High levels of oxygen in blood
3 year old twin girls with no apparent symptoms.Delivered by C-section at 32 weeks. RSV shots given for two years. Very active twins with no illness. Lab was requested due to premature tooth loss in both girls.  Recent CBC showed abnormal high levels of oxygen in red blood cells. Additional lab was completed to double check. These results have not been completed. What could be causing the twins to have same conditions to oxygen levels and what are the long term effects, if any, that can result from this? Can the high levels of oxygen in the blood be treated back to a normal level? Can the lungs be causing this to occur? Can this condition cause any other problems.
Hemoglobin is the part of the red blood cell that catches and holds oxygen as it passes through the lungs, and later trades that oxygen for carbon dioxide at the cells and carries that to the lungs for expulsion.  The primary agent for this is iron, also called erythropoieten. Excess erythropoieten may be removed from the blood by a process called chelation, or it may be done in a blood bank where units of red blood cells blood are removed, leaving the rest of the blood in tact.  Not a dangerous proceedure, but I have never heard of this being done on children under 10yrs.  Conditions that cause this may include heart disease, pulmonary fibrosis (both bad things), or it may be hereitary in nature and have no cause. Left untreated excess erythropoieten can be life threatening.  Hope this helps
erythropoetin and iron are not the same thing. Erythropoetin is a hormone released from the kidney that encourages your body to make more red blood cells (which carry oxygen). Iron is iron, a mineral, and does make up hemoglobin which binds the oxygen.
    my brother went to hospital before two days the doctor say u have excess red blood cell is ther any problem on his health ? what is the cause ?
hello im 16 going on 17 and i have been diagnosed for high oxygen levels and i asked the doctor if its a bad or a good thing she said " im not sure i really dont know" , but she told me to go to the hospital for a cbc and indices .?. and i just want to know if having a high oxygen level at my age is normal ?