How can I safely add more resistance to an exercise bike?
Hi there

I have a magnetic resistance exercise bike, but the maximum resistance just isn't enough for me. I looked into adding more magnets, but this doesn't seem possible on my machine.

I was wondering if I could add some weight to the pedals (or to the bars that connect the pedals to the fly wheel) in order to get more resistance?

I have read in a few places that wearing ankle weights while using an exercise bike is not recommended - but in this case the extra weight would be attached to the bike, not to me.

Provided I don't add too much weight - just enough to achieve a moderate increase in resistance - will this present any safety or injury risks?

Thank you for your advice!

Kind regards
Tom
Having had home exercise equipment, you'll probably just damage the machine.  I do find it odd that it would have so little resistance -- maybe you're not using it properly?  But for best results, either go to the gym where they have better bikes or buy a heavier duty one.  Or, and I know this is radical these days, buy a real bike, go OUTSIDE, and ride hills.
If you remove the cover from the fly wheel you should be able to see a turn buckle. turn the buckle so it brings the magnet close to the fly wheel that gives it more resistance.
you will need to loosen the nuts on the turn buckle to adjust it.
And if it doesn't work, Gymdandee will, of course, readily pay for your repair bill!
Pax. I have my education in electro-mechanical and automation tech. how do you think you would adjust it? not by a tension belt
P.S. if the bike has batteries replace them!
I was just joking, Gym -- have no idea how these things work, only that my wife has bought exercise equipment and it doesn't hold up well and the vendors can't fix it very well, either.