Exercise & Fitness Community
Sporadic Calf Muscle Soreness and Stiffness in both legs at once

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Viewing 201-242 comments:
Your frustration is understandable, more so considering all the medical terminology used.  Let's hope it is not Compartment Syndrome that is causing your problems.  If you feel that it is your problem, become very acquainted with the definition and how to treat it. Never elevate your legs higher than your heart; just makes matters worse.  And, do not exercise excessively at this point. That also compounds matters as you well know from the results you have had when running.  My problem was aggravated by muscle stress.  I was going to the gym five days a week and felt that at my age, I was doing exceptionally well.  Then my problems started, gradually at first, until my whole body musculature was affected. Even if I had wanted to do some exercising, I was not able because of the pain. Don't despair though. You may be able to beat this disease if you persevere and continue to be interactive with your health care. No one knows your body better than you do. For the present, avoid foods with gluten, sugar in any form; soy in any form also, dairy, processed foods, processed salt, and alcohol.  Caffeine, whether from coffee or soft drinks. Medications, avoid NSAIDS such as ibuprofen,Aleve, and prescription medications such as Celebrex. Also, antibiotics and steroidal meds such as Prednisone, Hydrocortisone and Corticosteroids. Concentrate  on eating cooked vegetables, fruits and beef, chicken and fish.  Drink enough water to stay well hydrated unless told differently by your doctor.  Please let me know if there are any new developments with your situation.  In good health,  Ben
I am having the same problems with my calf, shins and feet.  They feel tight and they hurt all the time.  My right foot cramps up so I can't uncurl my toes unless I stand up immediately.  My foot can go into a cramp from stretching in my sleep.  I was diagnosed with low Vitamin D levels, but haven't seen any improvement since I started one month ago.  I'm taking one Vitamin D per week consisting of 50,000 units.  I back surgery in 2009 and I'm wondering if it's a result of the back injury I got when a 200 pound male jumped off a ladder without looking and landed on me.  My disc was forced out the side and was impeding a nerve root.  I collapsed, and within a week I was crawling because the back and leg pain was so great.  The leg tightening and pain has been an issue this year only, but it won't go away.  I am making an appointment with my back surgeon to see if this can be an issue.  If anyone else has had the similar thing happen to them and has been able to find something that makes it go away, please write to me.

Kerri
***@****
If all tests show nothing then it a diet/nutritional thing. Could be dehydration. Athletes need more than a gallon a day of water (not juice, not soda, not Gatorade). Lack I potassium may also do this. Haven't you seen pro runners and athletes with bananas?

Start with the basics.
hi how are you?  my girlfriend daughter had pain in her calf's and her doctor said at 13 years old its growing pain. it got worst and worst. finally another doctor did a test for cancer and sure enough it was. not meant to scare anyone. all i am saying doctors should check for this as well.
Butcher's broom is a herb that has been used for years to help with leg pains that is associated with poor circulation.Scientists have discovered that sparteine, one of the main components in butcher's broom, inhibits the proteins in snake venom and thus is a potent treatment for detoxification of some snake bites. however it can raise your blood pressure.
i knew of an old woman who was walking with a cane, and i told her to try using butcher's broom or potassium. After threes of using it she no longer needed her cane. she was so happy, and never would've believe it if she didn't experience it herself. Do some research on this first. it may not be good for everyone.
hi just wanted to make a comment. my elderly friend took butcher's broom and after three weeks she no longer needed a cane for walking. butcher's broom is excellent if you have poor blood circulation. But it can raise your blood pressure. Google it and you will be surprise how it can work. My friend who was in her 60's at the time thanked me over and over. But I was just happy that there was something that worked for her. She had been using that cane she said for 20 years. Now i am not saying it could work for you. i am just saying it could work for many people, and maybe you.
plz some one help me , im 19 yr old male nd im experiencing leg pain from about 3 yrs,, i hv taken many test but there is no output of any disease ,, now i hv desire of running and playing like all other normal people plz plz give som advice or suggestions,, all my frndz are makin fun of my legs that im not able to run and play...
I've read a lot of the posts here but haven't seen any except for the 13 year old girl, where the calf pains started at an early age.  I can remember crying and my mom rubbing my calves when I was around seven.  These debilitating pains have continued all of my life, I'm now 54.  My daughter had the same type pains when she was six and she would hurt so bad she would just tremble and not be able to walk.  Now my grandson has had several occasions of crying with his legs, one morning could not walk.  We have all been to our doctors regarding this issue.  No one appears to understand or even care to find out what it could be.  I have to say our pains are not constant or in both legs at the same time usually.  Lately I have noticed mine seem to be associated with damp weather and the left leg appears to hurt more often than the right. We feel as though the pain is in the muscle, not the bone. But for my daughter and grandson, they just come and go at will.  

Anyone else with this type issue?
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/78484-sore-calves/
its prob celiac disease, cut out gluten from food, shampoo, nail polish, etc and symptoms will alleviate after 6 to 8 weeks. Be careful of cross contamination. Good luck!
I have definitely found a place to join right in....and to tell of the misery that lives in my legs, as well.
I have wondered if what I have could be Celiac disease. I have always had some problems with my intestional tract, but not too bad, until this past year or two. I had a bout with something BAD, last month. It made me have cold sweats, fainty feeling and so weak that when I finally emptied out...or so, I thought, I was yawning and sooo tired. I could hardly hold my head up or my eyes open. IT was horrible.
I had or have still Endometriosis. What I went through last month resembled that same dreadful heat that emits from ur body, when ur having a bm or just need to have a bm. Literally feels like steam comes out of my ears and if, I don't lay or the floor, I will pass out right there. It will happen if, I don't heed that feeling.
It feels good @ being able to talk to others that really understand how this pain is unrelentless and never gives up.
It feels good to just, let it out...YOWCH...these LEG pains(both) are driving me crazy and I don't understand what it is?? The Docs are working on me, to find the answer, but it has been 6yrs and I am tired....beyond tired, of it.
I have only got to read some of u guys posts...and am sorry, but my eyes just won't let me look at this computer screen too long either. I have the flux, on my comp. screen and must say, it helps take the brightness away. It brings out more of the warm colors, I guess. I already have the setting on my comp. screen set to the lowest level(brightness resolution). I donnot what is causing my eyes to do that, but my whole body, IT stays pretty much in misery. I hurt everywhere, but my LEGS are really BAD.
THere are so many of us suffering with something the Docs can't dx...and I pray that we have relief from this agony...soon.:s
Take care and God bless all of u.:))<3 Karen
Ps.I can relate @ knee pain, calf pain, foot pain *joints and the muscles are killing me. Of course, my whole body feels out of whack, including head, neck, back and my abdomen does stay distended some...all the time...: P
thanks terj, I will definitely try that too. it's such an odd pain to have! makes me feel really out of shape/weak but it's exciting to know that it might not be that and that there is a way to get rid of this!
For about 8 months, I had some of the same symptoms that you are having at present. Being a nurse, I started researching on the internet for a diagnosis since my doctor was unable to do anything for me. I had also gone to a chiropractor because of back pain but to no avail.  On the internet, I ran across an autoimmune illness called Leaky Gut Syndrome. Even my doctor was not familiar with it.  Further research provided me with a diet that avoided all sugar, gluten and all gluten containing grains; most starches like potatoes and rice, all dairy, and all oils made from grains such as canola, corn and others.  Started cooking with coconut oil and olive oil.  The problem of LGS starts slowly and can be aggravated by stress or trauma.  The lining of the small intestine becomes eroded to the point that undigested food leaks into the circulatory system and an auto-immune response is triggered by the body.  The symptoms vary from person to person but is manifested by muscle and joint pain, depression, malaise, inability to exercise because of the pain and various other symptoms, depending on the person.  You can get a lab test for LGS as explained on this site:  http://www.truehealthlabs.com/leaky-gut-test/  Ask your doctor for an order for the test and proceed from there. This is another site that will explain LGS:  http://www.leakygutcure.com/blog/leaky-gut-syndrome-treatment/   This diet you can do for yourself.  I know this whole cure sounds strange but it is worth a try.  It worked wonders for me.  Hope it helps you,   Ben
P.S. learn all you can about this syndrome from information on the internet, then you can see your doctor and be interactive with your healthcare.
I am now suffering from the same thing in my legs.  My father has had it too along with sporatic debilitating cramps in his back as well.  He has gone through so many doc's that don't take him seriously or offer suggestions and treatments that haven't helped.  Finally he went to a doctor that DID take him seriously and diagnosed him with distonia.  They use the same drugs to treat it as they did with my grandfathers parkinson's disease.  He is pain free now and hasn't suffered a cramp since.  I don't know if this will help or not, or if this is what you're going though, but hopefully it will help.
I am suffering so badly with sore tight calf muscles.  I can hardly walk.  I'm a very active 72-year old gal and all of this seemed to start after I took Cipro for a kidney infection.  My ankles are swollen and my Achilles tendon feels like it's ruptured.....it's not!  I'm under the care of an orthopedic guy who sent me to have a "vein study" MRI to rule out blood clots....it wasn't!  One day I can go about my normal routine and the next day I wished I had a wheel chair!  I know exactly how you feel!  I live alone and I sure hope that I'm not going to have to be put off my feet. This is the worse pain I have ever had.  Thanks for your info and best of luck!
Bartonella.  My daughter has had extreme calf pain (and knee, foot and achilles tendon pain) for the past 10 months and every doctor has told us that its 'just shin splints.'  Right.  We even went to Johns Hopkins where they did MRIs of her brain (for MS) and spine and an MRA of the arteries in her legs.  Finally, through multiple doctors and tests, we think we have the answer.  She is infected with bartonella, also known as 'cat scratch fever.'  You can easily become infected from a pet (cat or dog) or through a flea bite (even a sand flea).  You can be infected with both Lyme disease and bartonella (and other bacteria infections) from a tick.  A main symptom is shin pain. Unfortunately, since the medical profession is not very knowledgeable about this infection, don't expect your physician to diagnose it or to test for it.  Johns Hopkins was clueless.  A good starting point for information is the yahoo bartonella group.  They can refer you to physicians with the correct expertise.  It is a difficult infection to diagnose and a difficult (and expensive) disease to treat.  But, we do finally see light at the end of the tunnel!  
Don't just treat the symptoms with magnesium, vitamin D, diet changes, and other supplements. Try googling 'bartonella' and also 'lyme disease' for more information.
I wish I had know about this 10 months ago....
I am so glad that i  "stumbled" on this forum. I am in the UK so meds are not a cost. I just got back from my doctors (for the 4th time) Felling pretty sorry for myself as the doctor's only advice was over the couter anti inflammatories and lose weight. Difficult to exercise when you can hardly walk
If you are not getting enough water in a day you will have stiffness and twitching
I have the same Calf symptoms and I just did a scan of all comments on this site and it seems that a constant repeated cure for Calf soreness is Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc . I believe that the real cure in that group is Calcium since I take anti acid pill (Omepazole) daily that eat calcium. So I will start taking Calcium and let you know.
I developed pain in both calves after surgery for a torn meniscus on my right knee.  The surgery was successfully, but eventually the pain in the upper calves began and (5 months after surgery) its gotten worse.
It feels like a cramp and its worse after sitting:  I have pain and stiffness when I get up and walk with a noticeable limp; I can't run and I've noticed a strange pain when I try to lift my leg up and pull it back - the same movement when running, as the heel comes up toward the butt.
I walk up and down stairs with difficulty and can’t run up or down stairs.
Having my legs in a raised position seems to make it worse.
Although walking brings some improvement, I experience a lot of pain after resting following a walk.  
Sometimes I feel relief after wearing knee length compression socks and applying ice.  Massage is painful, but helps to ease the pain.  Stretching  does not seem to help.
I don't even know what type of Dr to see for this - any suggestions?
Here's an update on my daughter's leg pain.  After 10 months of severe calf, shin and achilles heel pain, the pain is almost gone.  Two months of extensive antibiotic and supplement treatment for a bartonella infection has turned it around.  She still has months of treatment left but this is the first treatment to work.  Yes, a bacteria infection can cause severe leg pain!

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=16570

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/698389

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/01/13/recognising-bartonellosis-or-cat-scratch-disease-in-pets.aspx

can  you   please  tell  me  whatvitamins it had in it  as  i  have  this  problem  for  few weeks  now    thanks  so  much  my email  is  ***@****  number  is  7184869439 my  name is  jo  thanks
Try eating plenty of water melon. i had sever cramps in both calf muscles when i was 26. We went for picnic near a water stream and running  bare feet in the shallow stream and at times on the hot rocks. I suffered constant calf muscle pain for two yrs. I went to all kinds of doctors and quacks but no help. then i had water melon once and the pain reduced. the pain was back after couple of days. Again I had WM and the pain reduced and so i discovered that it helped. then for two months i had lots of water melon till the season lasted and the relief was dramatic. Next season I again gouged my self with water melon and the pain left me forever. Now i am 48 and the pain is back since six month but i am in different country where there are no water melons.
I have been reading your posts with intense interest and wanted to chime in.  I too have had muscle cramps and charlie horses, sore legs, muscle weakness and all of what most of you have mentioned.  It is also quite true that doctors do not recommend much of what we have all found and recommend to each other.  I have used the magnesium/calcium/zinc combo with good results, I also found that comperession socks work well, as do orthodics, and new shoes with good heels.  As does hydration, drinking quinine (tonic) water.  The problems change over time. One cure will work until your one of the factors that contribute to your problems change. If you gain weight it will affect your calf muscles. If a pair of shoes hurt and you walk incorrectly it will cause hip pain and muscle pain in your calves.  Get rid of the shoes.  Get a new pair.  Do what ever you need to alieviate your pain because doctors do not have all the answers and frankly will not recommend things like support socks and quinine water.  
I have had the exact same thing for the last 6 months. I have had xrays, emg and a doppler test and nothing shows up. I thinks doctors think its all in my head,  I feel like my life is being stripped from me because the pain gets so bad.  If you should find something that gives you relief, please contact me.  I have  $5000 worth of doctor bills and no relief or answers. I have bought ever over the counter pain relief and nothing works.
THIS  IS NOT A JOKE PUT A CAKE OF SOAP
IN YOUR BED AND LEAVE IT THERE IT WORKS
FOR LEGS CRAMPS. GIVE IT A TRY A CAKE OF
SOAP $ i.00 A DOCTOR VIST ?????
DON KOOS
One year ago June 17th, I woke up with severe groin pain... I didn't know what to do. I waited a couple of weeks and nothing changed. In tears, I went to the doctor and he ran an ANA panel. I was told I tested positive for Lupus; later I was tested with 5 other tests for lupus they all came back negative. Still, the pain was so severe. Four months later I went back to the same doc telling him the pain was still the same. He wanted to medicate me. Bye Bye Doc!
I then saw an orthopedic surgeon. He said it was tendonosis; MRI showed this; although I don't know how. Months later the pain was going into my legs on both sides. This has been going on now for 1 year! Last Friday I was told I tested positive for Lyme Disease yet the other testing for lyme came back negative! I'm so exhausted... So now I have, pain in the groin both sides, pain in lower back, pain and burning in my calves; both sides, my stomach feels like it is burning along with upper and lower back burning. BM burns.... This is crazy!!! My legs and feet feel like they don't belong to my body... I get the chills down both legs... Anyone? Anyone have this? I'm thinking MS? Please help!!!! I've had MRI's, Sonograms, Xrays.... I feel like I'm dying.... Thanks, Fitnesstar        
I am a former soccer player, but when I got into my 30s I started feeling cramiping in my calves which by 40s became very painful after any excercise, particularly running or prolonged walking.

Massages would be an ordeal where pain was all over.

Like many here, the doctor ignored the issue and said it is due to strain. I also used antibiotic Cirpo (yeast), like some, which has some connection with this condition.

One thing I used to alleviate the pain was to wrap the calves with large plastic bags - area between ancle and kneee - then sleep with it so the heat relieved the pain overnight.

Anti-inflamatories like Ibu do not help.

Last year, doctor put me on statins for cholesterol and these pains have largly subsided, although I do get soar after run or walk but it is not as bad.

Statins also impact yeast levels, I hear, so I am planning to include lots of probiotics like yougurt or some probiotic suplements...

Will definitively update my condition on this board because like many here I have been mesmerized with the condition (and like some use Cipro).
Had to comment here.  Until 4.5 months ago I was great, ran 4.5miles/day and rode up to 25 miles on my bike on alternating days, 20lbs less weight than now too.

I went on vacation in Mexico for a week, eating and drinking way out of my norm. Woke up one day towards the end of the vacation and my ankles (like balloons) and legs were swollen and I felt terrible.  Had to stay in bed for the last 1.5days of vacation with pain in my legs, fatigue, stomach problems, etc.

I got home and it got worst, tried exercise and the burning in calf's and thighs was unbearable which moved into my arm muscles and wrists so I had to stop.  To the doctor I went.  They did an EKG, chest x-ray, urine tests, several blood tests for anti-immune, Lyme, R\W blood cell counts, etc., etc. and all came back, you guessed it, "normal".  They (2 doctors) had no answer.

Well obviously I must see another doctor, an RA doctor this time.  I asked why and received no answer that made any sense.   Remember, this happened virtually overnight in Mexico, I was perfect before then.  So far I have not seen the RA.

I saw this forum and started taking vitamins, anti-toxins, no alcohol and am slowly trying to get back to an exercise routine which is painful to say the least but seems to be getting just a little better since dropping the alcohol and taking vitamins.  The pain is way worst in the morning but is there to some extent throughout the day.  Fatigue is constant.  I honestly do not know what to do from this point other than to wait and see with my new diet, vitamins, fluids and exercise.  The doctors have only helped to relieve me from money in my bank account and add to frustration since they don't seem to want to listen to anything one has to say, for instance, I asked for an anti-biotic for the hell of it since I got bit by something in Mexico and it couldn't hurt in case I had some type of infection they missed, but nnnnnnnnno, they rather do nothing but order more seeming useless expensive tests.  

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I am so tired and hurt so bad, this is getting just a little old.  By the way, I found a condition called Alcoholic myopathy. Symptoms including deep calf pain.  Worth a read if you may have indulged too much or have for a long time. http://flipper.diff.org/app/items/info/3992

Keep those suggestions coming, something has to work.
FYI: Male, mid 50's, outdoorsman, never had anything like this before.
I googled calf pain and came upon your excellent letter.  Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience.  I hope people take heed.  My husband had the same problem until he stared drinking a vitamin water whose first three ingredients included magnesium, calcium and potassium - he hasn't had a problem since.

The same thing has happened to me twice and I found relief in only a couple of days.  The calcium, magnesium, and zinc combination is also helpful for those who suffer from chronic upper respiratory infections.  Doctors now know that antibiotics don't help these problems.  

I am into holistic health but I shunned supplementation - that is until now.  There is no need for anyone to be suffering from crippling calf pain.

terj's excellent post written on September 28, 2011:

I amd a 39 year old, white male who having read the symptoms above and began nodded enthusiastically since I have been experiencing the same thing.  Here is what just worked for me...

PROBLEM:  focused muscular pain on the outside of both calves that was exceptionally strong.  I found it not able to be releaved by massage and it was particularly bad after not having moved for a few minutes or hours.  First thing in the morning was the worst, but even standing up from a seated position. I walked with a pronounced limp.   It also began to move up into my thighs a tough and was focused on the lower part of each outer thigh.  This was not as severe and it felt like a bruise on each thigh.

SOLUTION:  based on what I read here, I figured that I'd try a supplement or two.  I originally thought I must have been low on Potassium, but that wasn't it.  I went to Walgreens drugstore and picked up a single supplement called "Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc".  (It was the only one they had with Magnesium in it.  Each pill contains 33% of the FDA recommended levels of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc and also contains 50% of the Vitamin D3.  Well, after a couple days of taking this supplement 3x per day, my legs have dramatically improved.  I would say the pain level went from a pain level of 7 out of 10 down to about a 2 out of 10 and it is improving daily.  I'm not a big holistic guy or a supplement guy, but it appears that my leg pain originated from a deficiency in Magnesium.  I just wanted to share that information here since it could help others experiencing the same thing.  Good luck!
For calf pains try a simple solution first, stop drinking all diet sodas and drinks.  The aspartame could be the cause.  I am a healthly male 45 and work out, running or swimming.  I had been having calf pains, stiffness of the muslces, and sometimes an electric type feeling in them.  I would want to stretch them out when ever I could.  I thought it was just me getting older.  I would soak them in a hot tube and take IB profen.  Well one day I decided to stop drinking Coke Zero for two weeks.  I calf pain went down drasticly, I then decided to drink some on the weekend and yes then pain came back. If you stop all consumtion of aspartame, you see relief in a couple of days, in two weeks a majority should be gone.  In two months all should be gone.  
Update, well saw the RA and went through 15 more blood tests and one other which, drum roll please, showed nothing.  So now I have been taken off all meds including vitamins except for one, Alprazolam.  After a few months off the meds, nothing changed, actually things got worse.  Then it occurred to me, right before my vacation I began a new bottle of Alprazolam which I have been taking for years. Today I started a new bottle and feel different.  Nothing dramatic but just alittle better.  Now I wonder if my prior prescription could have had something wrong with it.  Withdrawal from Alprazolam gives all the affects I've been having.  Hell, I hoping for the best here and perhaps I'll get lucky and get back on track.
Has your dr checked for myasthenia gravis.? The pain worsens when you take cipro.& other antibiotics.
I have suffered severe calf pain in both legs. Sometimes it comes on suddenly and I can't walk another step. I've been through blood tests, they checked my veins. Its very frustrating when all tests come back ok.  Another symptom is everything gets worse after I take certain antibiotics...which leads to my dr wanting to test for Myasthenia gravis, which is a condition where your nerves & muscles don't work together like they should.  My muscles do not feel weak, but then both calves pain & burn like I've exercised them too much.  I'm not sure what I have, but wanted to give another idea for people to check into. There is some great advice in this thread. Thank you.
Well I don't have Myasthenia Gravis. The doctor is thinking I have a deficiency in something, even though my blood tests came back ok. So I'm on high quality vitamins & drinking more water for the next week. I can't see this as the solution for my intense pain in my calves, but I'll try it. It
If you have read any of my posts, I have tried everything suggested on this forum and more.  So to get to the point, I saw my RA one more time and my blood work was all normal again except for a very slight elevated RA factor.  So the doctor decided to treat me with Prednisone(only 10 mg per day) that seems to cover a wide variety of issues.  Long story short.  Within two days my body pain is all but gone.  My swelling is gone, calf's, arms, knee's, etc., my face is back to normal, for some reason I lost between 7-10 lbs. and definitely not complaining about it.  I can make a fist, my entire body cracking and popping is all but gone.  This is remarkable. I don't hurt.  My wife and friends have noticed the change immediately.  I was at my lowest during this last visit and now, everyday is a new positive story. OH, my blood pressure went down to under 120 over 80.  This is really hard to comprehend after 8months of pain.  I really hope this may help someone.
That's strange, I have had leg pains on and off all my life, both my daughters have it too. Ours are definitely related to damp and cold conditions. I have the pain much less since moving from the UK to to the USA. I have also observed that if the weather is very warm and then it drops cooler in the evening (especially if I have had bare legs) my legs ache terribly. I have learned to avoid the conditions that trigger the pain. The hot tub helps a lot, or any kind of heat directly to the area.
I am now feeling pain in both my calves. I have no explination for this. I am constantly on my feet all day long. I thought that may have something to do with it but after reading everyone's testimony it kinda makes me wonder now.....
tell me more. what vitamins please. my calves hurt so bad for the last month that i can hardly walk. any help greatly appreciated. about at my wits end
Thanks That sounds like my problem! but I don't know how to go about finding the right orthotic
My husband is going through the same problems,have you found anything to help reverse the damage,the Doctor says Crestor causal
Can you tell me if you believe the supplements of CAL.MAG.Zinc helped you..my husband was hit bad Saturday,his calf is swollen and the cramp is from hades.Doctor believes the Crestor did it..but no help on how to reverse the problem
I had horrible calf pain for about 1.5 years. I tried orthotics, custom orthotics, trigger point therapy, physical therapy and ART.

I went and saw a chiropractor / nutritionist. He performed a test called Muscle Response therapy. Turns out, I developed an aversion to wheat. I stopped eating wheat and took a few supplements and I haven't had calf pain ever since.

I'm still trying to recover from Plantar Fasciitis...I'm thinking it'll be easier now that my calf pain is gone.
might have artitis??
Please let me know what you took, I am very interested in the blend and kind of vitamins and minerals, I have the same problem.  please email me, rebecca_r9***@****
Hello, I have been having excruciating leg pain for months and about to go out of my mind with it. I do have such a deep tissue pain that goes down to the bone, it feels. It feels like all the veins are being ripped out sometimes and then, it cramps, burns, stings, ACHES all the time. Both legs feel tight..tensed up, like all my muscles stayed flexed and I can't take Flexeril..because it makes me vomit. It must be due to an allergy or something. I can't take Demoral either, it does me the same way. I have no choice, but to take xanax for the tremors, spasms and contractions that I feel on a daily basis.
These tremors stay with me a lot too and it feels like I am frigid, but I am not cold in the least bit. My feet feel cold and stay that way pretty much of the time, but I can't stand heat...like temperatures. I keep my room at 65 degrees...because I sweat so bad sometimes. I don't have diabetes, been checked. I do have some kind of Saliva problem, to where I am numb on my face and can't feel when, I have some that gets at the corners of the mouth.  
Does anyone have a clue what this is? I know that I have Adrenal Insufficiency.(Docs think Primary and Secondary at the same time) It might be the Saliva problem, but not ALL the leg pains. I have been dx'd with Fibro too...but this leg pain is so excruciating and all the time that it can't be that. I have noticed ONE important factor..I think to all of this. IT started in my feet and now, after a year or so...has moved upward. IT has ascended. When, I feel the pain now...it has reached my forearms and biceps...Please, don't say ALS. I know that it is probable. :(
I also have 5 disk herniations with hypertrophy in my T7-T12. I have been hit by a nerve block there and ever since that and the C5-C6 spinal diskectomy..I have only gone downhill. I really felt that they did something to me, when I had that nerve block. I jumped like a bolt of lightening had struck me. The room got deathly quiet too...right after he hit me. I think they call it a "Wet Tap"..not sure.
I just wish that I knew where IT was coming from. Could it be that I am gluten sensitive? I just had a Colon Scope and Endoscope and everything was fine...just an ulcer. I do have a symptom that is bothering me as well...and that is I get a coating on my tongue that is white and when, I brush my teeth...I nearly choke at the phlegm or saliva..or what I think, it is...Cerebrospinal fluid. IF, that is possible...but it is foamy looking and so white. Sometimes, it is clear and white and foamy. IT is scaring me because I gag and can't even talk sometimes.
IF, it weren't for my legs I would be up and helping others...like I want to do, but...I can't get a clue to what this could be with so many symptoms. I couldn't touch it because there are so many...so, not mentioning all of them. I do have blurry vision/w an aura all the time. I have head pain and sometimes excruciating migraines..I burn, cramp, experience numbness, pins/needles, swelling in abdomen, kidney incontinence(bad-wear a pullup), have lung congestion, wheezing...and have trouble going to the restroom, not 1...etc. :(
I am so young with 2 young men that need me. I am sorry that I am all over the place, but I am all over the place. I have pain from the tip of my head...to the bottom of my feet..ughh it is just miserable all the time. By the way...I do smoke and have since, I was 35 from a stressful situation. It is hard to quit smoking..especially, when they don't fill the chantix you have needed for months. Having Addison's is another reason...we don't suppose to have ANY stresss...right...no stress. I can see that happening. :o
I just wish someone had some info...any info.because this leg pain is really making me feel at the bottom of the rope. I know that I am complicated...even my own primary Doc said that I was the most complex patient he has. :P
Tender calves are often associated with B12 deficiency.  Less commonly one can get leg and knee pain.  
I posted my calf issue on Aug 11, 2012. You can search my orginal post but I will paste it below my comment as to what has happened since.

Briefly:
Like most folks here, I suffered bruising pains on calf muscles, the pains were sourness as though those muscles never trained before although, as a sooccer player I ran alot and have been in good condition. Pain was in Soleus muscle (side of the calf) and middle of the calf where tendon meets the muscles. Pain was also in the heel (brucitis).

UPdate as of December 1, 2013:
I've begun taking Sesamin, oil from the seasmi seeds for a week now, and to my surprise, I ran 8 miles 2 days in the row and the only pain I got is in the brucitis and not on soleus, nor the middle of the calf.

I other words, all the areas where most of you and me are complaining about are not there. Pain is gone!

I was told Sesamin is an anti-inflamatory and helps in wight loss and cholesterol, but running 8 miles before I took Sesamine would put me in the bed for days.

Now, I don't know if this is a fix for everybody, but it seems to work for me. Besides, Sesamine is good for anyone because it gets rid of the bad cholesterol and has no side-effects.

This oil supplement has many benefits which you can google yourself and find out. As such, it seems to me that all of you who suffer this issue like me should try this supplement and see if it works for you.

You can get Sesamin from various vitamin shops or Amazon.

------ ORIGINAL POST_______

soccerstar12  
Aug 11, 2012 .

soccerstar12  
Aug 11, 2012 .To: SoccerStar .I am a former soccer player, but when I got into my 30s I started feeling cramiping in my calves which by 40s became very painful after any excercise, particularly running or prolonged walking.

Will definitively update my condition on this board because like many here I have been mesmerized with the condition (and like some use Cipro). .
In the last year I have had restless legs..... my knees and calf muscles are so achy and sore. At night it is hard to sleep because of the aches and pains. I went to the doctors and they said try drinking more water. Well I drink water so I don't think it is that. I have tried stretches along with hot and cold packs but nothing seems to work. I walk they are sore i don't walk they are sore. Massaging them helps a little but only while they are being massaged. If anyone has any advice please let me know. This is making me lose sleep and it is very annoying.
I've had a series of problems with tight calves, achy joints and general malaise.  I am a 55 year old woman who is very active.

After hunting around, I found that certain foods clearly trigger the problems.  It took a while to narrow them down and I'm sure different people have different foods that may trigger.

For me, it was peanuts, diet coke, and too much bread/wheat.  Also, it turns out I am allergic to sulphates (this is not the same as sulfites) so I stay away from most prepared foods as a general rule.

Eat fresh, mix your own ingredients and see if that helps.  Try a simple diet for a week with limited ingredients.

The problem goes away in about a week for me so it is clearly the foods in my case.

Good luck... and don't give up.  If something looks complicated, find a simple solution.
Viewing 201-242 comments: