having headache while working out, it's been a week now. Every time when I pushed myself to the limit, my left side of my head hurts like he'll and forced m to stop. Left sidevof my neck hurts too. I m wondering if I had too much workout these past few months, I workout 5-6 days a week, an hr and a half each time, quit taking protein shake from Jugo juice since the beginning of this year. I dunno what's wrong with me.
I am 18 years old and have been weight lifting for 3 years. I take whey, casein, a multivitamin, and arginine. Just last week I started to get throbbing head aches in the back left side of my head. This happened to me before 2 years ago while squatting and now started to happen on my last few reps on bench. I have been lifting though the pain and eventually it subsides during my work out.  Now whenever I push my self in the gym, climb stairs, have sex/masturbate I get the same exact head ache. The head ache even comes and goes as it pleases throughout the day in the same exact location.  I scheduled an appointment to see a doctor hopefully he can help me out. I will be back. Hopefully it is nothing too serious
Can I ask, do all of you sleep face down?  This is the third time I have got these headaches so I am now wondering if it is because of the way I sleep.  Perhaps i need to not sleep face down and invest in an ergonomic pillow, any thoughts?
Hey guys,, I am 25, wt 50, wanted to put some good wt. so started going to gym from almost a month. And now I am here as I am also facing the same as you all. This headache is killing me,earlier I ignored this because I am ding workout after a long time but...:( I get half headache just after 10 mins of workout and continuing that I feel like whole my head will explode & will quit workout. I got a PT .. but no use.. Can someone please help.. I seriously want to put some good wt & muscle..

I was very heavy into weight lifting back in high school. Upon doing cable crossovers one day I found myself on my knees with still holding the cables above my head. A couple of other guys in the gym had come over to see if I was OK. I completely went unconscious and fell to the floor. My head was throbbing so bad that I could barely make out what the guys were saying. Afterwards I would get these headaches after only one or two reps of anything relating to my shoulders.
This was the start of the end of weightlifting for me. Unfortunately back then (1992) there was no info on “Primary exertional Headaches” or “weightlifters headache” as is sometimes referred to.
Ends up with a stiff neck, out of control throbbing headache. Can also be triggered by having sex, typically during the orgasm (as happened to me this morning).
When this first started for me I was very young and partied too much. It has never really gone away. I have tried sooooo many times to get back on the weights. 20 years later still fighting it.
I agree with making sure that the neck is relaxed during the workout. But there is so much more and trust me, you won’t find the answer in just one fix. Try the following: limit caffeine and alcohol for a couple of days before you know youre going to exert yourself. Practice relaxation methods while exerting. Make sure you don’t have any secondary causes such as brain tumors or brain bleeds. Limit stress (people underestimate stress). I will be quitting coffee, limiting alcohol (no more drunkenness, just a couple drinks max, always capable of driving without possibility of an impaired), getting back on the massages, and back into healthy eating.
If you end up with a headache, try ibuprofen taken with some form of caffeine (redbull). It’s about the only thing that works for me. Unfortunately it will take a while for it to go away.
I never saw much of this as I never did get back into weightlifting. I ended up in a career, got married and had children. Now my boys are getting a little older and I naturally want to be a good role model so I have been trying to get the family into waterskiing. Guess what….triggers a headache. I can ski once per day and then I have to sit on the boat in pain.
I guess there is some drugs you can take before you exert yourself to help keep the symptoms at bay (cause we all want to be pill poppers, right?). Propranolol, Indomethacin, Naproxen are such drugs I’ve heard of. I will make sure my doctor approves and then if he does I’ll have him prescribe some.
I don’t envy anyone who goes through this. It’s a game changer for sure.
I'm an 18 year old female, and two years ago (when I was a senior in high school) I began to have leg cramps often. I only got a severe charlie horse in a calf once, but several times during soccer games I would nearly have one, like when I rose onto my toes, but once I stretched quickly it would fade and I'd be back at it. Last year I left for college and play soccer. I stopped having cramps in my calves as in charlie horses and my legs instead began to burn intensely, making it hard to run. It only occurs during exercise. This year I'm a sophomore in college and am still playing, and my legs are even worse. I suck at soccer now because I can't stand on my toes, and if you are a soccer player you know you're on your toes a lot. Recently, I've begun to have bad headaches during exercise too. I don't know if it has something to do with my legs, or if it's because I could do with a stronger prescription of contacts. Either way it doesn't make sense that the headache is so severe in practice, but not during normal day routines, like class. I've gotten an MRI on my lower back, tested blood, gotten electric shocks in my legs, needles in my legs, and multiple tests but everything has came up normal. My next step is to see a neurologist later this month. Has similar things happened to anyone else? I can literally jog about 1 lap on a track and my legs burn as though I've been running a marathon. It doesn't make sense, and it's driving me insane. I'm crying at the end of every practice because of the pain - and I'm not a cryer, especially in public. Any ideas?? :(
was your headache in the front or back of your head?  one side or both
Any luck with the MRI?  Did the headaches stop?  I am getting them in the base of my skull and then they move to the front of my head, but only on one side...
Hello! I am a 33 year old male in excellent shape and health. For those reading these forums scared to death, I would like to share my story!  Last week I was benching 195 (max is 250) and I struggled with the 4th rep.  I had no spotter but willed myself to go for a 5th.  I probably didn't breathe as I slammed it up but immediately was struck by the worst headache of my life!  I'm telling you I sat up and looked around at the people who were about to watch me die of a stroke, brain bleed, or whatever just occurred to me. It was serious!  I considered whether I had enough life-insurance and was angry that I hadn't told my family I loved them that morning.  The pressure was so intense I couldn't see straight and I felt every heartbeat as giant gushes in my head.  A few minutes later it subsided a little and with my hard-headed addiction to the gym, I went outside and took a Motrin 800 before trying lighter weight.  Whatever occurred, the damage was done and further exercise made it worse.  I went straight to bed and prayed I would wake up the next morning.  I recovered and took four days off.  Last night I did extremely light bench (90 lbs) but was repping 50 reps.  When I hit 35 the pain began again but I pushed through it all the way to 50.  YOU CANNOT push through these, you will make it so bad it will cripple you.  Stop immediately.  It worsens so quickly.  This was it for me. This time I was sure I would die, it was much worse.  I stumbled out of the gym and went straight to the hospital.  I was rushed back for a CTscan and it came up negative, and 10 minutes later I was shown the exit with "exertional headache" written on my discharge form.  No prescription, no nothing.  "Stop taking supplements and only work out in moderation" is what the doc told me.  I will be back to the gym in a week (because I refuse to give up my results!), and will take it one week at a time.  
Years ago, back when I was in high school, I had a month-long headache that no one could determine the cause of, which basically made me non-functional without the help of really strong medications that I was put on.  This headache felt like it ran up my neck, hit the back of my skull, and wrapped around my temples.  When it first hit, all I could do was curl up in a ball and call for help.  I had CAT scans, spinal taps, you name it.  It subsided on its own about a month later, days before a scheduled neurologist appointment.  We went to the appointment anyway, and he said that it was the exact definition of a pinched nerve in the back of the neck, which is typically caused by straining (using the bathroom, sex/masterbation, or exercise).  And the neurologist told me that once you pinch a nerve like that, you will be more prone to re-injuring it.

