Low abdominal pain when running
I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced some of my problems. I am a 27 year old female; I am in a pretty good shape. I exercise regularly and for the last 3 months I have been running 3 to 5 times a week for 2 miles. My problem is that sometimes I would get very severe LOW abdominal pain when running.  Sometimes is on the right side, sometimes is on the left side. It does not happen all the time, though. I worm up and increase my speed gradually. I am not sure if I should I see a doctor about that. If anyone has had anything similar, please share. Thank you!
Are they cramps or stitches?  These happen more often if you eat within the few hours before a run and/or if you don't breath properly.  Side stitches are a good indication your running too fast.  If your going to eat prior to exercising keep it light and eat slowly making sure you can digest smoothly.  If you experience abdominal pain or cramps when running slow down to walking speed and stretch out the muscle.  Exercise Related Transient Abdominal Pain (ERTAP) is something everyone encounters and is really nothing to worry about but if your still concerned there's no harm in consulting a physician.
hi
i'm a 20 year old female and latley i've been experiencing the exact same thing, I was searching it on google to see if it was normal and i know what you mean by LOW. I've been running for quite a while and it has recently been happening. The pain is unbearable and sometimes brings me to the point of screaming into a pillow. My mom has wanted to take my to the hospital because shes seen how much pain I am in but it goes away after awhile. I'm just wondering as well if anyone else has had this and knows what it might be. its definatly not stitches it could be cramps but i've never experienced anything like it. I cannot explain how much it hurts and how theres not way to stretch or position your body to lighten the pain. I sound so dramatic with it but i just came back from a run where it happened and the pain is fresh in my mind any help or info would be greatly appreciated because it truly is unmanagable
I was treated by a physical therapist many years ago who gave this condition a name. Or course, I can no longer remember it.  It usually occurs when the heart rate is elevated quickly, and has to do with the bloodflow through the arteries to the legs. The only thing to stop it is to walk and slow the heart rate down.  Constant stretching of the groin is supposed to prevent some of it.  I used to get it after running hard sprints in high school and it still bothers me to this day.  I have been able to run 5 miles at a time, but I have to start very slowly.  I also noticed that if I stopped for 10 minutes and started up again the pain did not come back. An empty bladder is crucial to the problem as well.
I get severe abdominal pain during a certain point of my menstrual cycle when I am running but not when I actually have my period. It also happens when i am running outside, and seems to occur after I reach a certain level of exertion that i don;t seem to get to when i go to the gym. I'm 27 and have had this problem since i got my first periond, and it's only an issue for about two weeks of the month. It can come on during the run, or when i am walking to cool down. I have never had a baby, but it feels like contractions might...its a dull, indescribable pain that leaves me shaking and wanting to go the bathroom etc etc. When it eventually dissipates, it goes in waves, until about 30 minutes after my run it is as if nothing happened (feeling normal feels like bliss at this point)....never met anyone with this problem...a doctor put me on the pill for it once but that didn;t really help.....
I am agreeing with everything that VeryPinky is saying. My cramps go away after about 10 minutes and walking, but I still have a vague feeling of the cramping for several hours afterwords.
I have seen a sports doctor, but he has not been able to diagnose anything.
The cramps only appear about two weeks before my period, and then disappear when my period begins. I do quite a bit of physical exercise, but am most consistent with road cycling and running. I never have the cramps when I am cycling (even when I do 1.5hrs of steep hills), but only feel them when I run.
I have had this problem since I first got my period (I am now 22), and my sisters have a similar problem but don't do enough physical exercise to be able to notice a pattern for themselves. I have done quite a few tests of the lower abdomen (enema's, x-rays, ultrasounds,...) and nothing comes back conclusive. One of my other sisters has also been tested a little. but again nothing.
If anyone has any thoughts on how the menstrual cycle ties in to this whole issue, I'd be willing to hear it. If it can be regulated to some extent by diet, I'd like to hear that also.
As for physique, (not sure if that would make a difference), I am 5'10, well built, strong, and basically have not a lot of extra fat (sometimes a little though)...
I don't know if your problem has been fixed yet. I was just going to throw in my 2 cents. I had similar problems when I would run back in highschool. I had chronic pain that would present itself when I would run for about a mile fast or 3 miles at a slower pace. The pain was just left and below my lower abdominals (right around where my hips/legs make a crease).

After about a year of trying to figure out what it was, I finally found out that it was a tight psoas muscle. I was still hitting growth spurts at the time and one PT I talked to theorized that the muscle wasn't growing as fast at the rest of me. At 27, I doubt growth spurts are the cause but it could still be a tight or cramping psoas muscle.

I would suggest trying to stretch it out a bit more before/after you run if this sounds similar to what you have.

Good luck.
I agree with VeryPink. She described it perfectly. I'm 26 years old and I get this pain sometimes when I push myself a little harder than usual. It's not the typical muscle cramp. Sometimes it's so bad I have to stop running and kneel/sit down in order for the pain to subside. It definitely feels like contractions, and it is sometimes accompanied by nausea, and the feeling of fainting if I don't rest. The pain usually goes away 10-15 minutes later. Taking deep breaths seems to make it worse. I have these pains during, after, and before my cycle. So I have no idea what the cause is. I just know I want it to cease!
I'm 28 and I have these exact same cramps.  I thought I was the only one, and people look at me like i'm crazy or stupid when I try to explain it, but it completely floors me.  I roll around on the ground in agony for about 10 minutes then I can get up and be perfectly fine.  But for the 10 minutes its like giving brith.  I've also had an ultra sound.  I've made sure that im hydrated. Ive tried morning workouts, evening workouts, eating, not eating, everything.  I get them from cycling, hiking, running...anything where i exert myself to much to fast.  I think a long slow warm up is key.  which isn't always convienent.
at least now i can show this to my husband so he won't think i'm crazy!
I am a 21 year old female and get the same cramps when running! It seems to come on when I reach a certain level, around a mile or two.  It is the worst pain ever and if I dont run though it, it just gets worse.  For me if feels like I am having bad contractions and the pain spreads from my lower abdomin to my lower back.  It is such a terrible pain and I have seen two doctors about it that have no idea what it is and have just tried to put my on the pill..I need help!!
The most common reason for lower abdomina pain while running:
Exertion of your abdominal muscles
Connected with Periods
Infection inside
Stones in the kidneys
Idiopathic: No reason and something to do with your ergonomics, like surface you run, shoes you wear, position of your back etc.
Physiotherapist/Fitness expert can help you in determining most of the cases and condition other than this you have to visit a Doctor.
Take care!
I'm 44 and have had the exact same thing for about 7 years now. My cramps start w/in the first 20 minutes of jogging or biking, particularly if I exert myself too much too fast. As soon as I feel them coming on, I stop and walk for about 10 minutes, then I seem to be okay. If I try to jog thru it, the pain is so bad I think I'm going to pass out and my insides are going to fall out. It feels like I'm giving birth. If severe, all I can do is roll around on the ground until it passes - which usually takes 20 minutes and subsides in waves. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or when I workout. But, I am starting to think a slow warm up is key. Alternating jogging and walking for the first 20 minutes seems to help.
Please check your mineral balance as, if you are low in Potassium/Magnesium you get cramps. Also have a balanced diet and have sometimes fresh fruit juice after the work out and it helps as it has the required minerals and vitamins. Try to control and do the exercise which suits you and all types of exercises may not be suitable to everyone. Always think and try to find out better avenues of exercise which do not exert you but allows you to lose calories . Take care!
I am a 24 yr old female who also has the same issues. I don't remember ever having this in High school when I ran cross country, i spent a few yrs  without running and just recently started back up again. I thought perhaps it was from starting off with 2 miles right away . But ive been running for a few weeks now and the pain just isn't subsiding, even though i feel my resistance is better and i'm more in shape. It occurs for about 10 minutes and yes it is like giving birth! it is absolutely awful! I am a good at pain tolerance , but this is just absurd. It completely doubles me over.  I am particularly worried as I plan on joining the military in a year or so and I am trying to get into tip top shape as I want to be at the top of my class. But I am afraid that if this happens during my training i will be eliminated.

It only seems to happen when i slow down to a walk at the end of my workout, and never when i'm running. I run outside, I have been to the doctor and ruled out any pelvic problem. My diet is healthy, high in iron, protein, but very low in carbs. I try to eat natural glucose sugars found in fruits and vegetables. I am afraid of eating carbs because i feel it just causes more bloating.

I find that the only thing that helps is laying down on the ground on a cool surface to alleviate the pain and squeezing my lower abs to perhaps hope that i can squeeze out some gas from it. Its' awful!
Start with a healthy breakfast, with a bowl of fruits.  Fruit sugar & fibre rich carbs would not bloat you. You can always avoid simple carbohydrates and sugars, continue the balanced diet with primarily protein as your major component but the desired carbs and add fresh vegetables and fruits for the minerals and vitamins, drink required quantity of water. Check your blood pressure and other basic parameters like haemoglobin etc and if everything is normal do not worry as they would not eliminate your from the military after this. The only thing is you decrease the intensity and see if you get the pain and you can always go ahead to your peak level slowly. Take care!
It was so comforting to read all of these posts. I feel the exact same way as most of you who posted. I am a 23 year old female. I exercise fairly regularly (run for 45 min 4-5 times a week at a speed of 5.0 on an elliptical). Typically about a week to five days before my period, I get severe cramps approximately 10/15 minutes into my workouts which force me to stop running.  In response to the pain I have no choice but to lie on the ground in the fetal position for about ten minutes before any of the pain subsides. During these ten minutes, I have that stitching pain that, like you all have said, feels like you're giving birth (although I've never had a baby). As I lie on the ground basically unable to move, I don't know whether or not my body wants me to throw up, go to the bathroom, or just lie there for the duration. The ten minutes feel like an eternity; like the pain is never ending. It's terrible.
I noticed that the majority who posted were in their twenties. I wonder if it's typical among this age group. I also have a family history of endometriosis. Does anyone know if this might be a direct correlation with that? I get terrible cramps (cramps similar to those I get when I work out just before my period) two days into my periods as well. During these beginning days of my period, I often feel nauseous, weak and need to have a heating pad on me almost constantly to feel any sort of relief.
Lastly - I read one of you posted some physical characteristics - I too am 5'10, eat mostly healthy, and am relatively thin. I wonder if physique is a factor as well.
You have to understand that you are having premenstrual symptoms called PMS. While on PMS you are adviced not to do any physical activity.

This is common with some ladies and also there are mood swings. Eat healthy and only exercise when you are fine after menstruation.

If the pain becomes unbearable we advice you to take smooth muscle relaxants, drink sufficient water and visit a Gynaecologist if your symptoms worsen. Take care!
-   Not related to PMS...     I get cramps/ stitches or something that I do not know what it  is in my lower abdoman.  To start i am 20 yrs old and have been a runner for years, and gotten this for years. It will start within the first 30seconds  or right from the get go of my run to the point where i may last a minuet and be in so much pain i have to stop.  I dont know why it happens but it does. Sometimes I will have just eaten, other times an hr light befor, or other i wont eat for hours to see if it is food.   Under all circumstances it happenes.  Sometimes i get it after 8 mins and by 10 mins i have to stop because it hurts so much.  I am on depo. aka i dont get my period and i still get this regulary.  does anyone know why??

please help
You have to check your abdominal muscles and try to strengthen them.
Do some weights and floor exercises and under the supervision of a trainer start running.
If you have the symptoms still: then we advice you to go for medial check up for your vitals and a Gynaecology examination for your lower abdomen.

Do not stress yourself, do alternate exercises till you solve this, have proper sleep, balanced diet. Consume fresh fruits and vegetable salads in your diet.

Take care!
Dear fellow sufferers,
I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that I am not alone. I too suffer from the same abdominal cramps. I have noticed that we all share almost identical symptoms and situations that seem to induce the pain.

-Cramps come on during strenuous exercise.
-Usually at the beginning or soon after a streunous push during running.

In my case I found that I always get it when I start running, only in the mornings, and only if I start going immediately uphill and I run it relatively fast. If I run later in the day, start on a flat, take the uphills more gently I don't get it. It also usually occurs mid way though my mentrual cycle. I had it yesterday morning at its very worst for about 15 mins of rolling around on the street  clutching my knees and imagining I was giving birth! This afternoon I experienced some mid cycle bleeding which was a first. So I am worried.  However I also know that I can control it. The minute I feel the first 'twinge' which is usually in my lower sacral-illial part of my back, I slow down and walk. When it subsides I continue and usually the pain does not come back even when I run hills. I am curious whether it is a style of uphill running where my back is unnaturally concave which puts pressure on the nerves like the sciatic which in turn causes cramping of the abdominal muscles? I also once experienced the same pain when in the gym on the stairmaster. The motion I noticed was the same as running uphill and I had not warmed up sufficiently.
I am planning to visit my GP but based on accounts here am not holding out for any revelations. I am 37 years old and my main concern is whether it is impacting my chances of having children. I have regularly exercised all my life although running is relatively new for me as is uphill. I only started getting this pain about a year and a bit ago..unlike some of you that have had it for years. I am 5'3" and small build, normal weight. I am pretty fit at the moment through other exercise during which I never ever get this pain.
I don't know whether this has been any help to anyone but my advice if doctors are not a help is to find means of exercise that doesn't bring it on. Or to look at your style of running to see if it is related.
If anyone has some medical advice I would love ot hear it.
Hello!

You should condition yourself by walking uphill gradually and then you can run and exert yourself.
You should have proper breakfast or food to give you energy as you are stating that you have this problem only in the early morning.
Juice and fruit platter also would help and do not run or exercise in empty stomach.

Do not exert yourself unduly as some women have problem during menstrual phase, premenstrual phase and during this time do not exert yourself and take rest.

Also consult a fertility specialist to check upon the stress levels and your other vitals and its effects on you getting pregnant.

Take care!
Am reassured to find this discussion - I have absolutely the same pain - a crippling period pain without the period (although it can occur at any point during my cycle) that happens when I run outside. I first remember it from running cross country at school, tho none of the other girls had the same problem.

I find it a bit terrifying as god knows what's going on with my uterus when it's happening - like many of you I am also worried about the wider health implications - but have been able to find no reputable medical reference to it (although it seems to be a relatively common problem). It seems to be mis-understood as muscle cramps/stitches or PMS - of which it is neither, at least for me.

I am 28, healthy, fit, eat well, exercise well - love running on a treadmill (which doesn't jar the body, perhaps relevant?), and would love to be able to run outside too (for one thing, it's free), but this problem is definitely preventing me doing so. Help!
Ladies, you are not crazy and regardless of what that doctor says it's not PMS.  You are having uterine contractions. Yes, the same uterine contractions that you have during labor.  This is brought on by a combination of electrolyte imbalance and strain/jarring on the uterus and the muscles around it.  Taking a calcium supplement like TUMS before your run should help - and drinking electrolyte enhanced water products should also help (either before or during your run) and then of course - if the cramping should happen.

You'll probably notice that the pain happens more when you run/cycle outside and if you're especially hot or not well hydrated.
hi. im a 16 year old girl.. about 5'4 and 115 pounds.. i run cross country and track. this year, during cross country races or just during a rough practice i get these awful AWFUL cramps really low on my stomach.. i try to run through them but sometimes they get so bad i have to stop and double over and clutch my stomach.. if i try to keep running they just get worse. i sometimes try to go faster so i can get done sooner and stop running so the cramps will stop.. but with increased speed the cramps worsen.. If i stop and start back up again the cramps come back and then i just feel really naseaus and it seems like my legs are going to give out.  ... it seems to happen right after the 2nd mile of a 5K or just when im going at a faster pace than usual.. i eat fairly healthy and run 2-4 miles 5 times a week.
i have been suffering form this exact same pain for as long as i can remember! i dont just get it from running but any strenuous excersise. not matter what positioni lie in it just doesnt help. for the 10 minutes it lasts i am in the worst pain, theonly redeeming factor is that i know it will be over soon. however it feels like it goes forever. sometimes i vomit form the pain and i cant drink water or eat like some people have suggested because im just in too much pain to do anything but lie there and want it to be over. i have recently found that a good position while ithapopening is to kneel on your hands and knees. and sometimes it results in dioreah
Dr. Vinod - thank you so much for taking time to regularly respond in this forum regarding this subject. Maybe, if you have an interest, you can truly help us...just be sure you are actually listening to us because it sounds like no doctor has been able to help anyone here. We need someone to think outside the box on this one.

Ladies - we all seem to be having the same exact symptoms (minus a few that get this confused with side cramps). It is such a relief to know I am not the only one and that I am not crazy.

These symptoms we have are happening to all of us of different sizes, health status, ages, heights, and the list goes on. I don't believe that this is something that is "wrong" with us as much as it is a painful inconveniance.

My pain started when I was 12 and got my first period. Every month I go through the same thing. I am now 33 yrs old and have started running. For the first time in my life, there is something other than my period that causes this pain. Onset of the cramping while running is when I sprint for more than 30 seconds.

We can figure this out - we can find a way to avoid this pain. Its just a matter of understanding what our body is trying to tell us or what our body thinks is going on with us and ruling out what we all know that doesn't help.

My partner (MD, PhD, Oncology Surgeon) mentioned her one theory (she will be the first to tell you she is not an OBGYN) that when the uterus is "jarred" or disturbed - it goes into protection mode and increase the amount of protective fluid around the uterus - mainly between the colon and the back of the uterus. Increase in fluid causes pressure, which causes poor circulation, which causes pain to the areas directly around the uterus (lower abdomen and top of legs), and also causes a full sensation in the bowel. She suggests taking a couple of Advil (to prevent or lower the amount of any inflammation that might be going on during this) before running - i have not tried this yet but I will be trying it tomorrow.

Someone else mentioned long warmups and stretching tend to help - this might make sense if it will help with circulation.

I have rushed myself to the hospital a few times, had surgery because my OBYN thought I had Endometriosis, have tried the pill, have tried chinese herbs, have tried vitamins, have tried diet, have tried exercise...nothing works as well as Advil - but this cant be the only solution - as it is only a bandaid.

Lets keep sharing possible remedies!

Hi Newrunner98,

I experience what I thought were the most horrible menstrual cramps (without the period) for the first time while running yesterday.
I started running about 2 months ago with Fleet Feet in Davis, CA and I have been running regularly without this pain until yesterday. I have run 5 miles with my group and never experience the cramps before.
They were so bad that I had to tell my running partner that I had to stop because of the cramps. I couldn't take another step and was dizzy, nauseated and basically felt like ****! I was so upset because it was our last long run before our Turkey Trot 5k next Saturday and I've been feeling great otherwise and I was trying to figure out why I got them. I thought it might have been the Gu that I had, but I have had it before without a problem. I was at a loss.

I went to the doctor's office after and was surprised to hear that the doctor didn't/couldn't figure out exactly what it was. He said it could be cramping from dehydration, ovarian cysts, intestinal problems, etc, etc. Basically, he was not very helpful and I wasted my money.

I was very relieved to have found this site and read the other comments/stories about this. I did notice the cramps after mile 2 and they started while I was going uphill on an overpass. I ran the exact route today minus the Gu (I thought it was the problem) and got the same cramps. I stopped and walked for  about 5 minutes and then I was able to continue and finish feeling great.

I guess I will make sure I am extremely hydrated and I will try taking 2 Advil before my 5k. I hope to nip this problem in the bud and not have this horrible experience again.

Thank you for your suggestion!

I am very happy to know that it wasn't in my head/I'm not alone!!!!!!

NewRunner71 - Welcome to the club :(  I don't wish this on anyone.

So - I did try the Advil prior to my sprints (it seems like heavy exertion might be a common cause for all of us). And it did help. I experienced a dull ache instead - which i knew would have been worse with out the Advil. But this allowed me to continue with my work out/running intervals and the little ache i had went away with in 10 minutes. I will try it again this week just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

If anyone else is reading - let me know if this helps you as well.

On the other hand - when it comes to my period its much worse and usually last for 30-45 min. If I take at least 3 Advil prior to the onset of the cramps - this helps me get through it but still it is disruptive to my day/work/sleep (not nice waking up to it at 2am). And the main issue is that I have to guess when those really bad cramps are coming on so that I am not taking 3 Advil every 6 hours for 3 days - the good thing is that I pretty regular and I have narrowed it down to day 4 or 5 of my cycle...but I am looking for an alternate solution. Any ideas from those of you that have this pain during your period?
      It is good to know that I am not alone in this thing that I've come to see as a curse.

I am an extremely fit 18 year old girl. I am very active participating in sport after sport. I've experienced this horrible phenomena for a few years now. Minutes after finishing a run, be it a mile or 3 (my personal favorite), I will have extreme cramps similar to menstrual cramps. However, my cramps are exponentially worse and unexplainable. When I get them I do not have my period nor am I PMSing. I usually feel as if using the restroom will help to ease the pain but it provides no relief. Sometimes I will have diarrhea in accompaniment with the pain. Nothing makes the extreme pain go away and I usually end up crying in the fetal position,the pain sometimes causing me to vomit.

As a result of this, I have avoided "plain ol' running" like the plague. I started college this year and started to go to the gym on a regular basis to lift and do cardio (3 times a week). The episodes don't occur ever time I go running, instead about every couple weeks. Whether I run on the treadmill or on the track it doesn't matter and the pain occurs immediately after I cease exercise. I had one of these hellish episodes this morning and spent 15 or 20 minutes curled up in the fetal position at the base of a toilet in a college dorm's bathroom. I am angry, fed up, and frightened. I want to understand what is going on with my body. I am in some of the best shape of my life yet I am completely debilitated by this unexplainable pain on a regular basis.

I am an extremely fit 18 year old girl. I am very active participating in sport after sport. I've experienced this horrible phenomena for a few years now. Minutes after finishing a run, be it a mile or 3 (my personal favorite), I will have extreme cramps similar to menstrual cramps. However, my cramps are exponentially worse and unexplainable. When I get them I do not have my period nor am I PMSing. I usually feel as if using the restroom will help to ease the pain but it provides no relief. Sometimes I will have diarrhea in accompaniment with the pain. Nothing makes the extreme pain go away and I usually end up crying in the fetal position. The pain will sometimes cause me to vomit.

As a result of this, I have avoided "plain ol' running" like the plague. I started college this year and started to go to the gym on a regular basis to lift and do cardio (3 times a week). The episodes don't occur ever time I go running, rather every couple weeks. Whether I run on the treadmill or on the track it doesn't matter and they occur immediately after I cease exercise. I had one of these hellish episodes this morning and spent 15 or 20 minutes curled up in the fetal position near the toilet in a college dorm bathroom. I am angry, fed up, and frightened. I want to understand what is going on with my body. I am in some of the best shape of my life yet I am completely debilitated by this unexplainable pain on a regular basis.
Vuke! I am so sorry to hear this, but at the same time SO RELIVED that there is someone else who is suffering throught he same thing at the same age as me. I just turned 19 and I am in pretty shape myself and have been running and working our for years. I have seriously been in the same position as you- rolling aroung on the dorm bathroom floor, the side walk, some ones driveway- lol I know what you mean, the only responce to this that has made any sense to me is the "uterine contractions" i have never given birth or been prego but if i was going into labor this is what i would think it felt like. I wish i could give you some productive advise but the only thing i can give you is comfort that some one your age and shape is going through the same thing. Good luck and keep me updated if you find anything else out and I will do the same. My email is ***@****

merry christmas
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem, I have gone to the doctor's through multiple tests and they look at me like I am crazy and diagnosed me with the catchall disease irritable bowel syndrome and put me on medications which do not work at all.

I am a 26 year old female and have been having this problem since about the age of 18 and it feels like I am having contractions and I stay curled up in a ball for about half an hour until the pain subsides but for the next few hours after that I have a dull aching sensation and I am just so tired after it the pain wipes me out.  It is the worst with running inside or outside it happen within about the first mile.  I have tried about every kind of diet that the doctors suggest but nothing makes a difference.
Hi all,
Its sounds like I got the same problem like alot of you.
I`m now 21, and have had these types of pains since forever.
I can`t remember when they started, but it must have been around the age of 11-12. Never thought about it before, but this was also the age I got my period. So might got something to do with that.

The fact that only girls(or mostly,haven`t checked) in here are posting about it, also makes me think it has something to do with the period. I always said the pain was like really bad menstrual pain at its worst. Usually alot worse than the acually menstrual pains I get during my period. My menstrual pains during my period are usually not so bad.

Anyway, when I first took notice of it it wasen`t as bad. I love sports, been very active since I was youngs. So when I played soccer matches I just had to play 5min, then I got the pain which lasted about 5min, then back out again. Of course, people didnt understand the pain, thought it was cramps or something.

These pains kept comming each match, sometimes it went away for a period then came back. The periods I didnt have it, sometimes over a month,sometimes many months, where periods with less hard physical activity.

It wasen`t really a big problem until high school. The class I was in, was a special sport class. Where we do alot of sports activities and pysical acitivity than normal high school clases.
This was the time it came back,worse than ever. I had not been having to much problems with it the last years before high school.
Now, It was really just keeping me away from getting into good shape.
Everytime I took a run, played soccer etc. the pain came. Usually the pain only lasted 5min, but during soccer or a timed run, that will just mess up your whole excercise. During intervalls I even cried in front of everyone while my teacher was holding me into his chest to comfort me. God, that was embaressing. But I think they understood better than, that it wasen`t just an excuse to not run. that it wasen`t just normal cramps. Some did, not all though. The main reason for me crying was off course, not the pain,but becuse I was so upset and tired of it. And its not the first time I have cried over it infrustrating. I also had to bench myself, like I often do, in a soccer match. I started crying, another players mother tried to comfort me and ease the pain by using massage. Which didnt help at all.
Main problem though, when u first bench yourself becuase of stomach pains, then say u are ok in like 5after, people dont belive u had pains:P.

I still got the problem, but now its not so painfull anymore, its abit different. Which I have been having more of the recent years. I get the pain, but abit milder. But on top of that, its like I my stomach is completly empty. I got no energy. And all I want is to jsut play soccer once, and use my full pysical ability. Only a few times I have been lucky enough to play with full energy and no pain.

The one time I ate chocolate before a match lol, that have never worked since:(. The other time I took some pain tabet, which I take during my periods. And that worked I think. Never tried it again, as I dont think about it.

I never feel anything when I lift weights. Sometimes I dont even feel it when I bicycle, even though the worst pain I ever have gotten from it was when I was riding my bicycle. The other day I even felt it, the start of it, when I had a snow fight outside.. Where I just bent up and down to get snow and trow snowballs. No running or nothing, just alot of very quick bending over to get snow then up.

I can usually feel when its comming now. it build up, so if I stop then, it might help. But the problem is, it now no longer goes away after the pain disapears. Somtimes it can now come back again when I start the excercise again. Especially the feeling of having no energy. Yes, I know how to eat properly before excerice etc.

I also read somewhere that people usually get it when jumping right into hard excercise witought proper warm up. This has been mostly the case for me too. But a long warm up is way to boring and time consuming. It has its effeect though, even though I have gotten pain even when really just warming up for the whole training seasion. Runningg slowly that is, like really slowly. Thats when u really get frustrated, when u cant even run slowly witought getting the pain or feeling of a empty stomach and no energy.

Oh, can also say that I did go to a doctor about the problem. He said something about a inflammation of the muscle tendon in my abs. I tought maybe then it had something to do with to many sit-ups and such.As I couldn`t really do many abs workouts before my stomach was really hurting over long periods(weeks). Usually it should hurt after the first workouts, but for me during one period I just couldnt do ab workout. I just had to much pain doing it after first workout.I haven`t expericend this the last years though.

Anyway,the doctor said I had strong abs during that time. I read somewhere people saying that building up your stomach muscles help, but clearly not. Or maybe i`m training the wrong stomach muscles.

I live for sport pretty much, so I owuld do alot to make it go away. But I dont think I would use medicine.

wish you all the best with your stupid pains.

Ps.sorry for the long post, its kinda late here so didn`t have time to make it shorter. It feels good to share it with all you people though, who I know belive me:)

i have the same problem! i thought i was crazy! it has nothing to do with pmsing or my period! it happens at the same strength at any point in the month! I started my period when i was 12 and i am now 16! these pains only started a little over a year ago! i am a very athletic girl and i am a black belt in karate! i have rigorous training that i have been doing since i was 11! So, this training isn't anything new! i got second in the national tournament last year and i want to do the same this year! But i get these really bad lower abdominal pain it's not a menstrual cramps it similar though and worse! It happens after about 10 min of running! and it really hurts!  On top of that i'm national team captain this year and everyone else looks up to me so i can't stop! and it hurts so bad! i feel like that maybe if i go to the bathroom it'll go away but it doesn't work!  I'm not even suppose to leave to go to the bathroom either but i have to! it hurts so much i just double over kind of think!  One of my karate teacher whose a girl, i think is aware something is up, but she doesn't know what! i want to win i can't give up! but i can't figure out how to get rid of these cramps! my diet is fantastic! I drink lots of water! i've tried eating not eating! everything! i've also tried advil too but that doesn't seem to do much! please if anyone one knows something please help!
I have been experiencing the same kind of symptons as everyone else for many years always in the 2 weeks before my period. After reading all these posts I tried the warming up suggestion and have found it works - I have now done it 3 times in a row without any pain and without having to stop. I do a lot of my running in the gym on a treadmill and I have found that warming up on the Orbitrek where there is no jarring works well. This is not ideal for outside running but I expect some kind of non-jarring warm-up will work.

Thanks for helping sort my problem out!
reading all the comments are great cause my daughter is 14 and has the same problems...she has been in sports since the age of 4 but the pain and cramping started this past summer out of the blue!! different doctors but not any better...tried warm ups and diet and otc medications but nothing helps....i make her drink water during the day and increased fiber intake but nothing seems to help....she is in high school now and enjoys soccer but can not play.....wishing for a cure?!
Oh wow! I am glad I found this forum. I am a 30 yr old female. I use to run back in highschool and beyond but for pleasure. I had open heart (2nd one) at 23 which since then I have developed asthma enduced by exercise. Yes it's real. I know it sounds like a cop out. I went to the gym yesterday and today and both day I experienced a VERY LOW abdominal pain.  As a female you will understand that when I say it feels like a very bad mentrual cramp.  This kind of happend back in July when I went running outside. But being I live in sunny sunny hot FL I just thought I chose the worst time to go which was around 1pm. I thought maybe the heat and everything contributed to the pain. When I came in the house I literally had to go in the fetal position on the floor.  Well yesterday I had the pain again after doing my interval run/walk exercise. I did run at a faster pace during the run intervals. Today I ran even faster so maybe it does have to do with over exertion.  I even drank more water today before going and ate a banana to see if that would help. Today was worse than all.I thought my insides were about to fall out.  No joke. I also felt nauseous and a little faint. I've never experienced this before and I've exerted myself. Now being I've suddently developed the asthma I don't breathe how I use to when I ran before the heart surgery.  So quite possibly it could have to do with low oxygen with a combo of over exertion.  I usually would warm up more than I have. I am just glad that others have this same issue b/c I was becoming a little worried.  I will try to warm up with a slowe walk first like I normally have in the past then go into the run/walk intervals. Thanks everyone.
Hey guys, this is interesting as i unfortunatly suffer from the same problem as the majority.
I am a 16 year old girl who plays a lot of netball and and is constantly exercising. I first noticed the pain in my very low abdominal when i was 12, (this is also when i first started my periods so i am 100% sure that they have resulted from them). I have felt that the pain has increased in intensity during the past four years and alike to most of you i only experience it during the 2 weeks leading up to my period during intensive exercise and as soon as my period has started its gone. I have felt it during all types of exercise especially running and cycling.
I can agree that it builds up as your exercise becomes more intense, to me it feels like a fire in my uterus(as well as the same-ish as menstual pains) and i have to stop for 5-10 minutes before it goes away. If i stop exercising just as it is starting and is not as intense it will go away faster and i am not in so much pain. Once it has subsided i can continue with my exercise and it will not return for the remainder?? (which i find weird?).

I have found that no matter how much warm-up i do i will still get this pain if i go intense, so i began thinking that there could be a problem with blood flow through that region and that it might take those blood vessels longer to get used to faster blood flow, seeing as its definatly related to periods??? (im no doctor so please correct me if you think im on the complete wrong track and dont know what im talking about!)....

I have tried magnesium tablets for cramp but no such luck =[ (i believe its stronger than that.)
My doctor pretty much had no idea what i was talking about and the nurse suggested that i had stomach migranes from stress but i thought that was a rubbish theory so they ended up giving  me ibuprofen pills which i take two of half an hour before any intense exercise during the two weeks before my period. These are the same pills that i take for my period pain and they do work on the pain. I dont want to continue having to take these pills all the time but until......(someone can work out what this pain is???) i will continue.
Over the past four years I have come to the conclusion that this pain is not something serious, its just something that is there and possibly will always be there.

Just wanted to add my bit but I really do hope that i have been some help to someone and i hope that someone can pleeeeaaaaaaaassse help us =]
I'm male not only female have this problem when running also males when to much hearth rate or exertion.
While I'm extremely relieved to find that I'm not alone, I'm also so sad to read that no one has really found a "cure" for this!  I'm 32 years old and have been experiencing the exact symptoms that all of you have described since I was about 12.  The pain is always brought on by strenuous exercise (which is pretty much the only kind I enjoy!) and always happens a couple days prior to getting my period.  I've tried taking Advil prior to working out on the days I think this may happen and while it helps a bit it certainly doesn't keep the pain from coming on.  It has been so bad for me at times that I've thrown up or had diarrhea.  I just think it is so bizarre that after 10-15 minutes of this unbearable pain I am able to resume my workout as if nothing happened.  My husband feels so terrible for me, and I know it scares him to see me in so much pain, but there is nothing anyone can do.  I just have to wait it out.

While I appreciate the Doctor responding to some of these posts, I have to agree that this has absolutely nothing to do with PMS, a vitamin or mineral difficiency, lack of hydration, a poor overall diet, or a person not being physically fit enough to exercise.  If it were caused by any of those things at least one of us would have figured it by now!

If anyone has any ideas about what to do to eliminate or even minimize this pain I would be thrilled to hear about it.  At this point I will try anything!
SO happy to hear I'm not alone, or have a lower pain tolerance than I thought!
I am 16 years old and experience this not every time I workout, but often.  It seems to be happening more and more often though, and I am pretty sure it depends on the time of the month.  Just like everybody else says, it is INTENSE and spread in the lower ab area, and does cause diareah sometimes.  I feel like a wimp especially when conditioning for soccer with my teammates because I can't handle this intense pain sometimes, and it goes away completely after 10 or so minutes. It doesn't even have to be a long intense workout to trigger, even during short softball conditionings or a couple of line sprints it comes.
ALEVE is what I use with all of my other problems, cramps in my calves, and everywhere else. Pray that it works for this!
hello everyone. my girlfriend had the same problem too. she was joining a cross country event and was worried that the pain would kill her chances of winning. we did a research on this matter on google and found a sort of 'cure', here it is: http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html
But it's not on the side.
Like all of the posts here, I will be running and suddenly suffer a lower pain in my abdomen -- always the right side - and it brings me to my knees for about 10 to 15 minutes. It's like contractions or a sudden onslaught of a severe menstrual cramp. Recently I started taking Ibuprofen before a run and this has helped immensely - though I take 600 to 800 mgs, which some people may feel is high.

I've had other circulatory issues as well. I'm 35 and as I've gotten older this has happened more frequently. IT is very much as if parts of my body can't habndle the sudden engorged blood flow.

Yesterday I suffered the same thing after about 30 minutes, came off of the treadmill and bent over in pain as usual. For some reason, I saw an exercise ball - those big ones - and decided to wrap; my body so that i was a bridge sitting on teh ball. hence, the abdomen was higher than everything else and getting a good stretch also, but it was a bridge supported by the exercise ball. Within SECONDS the pain subsided. I went from extreme pain to - nothing. !!!

My theory. I've practiced special stretches for my abdomen for a long time and it doesn't seem to keep the pain at bay. BUT. If the pelvis is elevatged to where the blood flow is lessened, then whatever is engorged will subside.

Advil. Make sure you are very hydrated. Stretch well anyway (make a bridge lifting your pelvis up for stretches works well). If the pain happens, try any way to get your abdomen higher than the rest of your body.

And give that area love, despite the absolute irritation it causes!
I was having this problem and after seeing my OBGYN she said I have an adhesion. My uterus has adhered to my abdomen wall. Every time I run it pulls and starts cramping/contractions. I had a C-section that caused this so it won't apply to everyone but if you think it's uterine related go see your OBGYN!!
So glad I found this website and now know that I am not the only one with this problem. I have been dealing with this for about two years. It doesn't occur with every workout, but I never know when it will occur until it starts coming on (usually about 15 minutes in). I am usually on the nordic trac ski machine but it has also occured while inline skating when I am really pushing it. It does seem to happen when the workout gets more strenuous. I have learned (from experience) that once the dull ache starts..... to stop my workout unless I want to be doubled over. Once I thought my husband would have to take me to the ER. The pain starts dull in my lower abdominal (pelvic) area and radiates through to my back. ( I once had a ovarian cyst to rupture and it reminds me of the pain I had from that). I have no kids so not sure about the giving birth pain...lol. If I keep working out when this starts, I end up in the floor with more severe pain and eventually my stomach is torn up so I have to go to the bathroom. I know that it usually eases up and goes away if I stop my workout...and then I am fine (really strange). Its just very frustrating and concerning, I guess if it was dangerous it would have already killed me. I asked my OBGYN about it and he blew me off by saying he didn't know what it could be that maybe I should consult with a personal trainer.
To add to this very long discussion, I was glad to see something related to what I get, which is the same as all of you...sharp lower ab pains.  I haven't gotten them in a while and I think today it was because of the strenuous start of my spin class instead of a gradual one.  Mine seem to come about 20 min. into my workout, in waves of about every 2 or 3 minutes, and it actually felt like I had to go to the bathroom REALLY bad....anyone else? I was so mad because I had to leave the gym bc I thought I was going to fall over in pain!!
I'm 29 years old and just starting going back to the gym. I'm in great shape! I get these pelvic pains when I simulate any kind of running on the machines. Normally I just run through it, then continue my workout on the various other machines. It feels like I'm filling up with air, and that there is a sharp, pulling inside. It is several inches below my belly button and spread out all over my pelvis, so I don't think this is an intestinal issue. It tends to feel the sharpest at my hip bones. Well today, it was so bad that I was unable to use the other machines right away...I tried. I had to sit down for 10 minutes while I had what felt like sharp, painful contractions. I've never had any kids. I was unable to walk or stretch it out. I just froze in one position waiting for it to pass. I wish it only felt like menstrual cramps, then I wouldn't be so worried about it. I contemplated going to the ER.
It's now an hour after my workout, and I can still feel some very mild pain.
I would suspect some sort of uterine problem, like an adhesion, possibly endometriosis. I suppose there could be some sort of really tight muscle that I've never heard of. Next trip to the Gyno I will bring this up and post what they think it is. Good luck!!
Hey guys...i recentlys started running and i as a beginner i ran 4 days straight about 2 miles per day and i got this really bad cramping in my uterus. Its been about 5 days the pain is a little less but everytime i put pressure on my uterus like bending down it hurts and sometimes i feels its my ovaries. I dont think its hernia because everytime i cough or sneeze it doesnt hurt its just when i put pressure on it it hurts. I dont know whats wrong am really scared. Please tell me whats going on. thanks
Hello!

My suggestion is to rest for couple of days and rule out menstrual or premenstrual cramps. I would also suggest you to get yourself examined near a physician if your symptoms continue.

Take care!
If you are taking Evening Primrose, do NOT take it between ovulation and menstration!!! This will cause uterine contractions. I was getting the same pain in my uterus about 2 miles/10 minutes into my run and it was only relieve by walking. Do not take ibuprofen prior to running to try to cure it, instead take in more ORAC's or OPC 3's to naturally fight off the inflammation/free radicals your body is creating. You should not get uterine contractions if you take evening primrose from menstration to ovulation only, you can switch to flax seed oil for ovulation to menstration.
OKAY the pain is unbearable. So I went to the Doctor OB/GYN she is treating me for "interstital cystitis." I only get the pains when I exercise or at times with intercourse. They last about 7 minutes of hell and then I start to freeze, have to go to the bathroom, and at times bleed. I have noticed that if I take a pain reliever (Ibuporphen) I don't get as much pain. Today I was laying on the side of the road promising I would never run again! I am 31 in great shape and this has beeing happening since high school. I was an athlete my entire life and I eat well, drink plenty of fluids and I am just wondering if anyone was diagnosed with something. It has to be like contractions...it is the worst pain and then after about 7-10 minutes its gone!!! BTW I am so thankful I found this blog!
I have the same problem. Its crippling. Running actually causes my period. And the others are right, it actually feels like giving birth-waves or sever pain like contractions. Its extremely frustrating bc im not even out of breath when i run so i dont ever know when this is going to happen. Sometimes i will go for runs and have such a hard time getting back to my car bc it doubles you over. Im worried about how it causes my period though. Does this mean i will have the same issue when i become pregnant? Im worried that i will be prone to miscarriage. Does anyone have an information on this?

Also, and this is just strange bc i have yet to have a dr give me an explanation on this but when i do get my reg scheduled period, i get serious knee cramps. Crippling shooting pains in my knees. None of my drs have ever heard anything like this. has anyone had this experience? I feel like an abnormality over here :)
iltowne,
I have the exact, exact same problem! What is causing this. i am in good shape too and work out regular but for some reason, when i run this happens. i know exactly what you mean by being stranded on the side of the road in pain. Its so scary.
From Brian
i am very happy to find all of youll here. Sad that i dont see very many boys with the same problem, but have said that my problem is a little different,,, as i get the dull pain by walking or even sometimes by sitting for too long. Like most of youll i to dont know wither i need to go to the bathroom during the pain or whatever, having said that urinating making the pain go away the only problem is that i dont have an infinite supply of urine.
So far i have been to the doctor and gotten some kidney,liver,,,, origins ultrasound test and everything has come out cleared.
ummmmm by the way i am 26/male, 5"11 and thin and have had heartburn for the past 1 and a half years, and i can hear my stomach too alot nowadays.
I took some laxative drops when the pain began, thinking i was constipated, it did'nt help the pain but i did get out an old black hard &&&&  :D sorry but i through i should share everything,,, so any advise on what i should try next???

I came here a few months back and read all your responses hoping that someone knew how to stop this. I may have a suggestion!

A little background:
I'm a 29yo female and I started training for the police academy about a year back, I was very unfit at the time, but not overweight. Once I got fit enough to start running for some distance I started experiencing pain in my lower abdomen that was so bad I would have to stop, and I felt like curling up and dying. It felt like very bad period pain and it would not go away quickly. It was horrible. A few times I also had diarrhoea right after/during the pain which made the pain a lot better. I tried a few things mentioned here and they helped me a little - I started hydrating myself a lot more, I would drink throughout the running and this helped a lot. I also found that slowly building up to the long runs also helped a great deal, but there were still times that it would happen.
As I got fitter though, I started running further and further and nothing seeming to ensure the pain would stay away completely. I was really worried about how it would affect my training at the academy. I started drinking some of those electrolyte drinks before the run and drinking a lot the night before, and this helped a little more. I thought for a while this might just be the best way to manage it.

One day, though, I noticed something!

This might sound really strange, but I found that holding the waist band on my pants and underwear out away from my stomach made the pain a lot better when it was happening. I also realised then that these were, not super tight, but snug, and wondered if this might be a factor.
So from then on I've done a few experiments! I've made sure that each time I train now, none of my lower garments are tight or too snug (Of course not loose enough to fall off! Though I'm sure that would work too!), so there is very very little pressure on my abdomen.
Now, to test my theory, I've also reduced the amount of water I drink, just to see if the pain returns. And you know what.... I have never, not once, experienced that pain again. Not when I drink less, run more, run faster, drink nothing at all. Not once!

I don't know if this will help anyone else, perhaps my issue was different, but the symptoms were identical to everyone else here.

So perhaps the wall of the abdomen is overly sensitive to anything constricting it? No idea, but I'm thrilled that I no longer need to worry about this! It was horrible.

I hope this helps any of you out there with this very annoying, painful problem.
Good luck!
I am a 23 year old female long distance runner.  About two years ago, while I was training for the NYC Marathon, I started experiencing the extreme, totally unbearable very low abdominal pain only on my right side (with lesser pain on my left), as so many others have described here.  The pain would begin with a sharp twinge, either while I was exercising or resting (but I work out at least once, often twice daily, so I am always "close" time-wise to a workout), and it would eventually become sharp, unbearable pain, feeling as though someone was twisting a knife through my very low abdomen through to my back.  The entire area would become cramped and my whole core would ache.  Since these episodes started, I have been to the emergency room 7 times.  Every time I would hold out as long as I possibly could, deal with as much pain as I could, and then after usually a day plus of no relief (plus nausea and vomiting from pain) I would reluctantly go to the hospital. The pain has been so severe that on three occasions, the doctors in the ER have given me Dilaudid (an 11x concentrated Morphine) which was the only medicine which would dull the pain enough that I could relax and stop vomiting.  Every time, I have been tested for every sort of other, non-muscle related problem:  yet, all these tests have shown excellent, completely healthy blood work, no sort of ovarian/ob-gyn problem, no GI problems, etc.  Of course, every ER doctor assured me that there was no way my vigorous running and daily working out could have caused this....they viewed me as a top level athlete, the picture of health.  Multiple doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me, and I sadly resolved myself to having to live with this pain, never knowing when it would hit, never knowing when it would end.  

Thank GOD, I finally found three doctors who helped me figure out what this pain was.  First, I had been referred to the elderly gynecologist who has literally written the text books on ovarian problems...he asked me absolutely everything about my health history and daily routine.  He was the first to suggest that he thought this was a muscular problem, after saying my gynecological health was sound.  Secondly, he consulted with my new GP, an awesome woman MD, who agreed that it seemed to be a muscular problem, but promised that we would exhaust all avenues to find what was wrong with me.  She referred me to her friend, who is a Physical Therapist, who finally found what we had been looking for for two years: extremely distressed, very tight hip flexor muscles, added to chronically stressed adductors and groin on my right side.  It seems as though for some reason I long ago started just slightly favoring my left side, which caused my muscles on my right to be slightly less strong and  slightly less flexible....apparently this is not uncommon, but the amount of training for races, etc. that I did in the meantime caused the slight imbalance to produce excruciating pain.  

My physical therapist is amazing.  He is treating me through friction massage to my hip flexor, groin muscles, and adductors on the right side, and has given me a set of exercises to perform daily specifically to strengthen the  right side.  In the meantime, I am taking about 8 weeks off of running to rest my joints while the muscles around them heal, and upon my PT's advice, have taken up running in the pool, which allows me to maintain my cardiovascular endurance while causing no stress to the hip joint, which has been irritated from all that has been going on.  My PT has told me that my condition may have become exacerbated to the point of having to go to the ER so many times because I have wide hips for a female runner (I have an "hourglass" body type, with my chest and hips measuring the same, and my waist 10 inches smaller than them).  The extreme angles between my waist and hips, and then again between my hips and knees, have caused more pressure on my frame than most other female runners experience on theirs.  

I am sharing this experience because I want other runners to know that this DOES happen and you are not alone.  For two years, no doctor could give me any answer, and it was an endlessly frustrating and lonely (and soooo painful!) place to be.  If this is happening to you, I encourage you to find an excellent physical therapist - ask him or her to check your hip flexors (especially the psoas, which is often overlooked), your groin, adductors, and abdominal strength.  I am still undergoing treatment and will be for a few more months, but am hopeful that the hard work my PT and I are putting in now will pay off in the long run and will avoid any more horrific episodes of that excruciating abdominal pain.  I encourage any runners who have questions about my experience to write to me....I hope this post will help someone else much sooner than I myself was able to find help.  

Good luck and happy running (injury free)!!

I am 16 and 5'10" I have had this pain for about a year now. I have found that stopping as soon as I feel any pain and doing ab work that targets that area for about 2 minutes really helps. It seems to happen to me more when I am dehydrated on long workouts. I have found that drinking about 2 glasses of watered down crystal light helps as well. I am so releaved to hear I don't have some horrible medical issue!
Thank God others get this! I usually get this discomfort if i exert myself too quickly...
It feels like severe period pain! horrendous..dunno what to do with myself when it occurs..just look like a freak in public when im bent over in the road!
I am fit and healthy, I honestly think its related to my cycle. my period is due in 5/6 days, i just think the extreme exertion aggravates everything down there. It happens when i do sprints...nasty!

well if labour is worse than that im definatly taking every drug i can get my hands on!!!

beth
So, I am an on and off runner but I've been in pretty good shape this year and have been running every other day. In junior high I had the worst stomach cramps that made me have to go to the bathroom during school 3 times a day. I was usually late for school... late to class.. had to ask to leave class... etc. It was very hard for me to seem normal. I ate well, was on the tennis team, and so on. I had an ultra sound  but it showed nothing, then what wasn't obvious at the time was WHAT I was eating. I had my first food allergy test. I wasn't severely allergic to anything but I was very intolerant to wheat and cane sugar. I started eating better and it eventually stopped happening so regularly. I'm 18 now, and since I've been a runner I am now doing something about this stomach pain. Now i'll explain it

Tuesday morning- 8am
Met up with a friend to go running

Started running slowly and 10 minutes into it I started getting this VERY low abdominal directly in the center in between my hips.. if that makes sense. Anyway I thought I could deal with it but I told my friend I had to stop. This is what usually happens. (The times this has happened before I could walk it out but I usually couldn't start running again) This was the worst it has ever been and I felt like I was going to start my period for a while before (I think I'm gonna start my period a lot though) To ease the pain I usually bend over and look like I'm an old man, which is quite embarrassing. I don't know what contractions feel like but if I had any idea about what it felt like this would be it. It does come and go in waves but this time it was staying and would only go for a couple seconds. I told my friend to go ahead and that I would walk back to my car. I then realized I wasn't going to make it (and oh the time this happened before I felt like I had to go to the bathroom so I did and nothing happened It just went away because I sat down) Coincidentally my other friend lived close by but I could barley walk at this point (still bending over) I had to make it to her house to use the bathroom and I did but It took a while to get over there. I can't even explain the pain I went through I felt like I was going to die. When I made it to the bathroom, I did go... but the pain wasn't going away and I started to shake and feel like I was going to throw up. I didn't but I was still feeling pain. I got up and finally the pain went away. I don't know if it was because of my period, dehydration, constipation that triggered it or something, or all of the above. It might have been why it happened this last time but the other times it has happened confuses me still. I just know I never want to feel like that ever again.
I am 5' 11 and have the same pain as everyone has explained. I ve noticed a few things personally over the past 5 years. If I run very slowly and warm up the pain doesn t come as frequent or as severe. I started having this pain when I was 15. I continue running but can NOT start out running fast or else the pain is so intense, I am in tears and feel faint. Even though this has been very discouraging I still keep at it. I used to LOVE competing but it isn t a reality unless I am on heavy medication or pain killers. Taking pain killers makes me feel lame and lazy. I feel almost that I cheated my way through an invigorating hard workout. I don think popping pills (even simple advil) is good in general. I have to every once in a while. On a regular basis I stick to warming up with a slow slow jog and gradually building up speed.  That is works for me at least. I still love running though... I am convinced there is nothing like a good run. Happy trails everyone!
My God do I feel all of your pain!!! I'm 26, female, stocky build & I've always been pretty athletic. Played softball for 12 years & was a collegiate athlete for a short time.

I've gained a little weight since then, but I've been consistently running for at least 3 years now & I suck at it. I do ok with running on the treadmill at a steady speed of 4.0, but take me outside & I die!!

I just don't get it. I still struggle with even a freakin mile & if I try to kick it up a notch, after I'm finished I get the most AWFUL lower abdomen pains-which you all are describing. It is absolutely horrible! It doesn't happen to me all the time, only when I really push myself.

I've noticed that when I lay down & elevate my feet-the pain seems to subside a bit (& take deep breaths). It helps a little bit, but not fast enough. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but it knocks me on my butt! It only happens when I'm done running, never before. I'll definitely try the advil & tum route! ugggh so frustrating-I'm ready to just say the hell with running.
I also experience this lower abdominal pain while running or doing aerobic exercises for an extended amount of time. I am a ballerina so I am very flexible and have a strong core. Incidentally I rarely experience this pain while dancing, but every time I go for a jog my uterus feels like it's on fire and I get home and run into an ice cold shower to alleviate the pain. I thought this was a uterus issue but I went to a bio-feedback doctor who said everything with my uterus is fine other than some toxins in my body. He gave me remedies but my pain still persists. Is this a muscle thing I wonder? Any advice would be great.  My advice to everyone else is for immediate relief is to curl up beneath a very cold shower.
Hi guys,
I am 15 years old turning 16. I am 175cm tall and weigh 70 kg's. I am not very fit at all, so I recently starting running to build my fitness level and get in shape for summer and experienced the same symptoms as all of you! My running route includes some hills (nothing too huge), I drink a glass of water before every run and I don't eat beforehand. The first run I went on was in the morning and quite strenuous. After about 20 minutes of running, I noticed some lower abdominal cramps similar to period pain, but I kept running because I thought it was just a stitch. After pushing through the cramps for about 2 more minutes, I started to feel extreme pain and throbbing in the lower abdomen. I got really scared and starting walking home fast. I felt really nauseous and I was preparing myself for when I was going to faint. I ran through my front door and sat on the toilet (I assumed the running had stimulated my bowels). This pain (feeling like someone is jumping on your stomach while wearing heels) continued for about 20 minutes and left me really shaky. That evening, I went running again to see if the pain was a onetime thing and after about 15 minutes of running, I realised it wasn't. The pain was the same excruciating feeling like that morning. The next day at school I told a few friends about the pain and they were like wtf. One of my friends did a Google search for me and found this page (I WAS SO HAPPY!!!) I read all of the comments and I didn't feel like a massive freak anymore! I definitely think this thing has something to do with periods, as I got my period a few days after the run.

I just returned from another run, I wanted to use some of the tips you guys gave me. I did stretches beforehand, walked for about 10 minutes before jogging and was extremely responsive to my body and didn't push too hard. After 20 minutes, I stopped jogging to alternate to walking and the pain kicked in . It had just started so it wasn't too bad (and I have my period at the moment so the 'less pain thing' might have something to do with that?). This is going to sound really silly but while working home and enduring the pain I thought of all my fellow sufferers :) I got home and cooled my body down by taking my shirt and shoes off. I also got into the position to drain the blood from the pelvic area (head down, butt up, hands and feet on floor) and this really helped. The pain only last for 10 minutes and wasn't nearly as bad as the last times.

Thankfully, I have learnt how to deal with the pain and be responsive to my body :) Until someone finds an actual scientific explanation for this weird annoyance, good luck coping! Especially to those who would like to have a career in sports. Thanks for the support guys and always carry a pillow with you while running in case you pass out from the pain and hit your head on a concrete path ;)
I'm a 27 yr old male and I get these pains too. My 6 year old son also gets these pains during soccer practice. I think this is a muscle problem and has nothing to do with  PMS or the female body because I feel it exactly as you all explain it. Unfit people don't get this because they never push their bodies beyond the comfort of a lay-z-boy with 3 scoops of ice cream. I'm going to warm up and stretch b4 a run alot more, and ask my wife to massage my hip/psoas muscles a couple time a weeks to get blood flowing in that area

thanks, Ralph
I am very relieved and a little astounded to find this discussion!  

Relieved because like everyone else, it's nice to know it's not just me (as none of my sporty-type friends have a clue what I'm on about when I suddenly have to stop mid run and lie my stomach on a rock/bench/tree stub/fence whilst sniffling cries of agony!)

...and astounded because this seems to be a not so un-common problem (I'm from the UK and there a few similar discussions on UK based forums but nothing as extensive and helpful as this one) yet the medical world seems to be completely unaware of it??

There are a few mentions of muscular/groin pain but I don't think this applies to me.  My issue is almost identical to BlackDaisy who posted on the 9th July 2009.

I'm 25 years old and I was a bit of a lard *** at school, so have only taken up running in the past 3 years hence when the problem started!  I know how to avoid it now, I have to leave at least 5 hours between having ANYTHING to eat and running - which is fine if I'm going for a 3 miler after work but is a little inconvenient on the morning of a race for example!  Also if I want to run a bit longer, my energy dips unless I have a sports drink.

If it does come on, which is usually when I have to slow down or stop, I literally feel as though I have to squeeze my lower abdomen, lik BlackDaisy said, so get the gas out...and when I do it's usually okay within about 10 minutes.

Anyway I look forward to reading anything else anyone has to say on this annoying subject!

Cx

I am a 30 year old female and have been in good shape my whole life.  I started getting the pain of death, as I like to call it, when I was 27 after months of a consistent and rigorous workout routine.  Just like you all, I'd only get it when I'd do cardio, mostly running.  I've always been a runner and cardio freak, so it was devastating to not run to my potential anymore.  I've been to my doctor many times and had many different tests done to no avail.  

The only thing I can come up with for myself, and maybe it'll help some of you, is paying attention to my diet and hydration.  I'll admit it... I love diet coke.  Don't judge.  But, I'm thinking that is definitely a factor to the pain since I notice a huge difference in the way I feel when I work out and hadn't had a DC that day.  I generally drink a gallon of water a day, or more if I'm working out, but paying attention to my diet is another thing that has been evident in decreasing the pain.  

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for this conundrum.  Hope it helps someone!
Hi, I have the same problem, what feels like 'uterine cramps' about 10 minutes after starting off running, especially if I go straight uphill and always this only happens in the two weeks before my period, stopping when my period starts. The pain lasts about 10 minutes and I have to walk to make the pain go away. It is such an annoyance as it really impacts training and racing, i.e. you have to not take part in competitions if they are in the two week period. But more than this annoyance I am really worried about it's effect on having children. Has anyone had children who has these cramps? I would be afraid to run while trying to get pregnant because of this, any advice?

Thanks X  
i totally feel everyone's pain--literally!!!  this problem started about 9 years ago for me, when i began training for my first triathalon.  i used to run all the time in high school, about 3 miles a day.  but often i split it up, where i would run a mile, walk a mile, and then run the last one.  i found that doing certain leg lift exercises helped the pain.  however, recently, i've been training for my first half marathon.  the pain is BACK when i do anything more than 4 miles--and today, just having done 2 miles, it has really effected me.  my pain isn't sharp.  it's hard to described.  it's exactly how i feel during periods, however, when i used to have them (got an IUD and they stopped).  it's like a huge dull ache cloud over the my lower abdomen that can become so uncomfortable i'm unable to stand, sit, lie down, whatever.  i have been to the ER for it, and they said that nothing was wrong with me.  WHATEVER!  i've heard about runner's diahrrea, but i don't have diahrrea with this.  

i do plan on popping some Aleve a half an hour before i run, and some tums, and being more diligent about a nice warm up.  i am looking forward to finding some relief, as i'm sure the rest of you are as well!
Hi, i am 20 years old And also have the same problem and same symptoms. But usually I feel it after I exercise, it's so bad and also feel the nausea and i usually get bloated  It's horrible and eventually goes away after about 10 minutes and so does the bloating. Although I don't get it every time I exercise, it comes for about a week. It's so strange.  I talked to my mum about it and she said she had the same thing when she was my age but eventually grew out of it. I never knew of anyone either who had this problem.

Anyone know what it's called or how it can be helped?
Hi I am a sixteen year old female. i am astounded by all of the comments on this one subject and how no one has been able to find the cause of this pain. i have been having all of the symptoms as you all have listed, extreme pain in my lower abdomen after about ten minutes of exercising. when the pain comes on, i have no choice but to quit exercising (which is usually running) and double over until the pain ceases. i have had this pain for around five years and i have never come to a conclusion and as i can see neither have the doctors. my pain however does  not relate to my menstrual period or what i eat. i experience this pain almost constantly. it is in various places of my abdomen. i feel them when i am standing for too long, walked for too long, or just stretched normally. idk how to explain it exactly, i have been doing research and i cant seem to find anything. i have been to the doctor, and the nurse didnt seem to care what i had to say; they gave me an ultrasound and said they didnt find anything. now i know for sure something is wrong and i highly did not appreciate them trying to convince me 'oh it's just normal, mild, or pms.' i also experience this sort of popping in the same various places of my abdomine. popping when i cough, laugh, or sneeze. if you placed your hand on my skin you could actually feel it pop bc it would hit my abdominal wall. it is severe pain and i know we are all sick of it. I feel your pain, literally. i appreciate all feed back on this issue.
I'm still at school and this thing is horrible. After/whilst I do cross country or rowing or Hockey or anything like that I have to lock myself in a loo and sit it out. A couple of my friends have picked up on it, they have commented on how the blood drains from my face when it happens, that's probably just the pain though! I have felt light headed during and after the pain. I keep it from teachers etc because i know that it will dissapear after awhile, and I just think it would be a difficult to explain to them... if I were a teacher I'd get seriously worried if I found a student curled up on the floor in pain!
Hello everyone!  Just letting you all know that I've been doing a lot of research about this, anything from people describing it as "runner's diahrrea" to conditions described with no name (like our forum!).  Even though I don't have diahrrea during/after I run, I have noticed that my body does seem to want to get rid of things in my intestines.  Other websites have said that running jostles the intestines/bowels, and can cause a lot of discomfort--most of us feel it where our uterus is located, because the bowels are back behind it.  I've found that the biggest help to me so far as been to make sure that my running gaite is proper--they talk about about your feet should always be right under your hips, and it should be more like gliding, which can cut down significantly on the jostling.  I also got super cushioned/support shoes.  Cost me an arm and a leg, but so far they're worth every penny.  Hydration, fiber, and probiotics to make sure my digestive system is working properly have also really helped.  ***** I have to do so much, and that there still isn't any guarantee that it will work, but so far in my very short little experiment, it seems to be working.  Just wanted to pass it on in case it helps anyone else.  

As far as other activities, like rowing, that have been causing people problems, I don't know about that.  So sorry!  But I wish you all good luck in trying to find helps--please let me know what works for you!!!  :)

Like everyone else I am so thankful to hear that I am not the only one with this awful pain! I'm 19 now, but started getting this pain my senior year of cross country. I had run cross country and track since middle school, and had only started experiencing the pain my senior year. I like many of you get sever cramps in the lower abdomen along with a numbing sensation in the top of my legs surrounding the groin area, and lower back pain. It's absolutely awful! It feels like you are going to die or pass out!
It seems to happen when I exert myself to quickly on a run, and I find that if I slow down or walk for a while the pain goes away and the rest of my run can be pain free. It's not a perfect solution especially for those still in competitive running, but I don't know of any other way. Others of you mentioned wearing loose clothing, taking advil or even a tums before a run, along with being hydrated and eating plenty of fruits and veggies.
I hate to be negative but these appear only as remedies to me. I hope one day soon there is a clear diagnosis with a cure!
I have this same unbearable pain, severe low abdominal cramping while running.  I’ve had this strange pain for 15 years.  I started using a magnesium supplement two weeks ago and the pain has disappeared!  It took a few days for it to go away completely at first.  The pain decreased over about 3 days and then went away completely.  I use a fizzing drinkable brand.  It tastes good and seems to be readily absorbable.  This is still an experiment in progress for me, but it's going great so far.  
From brian_dean2002

This is my second visit here, the first was seven months ago in may 2010, scroll up or search brian_dean2002 to see my first post.

I still remember those days when i use to be in pain and would wonder wither i would every gain live life without this unnameable pain? but now i am 100% and have been like this since 2 months now. SO here is what i did.

After getting all my tests done and finding out that everything was ok.
I changed my diet from a 90% meat based diet to a 90% vegetarian diet for one week (now i am almost back to my 90% meat diet again).
But and this is a big but, i also started drinking GRIPE WATER :D about 600ml of it a month, something like 3 spoons 3 time a day.

Either it was the diet change or the Gripe water 50/50 or both, i don't know but whats important is that
Now i am ok :D :D :D

So give my solution a try, a diet change just for a little time (week or so) cant be dangerous and neither is gripe water (non alcoholic one offcouse).

And I hope youll too will soon feel better.  

My biologie teacher told us about cramps today. When you exercise and burn up sugars to make enrgergy you have to convert sugar to ATP. Let's say when you uses oxygen to change suger to the ATP you get 26 ATP per one suger unit. (I'm kinda making up the numbers but it's still giving a good example) and if you don't use oxygen, for every one unit of auger you get 2 ATP and animo  acids. (can't spell it) when your worker harder and need more energy than you can take in oxygen to provide the acids build up in your muscles and cause cramps. If you can be trained to take larger and more efficient breaths you can run faster and farther.

By now you should be in good shape and are healthy. I can recomemd the seal stretch, where you lay on your stomach and push up on your hands keeping your hips on the floor. It streachs your abs and feels soooo good.

Anyways you might need to get your back cracked. I don't think a doctor would do anything other than give you ibuprofen.
I'm a 27 year old, nulliparous (childless) female presenting with similar issue. It started recently in my 4th month of running in NYC., two weeks after my period, so it rules out PMS. I was really averse to running most of my life until I did a boot camp training this summer and it was my jump start to fitness. Therefore I am starting to learn first hand about all the problems on can get from sore ankles and knees, to side stitches, exercise induced rhinitis (accompanying the change in season), runner's diarrhea, and what can best be described as uterine contractions. I mean, as a nursing and public health student, doula and lamaze teacher, and somebody who has had insanely bad period cramps since age 12, I can tell the difference between bowel trouble and uterine contractions. So I have just started a lot of long distance runs 7-8 miles and after my last 2 runs I have this sensation that feels like i'm going into labor so I start to do some of these breathing and positioning techniques I show my clients to get through these waves. squatting, meditating and deep breathing helps me, it opens up that pelvic girdle giving my uterus room to expand and the air lessens pain caused by an ischemic uterus. Dr. Grantly ****-read in his book birth without fear tells how fear of what's happening leads to more tension as we consciously or unconsciously tense ourselves up in anticipation of the wave causing more pain. Lesson being to breathe it out and let the uterus spazz out. I also like sitting over the toilet, because this naturally relaxes our stomach muscles, and takes less effort than squatting, and when women think they need to have a bowel movement and go to the toilet, its usually a sign that the baby is about to be delivered. Thus, these sensations are quite similar. I usually continue to have these cramps long after the run though, like with the entire day after but in manageable gaps. My diet is  near perfect, I do the diet analysis on usda.gov, I was born and raised vegetarian, and I eat kale, tofu, dairy, fruits and veggies in my regeime at least once a day. I stay pretty hydrated, and I don't like to deny myself foods too long before a run, but that has never been an issue until now. I am pretty good at breathing and warm ups too because I do yoga and breathing and stretching with yoga is a good tool for running. I haven't tried pain medications, as somebody mentioned its treating the symptom not the underlying issue. Also a confounding issue may be my placement of my non hormonal paraguard IUD, I am going to my women's health NP to tell her my issue, run some tests to rule out infections or ovarian issues, as well as check placement to see if it hasn't perforated my uterus, which I doubt but is a risk. I wish somebody would do a research study on this.
I think the upside to this is this experience and PMS is excellent childbirth preparation! As far as trying to concieve and doing strenuous running or anything that induces uterine contractions. There are many natural methods... steam room, sauna, hot bath, basil, garlic, juniper, pineaple, nipple/clitoral stimulation, sex (or anything that releases oxytocin the love hormone and uterus contracter), walking helps jumpstart labor especially uphill or stairs!, and pressure point stimulation. Its probably a good idea to stop these things if contractions start.
I have been seeing an Accupuncture/herbalist for this exact issue and I except for a slight feeling of pressure last week during a work out, I think I'm cured!  I sent her this link and said, "Isn't is strange that so many women have this same issue" and she said its not strange at all. That the "chinese medicine bible" from 1000 years ago talks about intestinal "attachment" to the uterus causing these symptoms. Its also a cause of infertility (another issue I've been having).  I've been reading how overuse of birth control pills or antibiotics causes intestinal inflamation, which can case scar tissue and subsequent adhesion of the organs. The intestine, uterus, are all packed in there, so if they are attached- running would essentially pull at it.  I've taken probiotics, and a mix of herbs and done cupping on my abdomen and it looks like all have helped.  
Before I went to the accupuncturist, my ob/gyn ran tests, said everything was normal, and ignored me- and immediately wanted to start me on infertility treatments. I know that things aren't "normal" when I'm laying in a fetal position anytime I bump my walks up to a run because it feels like I'm giving birth.  I would recommend the probiotics- when she gave me that I immediately didnt have the cramps.
That's my two cents. Good luck!!
hi there,
I have had this same problem for the last 10 or more years. I am 26 and in the British Army. I am very athletic and very much into my running. The pain starts to appear about 10-14 days before my period and also sometimes through my cycle. Like everyone else who has posted it is like terrible contractions that starts of dull and if i continue to run the pain gets more intense anc comes in waves i have to stop immediately and lay on the ground until the pain subsides. It too makes me feel nausea (although iv never actually been sick).
I have been to the doctors on numerous occassions and being in the military they dont have much time to spend on you and i have been fobbed off with coppermint tablets which are normally prescribed to patients with IBS. They also told me its probably to do with my diet. ( i eat healthy, dont smoke and drink very little alcohol)
I have tried everything from making sure i am hydrated, sports drinks, vitamins, started running slower at start of my runs and gradual building up, but nothing seems to work.
Like another person mentioned its terrible when i have a race and i have to count the days on the calender and then have to say no because i know that if its in the two week period where without fail at some point in that run i will be on the ground in a pile.
Also being in the Army as a personal training instructor where i have to take out guys and girls on squadded runs i am petrified that if it falls between those weeks (like it has on several occassions) i have to stop and make up an excuse as to why and another instructor has to take over whilst i sit there in agony on the floor.
I just really want a cure. I am hoping to transfer to the PT Corp, but if this keeps on happening i think it will ruin my chances as it is very physically demanding.
Please if anyone has any thoughts, I am all ears
Hey again,
I used to have the same problem as many of you, the excruciating pain in the uterus after about 10 minutes of intense workout.
I have been on the contraceptive pill for the last 6 months and I havent felt any pain whilst running yet :)
Just thought this info might help some people on this page..
Good luck :)
I am 32 years old, and about 2 years after my second child I started experiencing nausea, cramping, bloating and constipation.  When my son turned 2 I had enough time to go back to a regular exercise routine.  I saw many doctors about my symptoms, and I was tested for many different things.  This past September I have felt unmotivated and have fallen off my exercise schedule.  I have felt great, and have not had any symptoms.  Until a week ago I ran for the first time since September.  I started getting sharp stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen, until it was so bad I had to stop running.  That night was the first time I felt my symptoms return since September.  The following day I danced for 45 minutes.  Since then I have had pain in my lower left abdomen, I went through a period of nausea, and have felt like my intestines are doing strange things.  Also if I sit down I have to lean back a little as I sit or it sends a sharp pain up my lower left abdomen.  I am happy that I think I have narrowed the reason for my symptoms down to exercise, however I need to get back into my routine, and would like to do so without all the side-effects.  I have read a lot above about people experiencing the pain while running, but anyone that has the pain persisting for days afterward, or experiencing the same other symptoms????
Wow. Never thought I would hear stories and symptoms to the exact of what I've experienced. I am a healthy 20 year old female and this began during my Junior Varsity season of basketball-14/15 years old. The pain is exactly as you said it!! Tightening of the lower stomach, it feels like contractions, I am in SO much pain, I've cried, or found a cold surface on the floor and curled in fetal position.
Recently it has been happening during cycling, running, or weight training. People have thought I was insane. I started at 15 taking asthma medication for it, then I was told it was anxiety/stress related, I got a heart stress test taken, and then just dealt with it.
About 10/15 minutes into exercise as my body heats up, heart accelerates, and I am pushing myself, the pain comes---and STRONG.
Lately, I've tried talking myself out of it. It allows me to continue the exercise, but I have to breath in and out and count back from 10 slowly. This may help.
A doctor friend of my dad's said that it could be lack of blood flow to the abdomen. Which would explain why after we warm up, and the blood is pumping there, the cramps go away---and DONT come back.
Thanks for the posts since it's made me feel not alone :).
Best of luck to you exercisers
I am another to join the list.

29 yr old Female, scared to go to the gym.

Symptoms after 10 mins running
:nausea
:severe pain for 10 to 20 mins
:will sometimes induce "spotting"
:the feeling of needing to go to the toilet to do a number 2.

I have tried a few things, I eat OK, and have an average body type, one doctor prescribed pon stan for periods (anti inflamitory) didn't make a difference. It occurs all times during my cycle.

I had an ultrasound which didn't detect anything.

I found that it only occurs if the exercise involves legs. I did boxing with no legs to increase my fitness some time ago and Never had a problem.  As soon as I added kicks I would get the same intense lower abdominal pain.

I invite people to email me to discuss if they have actually found things that have helped them. geeky_ninja***@****.

I think we need solutions which have worked.

So far I have read that the pill might help and longer warm up and stretching of the area.... Anything else?
Im 16, Female: I experience this everytime I run! I always let my food before I do run. Speaking of: I just got on the treadmill and felt that sharp pain in the left part of my abdominal area. It hurts bad, the only way I get rid of it is to stretch your body by leaning side to side with your arms above your head.
My goodness, I started experiencing these severe lower abdominal pains about 4 years ago. I'm 34 now and its only in the last 6 years that I started excercising. The pains have really held me back from improving my running and other cardio workouts. I asked a doctors, my physiotherapist and personal trainers about this and no-one had a clue as to why it would happen. I'm relieved to find that I'm not alone I was beginning to think I might have some serious internal problems. What I am concerned about is there not being a clear diagnosis of the problem, the causes and its treatment. Until today, I thought that if I'm properly hydrated the problem doesn't occur. However, after a light jog to the gym for my personal training session, I felt the pain coming and had to cancel my training session. After my third attempt at searching for this problem I found this site.

I'm still going to get my abdomen checked out at the doctors but at least I know if they don't find anything I know I'm not alone.
Like everyone else who has posted about experiencing this lower abdominal pain mid-cylce while running, I am glad to hear that I am alone. But, I am also pretty surprised and frustrated that no researchers or clinicians seem to be looking into the issue. I feel like there has to be an answer, and like the answer is not one of those generic explanations that we all so commonly hear - i.e. gas, excess GI motility, muscle pain, lack of vitamins, etc. For those of us who have experienced this, I trust that you would all agree that it feels like menstrual pain and none of the alternative types of pain. It feels like the frickin' uterus is tightening into a knot.

Just as many of you said, I am an avid runner, in my late 20s, run about 5 days a week, 6-7 miles most days. About 15 days into my cycle it seems, I get these lower abdominal cramps that come in waves and worsen before they get better. I usually have to stop and walk for 5-10 minutes to get the pain to subside. Then I can start running again without the pain - so wierd!! I notice that I tend to sweat more on the days that this happens, another curious thing that makes me think that hormones are involved. In any event, the pain feels like what I would imagine contractions to feel like, sometimes come with light-headedness, and nausea like many of you have mentioned - makes me want to double over in pain, though I haven't as of yet. It is SO NOT fun though and really frustrating that so many of us apparently are having this problem, but there remains no good explanation.... would love any info from clinicians/researchers that may be interested further!!!
I have these problems as well. When i go running, the pain doesn't start til AFTER I stop (I do stop gradually). But I lie on the floor in a fog of pain for about 20 minutes, then the problem goes away... I went to the gynocologist and he wants to test me for endomitriosis, which, now that i have heart of it, I have found that many many women have... The only way to diagnose endomitriosis for sure is to have an endoscopy, so we'll see how that turns out, but you may want to check into endomitriosis. Has anyone else thought about endomitriosis or been tested for it?
So thankful to find so many of you discussing this problem. I have watched my 12 year old daughter suffer through this several times over the last few months. We have been running less than a year. We are 5k runners trying to build our distance to 10k but this situation seems to prevent us from moving forward.

This only seems to be an issue for her the week before her period. It seems so unfair to watch such a young lady suffer so greatly.

I called my OB/GYN yesterday and was told it was a common problem in runners due to ligaments. My mother's intuition told me that this much pain could not be caused by a ligament problem.

Hoping to find so answers before she is fearful of running and wants to totally give up!

HELP!
Good to know I'm not alone.  I am 44 and have been a walker forever but have started and stopped running now and again.  I remember having the cramping in high school when I pushed myself to do a run for PE.  I have since had kids and it still happens.  I think it is more likely to happen mid-cycle and when pushing myself.  
Reading through all 90 comments, I see two common denomenators.  1) There's a uterus involved and most often the cycle matters  and 2) It happens most when over-exerting...perhaps having lower oxygen than the body would like?
What I found interesting is the comment that climbing hills or stairs is thought to bring on labor.  This tells me that there is definitely a connection between the hormones and the exertion.
I certainly don't have the answer but it appears that all the suggestions about hydration and diet aren't really going to help...although there is a connection between diet and hormones.
It seems the answer is to keep in mind that this isn't lethal..though it feels that way and to know what works for your body to prevent the pain.
It's frustrating that someone in the medical field isn't curious enough to figure out the cause.  But then again western allopathic medicine is all about preventing death, not promoting health.
It's me again.  I also read every post on peertrainer where the women decided to post all kinds of symptoms in the hopes of finding some common thread.  Here are the common threads:
Low Blood Pressure/Low Thyroid
Other pelvic issues caused by hormones like cysts and endometriosis
Low iron (lots of vegetarians)
More than normal exertion
Majority have trouble after ovulation

Other interesting factoids:  Blood goes to the working muscles and leaves the organs.  Prosteglandins (responsible for labor) are released during exercise.  Advil lowers prosteglandins.

Putting these all together, I have a theory.  What if women who have abnormally low blood pressure OR low iron, have trouble in the beginning of their exercise or during exertion getting oxygen back to the organs fast enough to make them happy.  And the uterus, concerned that there might be a fertilized egg, sends out distress signals that mobilizes the prosteglandin which in turn contracts the uterine muscles so that blood will flow back to it and oxygenate the area so the possible fetus is safe.  Once you slow down and allow the blood to get to the uterus, it is happy again and allows you to go on with your exercise.
This would explain why some women do better on the pill because it prevents ovulation so the uterus isn't so concerned about protecting a fetus.  It also explains why some women do well on Advil because it blocks the prosteglandin.  It also explains why warm up and easing into exercise works for some.  You aren't overtaxing the working muscles suddenly so blood can stay with the organs.
Maybe women who are already in hormonal distress AND have low blood pressure just seem to be more suseptable.
It's a hunch and I think I might be on to something.
I am 34 and have been an athlete all my life and through college.  I have been diagnosed with PCOS, Endometriosis (treated with surgery 3 months ago) and this is the description of my pain:
-comes after doing about 6-7 cycles of 1' spints and 1' recovery cycles
-comes so low in abdomen it appears to be in the uterus and top of my legs but mostly uterus
-mid-cycle (during ovulation)
-so bad that I have to stop and can't do the rest of my work out until giving it about 10' and sometimes not after that
-very hydrated
-don't eat before

Really wouldl ike to have a clinician, OBGYN and/or other specialist be able to really diagnose this issue as it appears to be very common with those on this site and I think we would know (at least most) how to determine PMS from these symptoms am I right?

Thank you and looking forward to a useful medical comment

-frustrated-
Yep, yet another of the same... I am a 37 year old female runner, and very fit.  The first time this happened to me was after a half marathon 2 years ago.  Intense cramping in the abdomen, and difficult for me to determine if it is uterine or intestinal cramping.  This is accompanied by the feeling of needing to have a bowel movement, and sometimes by diarrhea.  Even after all elimination, the feeling of needing to use the toilet persists.  I am able to run through the pain, but upon finishing the run, am doubled over on the toilet with cramps.  The pain lasts anywhere from an hour to 4 hours.  I had never made a connection between my menstrual cycle and this pain, but as it is occurring today it is exactly halfway through my cycle.  I'm trying a magnesium drink right now to see if it will help.  Thanks to everyone for your comments on this thread.  It is very helpful to know that I am not alone, and that this is happening to many many others.
Hi Everyone,

I was worried that these cramps when running would mean i would have to be on bedrest when i became pregnant. I am 15 weeks currently and have not had one pregnancy pains or anything- baby and i are healthy and happy and i have been working out (lighter than prior to pregnancy of course) with no problems at all. Just wanted to let anyone who was worried about this like i was.

Alli <3
I'm 38 years old and starting having this problem about 5 or so years ago. I have since had a polyp removed from my uterus while going through fertility. I thought after it was removed that the pain would stop...but it didn't. I would get such intense pain after a hard cardio class, spinning or running/ powerwalking outside. Today was the worst it's ever been. I nearly passed out walking home, the pain was blinding and felt like my period cramps times 100 and I just finished my period a few days ago. Now saying that it's happened weeks after finishing my period so I don't think it has anything to do with PMS at all. As I said, today was the worst, as soon as I opened the front door I went straight to the bathroom, had diarrhea the minute I sad down...followed by vomiting in the trash can( as that's all I had around me at the time, gross). I got on here hoping to find an answer( I will try the Advil for now) but in turn found out I wasn't the only one suffering through this and that helped a little. I explained to my husband about this forum and let him know I wasn't the only one and it had nothing to do with being out of shape. I'm 5'10 and have worked out since I was 16, I eat healthy, don't smoke or drink...There needs to be a solution to this besides us having to quit our cardio workouts which is what I have had to do.
I'm going through the exact same thing. I've been trying to get pregnant without success and they found a polyp on my uterus . I am getting it removed next week but the doc told me that it is not causing my exercise pain. I guess he is right considering if didn't fix yours either. It's so frustrating .
so glad i found this thread and realized i was not alone!

i'm 24 years old and have been having similar problems as everybody's stated above since high school.... the lower abdominal pains almost always happen a week or so before my period AND 99% of the time when i'm running outside.  i rarely had any kind of cramps or discomfort while running on treadmill or doing other intense aerobic exercises or weight training indoor.  for me the painful episodes usually are accompanied by diarrhea (which can be EXTREMELY inconvenient and embarrassing out on the road....) and like everybody else, they go away completely after 10 or 15 minutes

after realizing there's really no "cure" for this mysterious pain, i've limited myself to indoor exercises only a week or so before my period, and little or no exercise at all the day before, and it'd worked quite well for the past few years (yes after much painful trial-and-errors....)
not the worst solution possible but still rather inconvenient for pursuing an active lifestyle =S

i do remember reading somewhere that pre-menstrual or menstrual hormonal changes do affect the uterus and it's somehow linked to bowel movements? really not sure about it but anyways, hope one day we'll be able to find the cause and do something about it!
p.s. acupuncture and herbal remedies sound like a great idea!!
my step mother studied Chinese medicine and she'd told me once about how the uterus and lower GI organs are closely "attached", and might cause problems particularly during that time of the month when everything's kinda thrown off balance....

might resort to acupuncture when i get the chance =D
I've scrolled through all the posts going back to '07, and I don't see any that can be filed under "geezer," which is what I am.  I am 54 and have been running for 25 years.  Slow and steady, I am not a sprinter. Only recently have I begun to have horrific low abdominal cramps (happened yesterday after I was about 2.5 miles into my run). I thought it had something to do with being menopausal, but I see that most of the posts are from very young women. Yesterday was positively frightening--felt like I would vomit from the pain. I'll try the calcium, magnesium, and drinking more water.  But am certainly relieved to read all these posts and see that I am not the only one!
I have the EXACT same problem! It is relieving to hear there are others because normally I get the feeling people think I'm being over-dramatic. The pain does not happen all the time and it does not always happen during extreme work outs. I'm 21 years old and 5' 10" and work out pretty regularly and eat pretty well if I do say so myself. This pain mostly happens when I spin or run. It is odd because I had a very large ovarian when I was about 14 and experienced extreme pain with it; this lower abdominal pain can sometimes be relatively similar. Earlier today I only ran a mile and on the walk back to my apartment the pain came on. It feels like my uterus is going to drop out, or like I need to vomit, and sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by the pain I feel like I'm about to pass out. I'm not sure what is the cause of it all but it seems like many experience this and there should be a way to prevent this. Also I find it amazing how the pain can be so overwhelming for so long and then in a snap it will completely subside... the oddest thing
(I have watched to see if it happens in any relation to my period and i've noticed it had absolutely correspondence with it)
Your comment, and many others are describing my 15 year old daughter's same symptoms.  She has had these for 2 years.  She is a very active, year round volleyball player.  She doesnt get them so much from playing VB but when she is training by RUNNING.  At the end of her mile which she is one of the fastest she is doulbled over on the ground and sometimes throwing up.  I've asked 2 doctors and they have NO CLUE.  IF ANYONE HAS FOUND OUT MORE ABOUT THIS PLEASE POST.  We, like many of you, are worried.  She avoids running but if she has a hard workout in VB she is starting to hurt.  Someone must know something.
My 13yr old daughter is a champion 800m athlete who now collapses after every race with piercing abdominal pain. The stabbing pain takes her breath away and feels like labour contractions. It lasts for 15 mins then disappears. It's only when she is working at het maximum that this pain begins. Please can someone help?
I have this exact same pain, I am relieved to hear I am not the only one. Other people have described it well already- It is a severe, lower abdomen pain that only occurs after running and feels like the most intense cramps I can imagine. I try to walk through it but sometimes they are so bad that I cant go on. I havent noticed any connection with it and my eating habits, and I am in pretty good shape otherwise. If anyone has any information and any ideas on how to stop it I would be so relieved.
its probably endometriosis... i've been experiencing pelvic pain while running for a few years-I'm in the military so I have to work out every day- it doesnt happen all the time-- but when it does its SEVERE and very low abdomen-- feels like someone is twisting and stabbing my insides- It goes away after like 15 minutes of stopping running-- went to the doctors and found out its endometriosis...
I am a runner in high school, and I will be running in college next year. I get these terrible pains in my lower abdominals. It feels like knives twisting and cutting my insides, and it leaves me on the ground laying in the fetal position everytime, wondering why do I run when I feel like I am going to die. I started getting them after hard, speed workouts, like stop and go again runs. The pain is caused by the contraction of your uterus, which explains the feeling of birthing. Somehow, the work you're making your body do, like the constant jumbling around when running or stopping after a hard run, is causing it to irritate and cramp. Take midol before you run or do anything that is stressing your body into cramping. The pain will be very dull, or gone. (:
I don't believe that it is just related to age. I am 17 years old but my first intense of this happening to me was when I was 16. I've been running for 5 or 6 years now, and the first time I had this pain was after running an 800m last spring, and I had the same pain after running an 800m a month later that same year. I figured out that the pain came mid-cycle, and I told my doctor about this and he confirmed what I believed it to be, which is middleschmertz (sorry, I'm not sure about the spelling). The pain after these races was UNBEARABLE. The first time it happened, I thought something horrible was going to happen to me, and my body's way of reacting to the pain both times was to vomit.
I've had other instances of this pain that were much milder throughout the year, but this year I once again had the same pain after a race. The past month or two, I've had horrible period cramps (previously I had always gotten very mild cramps) and I have had some degree of pain after running for the last few weeks or month. Even after running a leisurely pace for 40 minutes, I got cramps that were higher up on the pain scale.
It's good to know I am not alone!
I experience all the same symptoms.  Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I just had laparoscopic surgery and did find out I have endometriosis.  Could they be connected?
Thank you for sharing all of this feedback. I too suffered from this for the first time recently. I felt more moderate pain earlier in the week during a soccer game, but today I was running race speed for a 5K I am doing with friends this weekend and had to stop and walk for a period of time, even crouch down into a squatting position with my head between my knees trying to subdue the pain. It was shooting in my lower abdomen. I completed my run 5 and a half hours ago though, and I'm still feeling shooting pains, has anyone else felt these pains for such a long time after the workout was done?

I am 23 and have had ALOT of issues with ovarian cysts over the past year, so I was thinking that it would just be related to that. I am going to try all of the advice, and call my OB in the morning, but with so many people saying that they have seen doctors and they haven't been able to find something, I am not too optimistic. But I wanted to thank everyone for all of the feedback on this site! it has been extremely helpful!
This has happened to me since high school and it's kept me from exercising.

Here's something I found while I was looking into this...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/391880-i-have-menstrual-cramps-during-exercise/
I hear what you say about it only appearing to be younger women with this issue.  I am 42 and also have the same thing, usually mid cycle about 20 minutes into a half hour run.  Pain comes in waves like what contractions probably feel like, feel like I need a crap, sometimes nauseous. All over in about 15-20 minutes then I can carry on (time permitting!)  I have found that walking while taking big gulps of water does help but it is frustrating to have to cut an otherwise good workout short :-)
I am a 28 year old female, 5'9, 145 pounds and am in relatively good shape and eat fairly well.  I've been having the same problems for over a year when I slow down after a two mile run.  This is the same type of distance I've been running my whole life and this is the only type of exercise that causes the excruciating pain. The treadmill and aerobics classes generally don't affect me. Like most of you, it lasts about ten minutes and sometimes I will either vomit or have a bowel movement.  I've had ultrasounds but have found no cause for the problem.
In addition to my other comment, I thought it made sense to mention that I do have lower blood pressure and also have a low blood platelet count (it has been in the 90,000s to low 100,000s).  Over the time I've had the low ab pain, my periods have been a little unusual where I've had spotting before or after my actual period.  I am going to try taking Advil or Midol before running to see if that helps.
I also suffer from this pain, to a point where I can barely stand. It occurs when I'm running and I am a mile or two out. The pain starts in my back, then my lower abdomen, and I get the feeling of severe constipation as well. I usually walk it out, and I am able to resume after 5 minutes.

In addition, I have been suffering from severe menstrual cycles the last 5 months. And I suffer from chronic back pain (which I blame on a sports injury from last year).

I used to suffer from an eating disorder, but running helped me balance nutrition and exercise. I'm often paranoid that may be the reason for this problem I am having now.

I told my doctor about my symptoms, and I have yet to see the OBGYN she recommended for me, but she thinks it might be Endometriosis or an Ovarian Cyst.

I hope it is neither, but anyone that has more input, let me know.
I can relate to all of you with this situation. I have felt very alone on this situation after researching online for a few years and asking doctors yet still stumped unable to find answers. I am 22 years old, I have been very athletic my entire life. I started my period in 6th grade the same year I had my appendix removed. I noticed the pain when I went back to running in gym class in 6th grade or doing vigerous exercises. I was doubled over in pain unable to breath. Its usually during the peak of my exercise when these cramps occur. I thought since I had my appendix removed the same year the cramping during exercise started that it was related to that. After reading posts from others I realize I started my period the same year these cramps started and these cramps happen random times throughout my cycle I have an irregular cycle but have noticed that the cramps during exercise do happen at random times. I have been confused as to why they will not happen one week then the next week I do the exact same workout and cant even get through half of it without feeling like I am giving birth to my insides. I have been diagnosed with IBS, and have had ovarian cysts come and go for years which I thought may be related to the cramping as well as scar tissue from my surgery. When I push myself too hard is when these cramps occur, I have noticed the cramping occurs mostly while running, I have had them during all strenuous exercise running, zumba etc. They take about 15-20 min to go away. I have tried everything motrin before my exercise, stretching etc. nothing seems to help me completely avoid these cramps. What I think helps the situation the most is a good warm up/stretch. Also keeping every cardio workout to the point where I could carry a conversation without being out of breath. Going slow is key I know it sounds lame but it helps alot. The second you feel the SLIGHTEST bit of discomfort in that area during exercise you must STOP immediately and slowly walk it out. I am the type of person that wants to suck up the pain and push through it because I feel like a wose slacking off, but its more embarassing when I am rolling around on the ground doubled over unable to breath not knowing weather to go to the bathroom or throw up or go to the hospital, than slowing down my workout. Make sure you guys warm up and ease yourself into your exercise keep it stable. High intensity is what usually causes these situations. I am unsure why but the only thing we can do is avoid the pain since we are not able to pin point the problem or fix it. I do believe that the contracting of the muscles are irritating the uterus or something. Maybe the uterus/ovaries swell certain points during your cycle and inflamed muscles put pressure on it causing it to contract. All I know is MEN HAVE IT WAY TOO EASY!!!!!!
Like many of you have already said, I'm relieved to see I'm not alone in this condition. Then again, it makes me furious that so many women suffer and no doctor has the slightest idea what is wrong. They say it must be PMS or PMDD, or else it's just all in our heads! Then they prescribe the quick fix, birth control, with all its harmful side effects, without ever making a conclusive diagnosis. Umm, hello? Doctors, are you even listening?

I've suffered with this for 6 years, since the start of my period. I'm 18 years old, 102 lbs, with low blood pressure and low iron. I agree with subie's post, that these may be factors for the cramping. However, they are not the root cause.

I've been doing some serious research for the past few years. This is what I've found.

THE ROOT CAUSE IS ESTROGEN DOMINANCE CAUSED BY SENSITIVITY TO CHRMICALS IN THE ENVIRONMENT KNOWN AS XENOESTROGENS.

XENOESTROGENS are found in plastics, detergents, styrofoam, cosmetics, lotions, shampoos, etc etc etc, even in some foods like soy and flax. Basically, they're everywhere.

The advent of XENOESTROGENS pollution in the environment has led to a tenfold increase in cases of endometriosis, ovarian and uterine cysts, early sexual development, feminization of males, and scores of other diseases of the reproductive organs, including breast cancer.

PRIOR TO 1920, THERE WERE ONLY 20 DOCUMENTED CASES OF ENDOMETRIOSIS IN THE WORLD. NOW, IN THE USA, 1 IN 20 WOMEN HAVE ENDOMETRIOSIS.  

You may or may not have endometriosis. Whatever the case, if you are experiencing severe uterine cramps while running, you need to reduce your exposure to xenoestrogens as soon as possible. This is extremely difficult, as they are very widespread. Switch your laundary detergent to trisodium phosphate or NatureClean powdered detergent. Use basic mineral makeup. Change your shampoo and conditioner to Alaffia Everyday Unscented or Urtekram No Perfume Products. Avoid heating plastic or styrofoam with food or drink.

It is impossible to completely avoid xenoestrogens. Do the best you can.

The next step is my favorite, the miracle cure.

NATURAL PROGESTERONE, WHEN COMBINED WITH THE REDUCTION OF XENOESTROGEN EXPOSURE, ELIMINATES FEMALE HORMONAL IMBALANCE WITHIN 3 MONTHS OF USE.

I've only just started using natural progesterone, and have already seen a decrease in symptoms. The brand I recommend is PROGESTELLE. This is a natural progesterone in the form of oil, not cream. Creams can contain some of the very xenoestrogens that progesterone works to combat. Also, PROGESTELLE uses true Progesterone, not wild yam extract. DO NOT CONFUSE NATURAL PROGESTERONE FOR WILD YAM EXTRACT. Wild yam contains diosgenin, a precursor to progesterone. Your body cannot make the conversion, despite scammers' claims. Natural progesterone is made from wild yams, but must be converted into a form the body can use.
Estogen dominance also causes magnesium deficiency. This is why many women crave chocolate at the start of their period. Magnesium
Deficiency leads to muscle cramps, including those of the uterus. Take a magnesium supplement daily, in as high a dose that does not cause loose stools.

IODINE SUPPLEMENTATION REDUCES THE BODY'S SENSITIVITY TO ESTROGEN. Estrogen inhibits iodine absorption. Dr. Brownstein, an MD in Michigan, has measured that as much as 94% of Americans are Iodine deficient. This number may be even higher in the UK. Supplement with iodine daily. If you are allergic to iodine, take kelp. It is naturally high in iodine, as well as many other essential nutrients.
During pregnancy, a woman's body produces as much as 400 mg of progesterone daily. After birth, progesterone levels drop to zero, leading to post partum depression. Xenoestrogens in the environment lock into cell receptors and prevent progesterone from doing it's job. As progesterone is the hormone responsible for preventing uterine contractions during pregnancy, it's blockage results in all kinds of problems, especially those concerning feminine cramping. Exercise releases prostaglandins, hormones that induce labor contractions. Normally, a female's progesterone levels, which range from 20-40 mg per day, are able to prevent uterine contractions. But when progesterone is blocked by xenoestrogen, the contractions are free to proceed.
For severe hormonal imbalance, there are many natural treatment options available. The only options offered by allopathic (western) medicine are surgery, birth control, or prescription pain relievers. None of these treat the actual root of the problem, estrogen dominance. In contrast, many non traditional treatments have all proven highly effective in the treatment of hormonal issues. Acupuncture is useful in relieving pain and rebalancing the hormones. From traditional Chinese medicine, the most useful herb I have found is **** Quai. This root herb reduces estradiol levels, and is referred to as the "feminine cure-all" for hormonal problems.
That's *D-o-n-g Quai.
For years I struggled with the pain, and as both a track and cross country runner, I found myself debilitated by these cramps. I was never able to reach my full running potential in high school. I knew something was wrong, but no doctor I went to was able to help. Even worse, my friends, family, even my boyfriend, seemed to think I was just being a wuss. No one understood what I was going through. I felt singled out, wounded, and the entire thing became a curse, poisoning me physically as well as emotionally. It is so reassuring to know I'm not alone, even though it hurts me to see so many of you have struggled with this same condition. I truly hope the information I've provided helps. I'm no medical doctor, but seeing as how they don't seem to have an answer, I've resorted to other means. The combination of D o n g Quai, calcium-magnesium, iodine, natural progesterone, and avoidance of xenos has been an immense help for me. Not only are the cramps subsiding, but I feel amazing. My body is starting to heal itself, and I couldn't be happier. Best of luck to any of you out who are searching for a cure. I hope I was able to help.
Been jogging for the last two weeks or so and the excruciating pain I've been getting is on the right side at the level of lower ribs. I collapsed to the ground cause it hurt like hell. Had to breathe slow and shallow to lower the pain......weired
Xsi
I am 27, male, 5.10" athletic african and have been playing soccer (british football) for 18 years. Since the age of 20, I feel this halting pain on the right side at the level of lower ribs. It only happens when I play football and run. If I stay in goal or play as a defender, I do not feel this pain but if I stay on the wings or run after the ball so hard, I get this pain and I am unable to continue after about 5 minutes. I either go back in goal or rest for another 5 minutes. The pain is gone in 10 minutes and I can continue again for only 10 minutes before the pain returns. I was glad to find this thread so I'm not alone. Mind you, I do not feel tired at all, I feel like going on but every tap of the toe aggravates the pain. I feel better when i bend with arms akimbo for 5 minutes.
Please help
I have been having the same problems as all of you. I am an 18 year old girl and have been experiencing these pains since i was a freshman. I am in great shape and work out regularly but these pains make me want to give in. I just had my recent "episode" today and i was sprawled out in the grass for 45 minutes praying it would end. I want to go to the Naval Academy but this wont happen if it feels like im going into labor everytime i try to work out. These pains are AWFUL and I'm at a loss for what i should do. I drink plenty of water before, during, and after. I eat healthy for the most part. I also have tried taking advil, tylenol, or whatever before I run, but it hasnt helped. I need an answer. I leave for the Academy in less than a year and it isnt going to happen because my body is fighting me. This is frustrating and embarrassing. I am glad that there are more of me, i thought i was just being a baby till i read all of these posts.
My daughter has been getting these same pelvic cramps since she was 13. She plays soccer. The pain usually comes about 1/4 of the way through a game or after running 1/2 a mile. The pain is intense. It takes about 15 minutes for it to calm down but then she is light headed and sore for about an hour. We have had a doplar study to check blood flow, an ultrasound, and a CAT scan. All have come back normal. Her physical therapist told her it sounded like a weak muscle (pubis). He had her do a core exercise and she felt the pain immediately.
This has been ongoing for two years straight. She is only 15 :(
my daughter just started with this problem last week on friday she was in so much pain that she was crying for like an hour , and all started  when she started running in p.e, shes only 14 years old and she feels the pain only when she runs i dont know what to do .....= (
Hi I'm 15 years old and have that stabbing excruciating pain in my lower stomach making me want to keel over and cry. I've experienced the urge to want to use the bathroom but it doesn't help. I've been running for about 4 years now and this started happening in my 2nd year of running for track. I was the only one it happened to and hated telling my coach because I felt like a whimp.  It usually came about after sprints and the consistency of running and stopping quickly. Then once I started cross country it would happen if I ran hard up hills or on an uneven course. But the pain came less frequently. I received it again today when I was doing sprints up and down hills. I had to quit my exercise because I felt so much agony and felt like puking. I've asked my doctor about it once and she said the only thing she could think of was the muscles down there aren't receiving enough oxygen and to try and breathe deeply. I tried and breathing deeply makes it worse. I almost have to sit and hold my breath just to feel the slightest bit of relief. I'm going to go and ask my doctor again about it and see if she can explain it, and I plan on mentioning the  endometriosis. I want to continue my running potential and get better but I get so frustrated because of this. If anyone finds anything please post I will post what I can if I find out
Oh my GOSH. I am thrilled to have found this community.

I am a 31yo female who has had this problem since high school. No kids yet. It happened again this morning. I was out in public, running around my Seattle neighborhood. I felt the cramping coming on, and felt as though I should pull over and sit it out. I think I was a little too late. The cramps were horrible. I was nauseous, pale, sweating, and in about the worst pain of my life. The whole episode probably lasted about 15 minutes. At base it's probably about 8/10, but it comes in waves that last about 15 sec long and those are truly 10/10. I was so embarrassed, but I was literally rolling around on the ground, trying to mask my pain so that someone wouldn't come ask me if I needed an ambulance.

I am NOT crazy. I'm actually a physician myself - an ER doctor. I feel like I'm quite in tune with my body, and its sensations. I am truly convinced this is pain coming from the uterus. It is directly midline, but doesn't radiate to the back. I've had it at all different points in my cycle. When the women above described "like having a baby" and wanting to pass out, I knew we were talking about the same thing. I have to say, though, if having a baby is like this, then hats off to the women who go without epidurals!

So thrilled that I'm not crazy.

As to what I think it is... I've always wondered if this is some manifestation of endometriosis. During my episode today, I had to wonder if my running was causing episodic ovarian torsion, but I do feel myself ovulate every month and I know that ovarian discomfort (at least in me) is unilateral. I do have the sensation of having to empty my bowels, but I wonder if this is all just a vagal reaction to the pain - I'm sweaty, my pulse is low, I feel like I'm going to faint... diarrhea just goes with that. Again, I really think the uterus is the culprit.

I'm marathon training right now and really don't want to give that up, so I'm going to try taking some ibuprofen prior to running.
Hi Sarah. I have the pain you described and I agree the need to empty the bowel, feeling faint etc is likely a vagal reflex. I had an ultrasound today and my overies and uterus were fine. The only thing that doesn't show up on ultrasound is endo and I am confident that I have it. So I wonder is endo the cause ? Also endo often starts early in girls resulting in painful periods right from the start of menstration. This would explain why so many young girls on this forum are experiencing pain. I also cannot help but wonder if scar tissue is playing a role.  I was told I had significant scar tissue from having freezing and a leep procedure down when I was 16.  Who knows!
I'm very pleased to have found this post too.  I was planning on booking an appointment at my Well Woman Clinic but now i'm wondering if it's worth my time.

I am 35, I have been running 5 to 10K three times a week, for over three years, I consider myself to be very fit with good core strength.  I also do other exercise such as DVD workouts (when it's too cold out), hot yoga, and horse riding.  I have started to experience these pains regularly after running for about the past couple of months, but it's only after running.  It doesn't seem to matter what time of the month it is for me.  I once experienced the very bad "labor pains" one morning after getting out of bed too, now i'm concerned the running pain will continue to get worse and get to this point.  As with many of you it spreads to my lower back and makes me feel nauseous and as if I need to go to the bathroom.  It gets to a point where it's really hard to tell exactly where the pain is coming from because the whole lower abdomen hurts but I too feel it starts in the uterus.

It would be great to figure out what causes this as I was wondering if I had cysts. I love running and really don't want to give it up.