Yesterday, I was in the gym with one of my Soldiers (who is a gym-beast) and was doing curls and it happened again.  The exact same thing, except localized in the back of the skull.  Still feeling it a bit today, but the pain level and feeling were exactly the way I remembered it some 12ish years ago.  Fortunately, I waited a few minutes and rested and it lessened to the point where I could function for the rest of the work-out.  But even today, it is less, but I am still feeling it.
Same here as every one else, been to all kind of doctors, therapists, massagers and headaches keep on coming back. So far on this thread we all are craving for results, anyone had one?  Please be concrete.  Thank you
I do plan to diary this, so to speak.  My goal is to work through it.  I followed someone's advice and began a five minute run before hitting the weights.  I felt fine!  I made my way over to the curl bar.  Did 80 lbs X 8, no problems.  Waited 2 minutes and could only get 90 lbs up 3 times before the pain began again.  I stopped immediately and left.  This ***** so much...all the work I've put in, and I cannot continue.  I will use this as a "meant to be," and concentrate on cardio and abs (which I usually ignore), and wait 1 full week.  I will let you know next week, and next time lighten the load a little...  The good news is that through my research, most people recover.  Mayo Clinic says it is "self-limiting," which means it goes away on its own.  It seems there are many misdiagnosis (pinched nerves, etc).  All of the triggers referenced by 'horeind' are the same as exertion headaches.  However his is a pinched nerve, which has never fully healed.  Most everyone with just the random out-of-the-blue exertion headache says around 1 month to 6 months it goes away.  I sure hope so!
How long ago was your first?  How long continually have you suffered the headaches?
I am 30 now, my first one happened my 10th or 11th grade year.  I have not had one in between though.  But the one I had two days ago, I instantly knew that it was the same as the one I had before, just not quite as bad...or maybe I can just manage pain a little better with the amount of stuff I have gone through since then.  

Still, 2 days later, I am feeling it.  It is not bad when I first wake up, but within an hour I start to feel it, and it progressively grows throughout the day and by the end of the day, I just want to try shut down and sleep it off again...
I've been having the same problem. I'm 15 years-old and 6'1, I am a little overweight but I'm very active. I weigh approximately 207 lbs, I lnow it's a bit too much for my BMI but I go running every morning, do vigourous, fat-burning excersises in order to make sure that I lose weight, but I eat a lot but lately I have been eating very; I just never feel like eating. Anyways I digress since about the start of this week I have beem experiencing extremely painful head aches from the top of my head all the way to the back. For example I was outside and did 118 jump ropes. (I box, I'm not a little girl :P) Everything seemed all right until about  the 105-110 mark. It got so bad I lost my footing and haf to stop. Once I had stopped I verbally expressed the pain, that's how bad it was, also my hands were clapsed around my head in pain the second time it has happened to me severely was today I was doing tri-ups, and I have a pretty good upper-body build so I can ussualy do around 45-65. As i was reaching the 15 mark my head started to pound in what felt like the same area. I couldn't do any past 20. Can anyone help me and possibly give me a good fat-burning schedule? Thank you so much for the help. (BTW I don't lift weights anymore ever since I was a kid.)
I used to have a problem with my weight, but doing 3 days of hard cardio for an hour (such as on an elliptical) with 2 days of low weight, high repetition exercises can help you drop weight fast.  Also, I know that you said that you have not been eating much lately, but you still need to take in 1500 - 1800 calories a day.  Less than that, and your body will actually store more fat so that it has something to burn if necessary.  
norgesic.and physiotherapy.any of these or both got me past it.the neck is injured and you dont know it
Yes, just started a 1400 calorie diet and work out on the xforce machines, when the trainer push me to hard on my upper body the dizziness starts followed by a severe throbbing headache making my eye tear, having to stop and hold my head for about 3mins and feeling light headed the rest of the day.
I just read about your condition with the headaches upon a strenuous workout.  I have been lifting for the past year.  I'm in pretty good shape, 32 years old, 6 ft tall, at 195 lbs.  I'm doing a 3 set, 6 rep program.  I was doing abs on a machine (fly nautilus) and I was on my 3rd set of 6 reps on the very last rep.  I was trying to complete 180 lbs (a new personal record).  I was really trying hard but couldn't get that last rep in.  I was definitely giving 110%.  I was bearing down, groaning....everything.  Suddenly....POP...I felt this weird sensation sort of in the back-left part of my head.  It then started throbbing around my head a bit.  Pain wasn't too bad.  It was the very last rep of my whole workout.  The pain wasn't that bad.  I joked about it with my wife and buddy who go to the gym with me while we had lunch.

Well that was four days ago (on Monday).  Then on Wednesday (2 days later) I did my weight routine again - it was a pull lifting day (Monday I did a "push" day).  I began Wed. with a 30 minute warm-up jog - no problems.  Then I began my weight routine - 6 exercises each with 3 sets of 6 reps (a strength routine).

I got to the 5th exercise - seated rows.  Again I was trying to do a rep that I couldn't do - I think it was 170 lbs.  I felt the pain and the waves begin to emanate from the back of my head again.  This time it was MORE painful and actually alarmed me.  I didn't want to scare my wife or buddy.  I did my 6th exercise anyway, just trying to push through it.  My buddy said that it's probably a pinched nerve or a ripped muscle since it sort of seems to be around where the base of my skull connects to my head.  I have some doubts though based on the symptoms...

So anyway, I do this 6th exercise.  It's shoulder shrugs where I just deadlift and shrug 105 kg.  No problems here but I'm not doing 115 kg which is the new level I would normally be attempting.

We do our final "bonus" which is decided to be chin-ups.  I get to my 4th chin-up....no problems.....but I'm getting a bit tired.  I feel the throbbing start again as I start to push the 5th one so I stopped.  It hurt pretty bad again for the next 10-15 minutes or so.  I've been taking lots of IBproufen ever since.

Later that night I was having sex with my wife and the exertions triggered the same problem as I approached orgasm.  I wasn't lifting any weight though......

Then yesterday I'm climbing the stairs at work sort of quickly - I was running a bit late - and by the 4th floor.....again it starts just a bit.

My question for you is, did it ever stop?  How did you stop it?  How long does it take?  I don't want any serious permanent injury.  I mean this is my HEAD which is worrisome.  

Anybody have any advice?  I want to keep exercising - what's the best way to get better and keep burning calories?  Have any of you had a serious complication such as stroke or brain bleeding?  This whole thing has me a bit freaked out to be honest lol!  I mean just go look at WebMD if you want to be worried!
I think you need to take it easy for at least two weeks. Then when u re-start wegith training, start with lower weights for couple of weeks more. U injured ur neck...If you dont stop the weight lifting, it will never heal. I was in same situation last year, I went to chiropractor, orthopedic surgeon but only rest helped me.
Hey, I am 44 y.o. I have been exercising (and very often to the limit) all my life.  Two days ago I started having the same thing! First time it came when I was making love to me wife. Then it came when I was doing dips on parallel bars to the extent that I had to stop. But the worst thing - it's coming when I masturbate! So if I were religious, I would think that it's a punishment for the sin of masturbation :-)!
Chiropractor couldn't find anything and recommended to go to the doctor. I hate doctors, they have never been of much use to me. At this point I don't know what my further steps are going to be.
Hi all, I believe i know what the problem might be for you all because i certainly know what the problem is for me.

I'm 40 yrs of age and am currently going through another ''exercise/orgasm headache'' period. This has happened to me twice before over the last couple of years.
I believe it comes from deep lying tension or knots in your back.
These tension or muscle knots are so deep you don't even know they are there.
I spent hundreds of dollars on doctors and they couldn't help me. Even when i suspected it might be a strain or a knot in my back causing the pain, 3 massage therapists told me they couldnt feel the knot until, i found a deep tissue massage therapist who listened to me. I showed him where my right trapezius felt tight and he began to massage me whilst i was in his massage chair. Every now and then when he'd press down hard in the right spot using his elbow and i could feel a tickle i'd say yes,yes that's the spot! As he pressed harder i began to feel relief thinking oh wow that feels great, meanwhile, he is standing on the edge of the chair, using his whole body weight(about 75kg) on his elbow into my back and im pushing upwards wanting him to go deeper cause it just felt so good.
After the session i asked him on how to prevent these deep lying knots from returning and he just basically said to do some stretching exercises in my back, neck and shoulders. I did and it went away for about 10 months.
Now recently that my exercise/orgasm headaches have returned because ive been lazy with stretching before workouts etc..I decided to get a mate to stick his elbow in my back whilst having a mild headache and when he hit the spot i felt my headache disappear on contact. I have a massive deep lying knot and tension in my back at the moment that i didnt even know was there. Getting it massaged out tomorrow. Will take a couple of sessions along with stretching exercises but i know my headaches will be gone in a few days.
Best of luck all
You may be dehydrated.
Take in more water before starting work out :)
The dehydration would be the first thing to look at. It affects us more as we grow older. You may have been a bit dehydrated when you were younger and didn't have this issue so it appears as though this is a new issue. I am 50 and have had headaches when working out (or working strenuously) since I was in my early twenties. The headaches are severe, to the point where I fell like throwing up, and can can last hours. The only relief has been to put my head back for an hour or two! When I say put my head back, I don't mean lying down. That makes it worse.Picture yourself walking around Times Square admiring the skyscrapers in New York for two hours. If this is the kind of headache you are getting and the latter is your only means of relief, you are dehydrated.

I tried all sorts of things and eventually found something that worked. Before working out, or doing anything else indoors or out that will result in a marked increase in heart rate and sweating, I drink a power drink like Gatorade. This worked much better before Coca Cola bought Gatorade and changed the formula to make it more tasty and offer more flavors, but it still works. I continue to drink it liberally until I'm done with the activity and then immediately switch to water - lots of it - and try to cool down as quickly as possible. I don't mean finding some air conditioning. I mean dousing myself with a hose, taking a shower, jumping in a pool, ....you get the idea. You need to be careful here. Headaches can be an indication of something more serious like heat stress, heat exhaustion, or even heat stroke. I had heat stroke when I was 29 and nearly died. My doctor believes that may be contributing to the headaches I can have when working out now.

It is simple now. If I follow my routine and don't overdo it, I am fine. If I don't, headache for 2 hours.

I started crossfit 3 months ago. The exercise program is pretty intense, even considering I've been working out (running, weightlifting, martial arts etc) since age 13 (I'm 30 now). 2 days ago I was doing double unders, which is just jumping rope, but two revolutions of the rope for every jump. Ive been doing these since I started crossfit, and doing regular jump rope (single revolution) for years with no issues. The only difference with double unders I guess is a higher jump to allow for the 2 revolutions, thus causing more impact upon each landing. For those of you unfamiliar with crossfit, it also involves a lot of Olympic lifting, which includes heavy squatting. So to the point, 2 days ago at around rep 100 of double unders throbbing headache in my temples! I crumbled to my knees terrified. The headache subsides slowly but it took a few hours to go away completely. I left the gym and went home scared reading a lot of unhelpful sites that scared the hell out of me. This thread seems to be spot on. I went back today and the warmup was double unders. This time on rep 75 same headache. The splitting headache forced me to stop,jumping rope. This time however I proceeded to do a very intense workout after lasting 45 mins (no heavy weight though it was 45 mins of rowing, push-ups and rope climbs). The rest of my workout was pain free. Later that night the headache came on during sex. Tomorrow I will be doing squats which is the first heavy lift since the headaches came on.

I think backnotsAL comments above is describing exactly what I'm feeling. I know a doctor is a must do just in case of a brain issue but I'm sure that'll be a bunch of negative tests followed by a stop working out message. I will try deep tissue and hopefully have the same luck. Well keep you all posted.
Problem solved. No more looking up during any exercises and stretching my scalenes. Also not clenching jaw. What a miracle fix. Also took a propanerol (spelling) to completely kick this things ***.

Are you workingout or engaging in sexual activity when it happens? If so it's either from tilting your head back or holding your breath. Follow the link below and stretch your scalenes, I fixed myself in a week or two. This all assumes it not something more serious such as an aneurism (aneurysm) which is lower likelihood but always possible

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3TPLt5mkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwwCaVNQJ3s&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SCqFhV2Frk&sns=em
I have  been working out regularly for over 25 years. I have also been taking energy supplements for several years. I have never had problems with headaches. 4 days ago after taking a thermogenic on an empty stomach I started working out everything was fine until I did pushups, after about six of them my head felt like it was going to implode; I had to stop. The pain was unreal. I never felt anything like it. It seemed concentrated in the back of my head. I had to take aspirin and lay down. I thought it was a reaction to the thermogenic,but  I have not taken an energy pill in three days and this morning just doing tricep dips I felt it coming on again I stopped immediately.Now I'm afraid. I can't stop working out it's my life. What could have caused this?
Viewing 201-225 comments: