Exercise & Fitness Community
Tight, swollen calves

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Tight, swollen calves

I just turned 44 and am very active - swim competitively, hike, workout at gym, etc. - almost daily.

Over the past week, I've experienced tight, swollen calves (both of them) for no apparent reason. Usually happens while sitting at work desk. I try to get up hourly and walk around. I've tried different chairs, but it doesn't seem to matter. When they start to hurt, I stretch them out and even try to massage them, but to no avail. Even continued feeling very tight through a swimming workout yesterday. When they swell, my socks leave an impression at the ankles. Skin looks normal.

I drink plenty of water and stretch daily. I'm not overweight (130 lbs, 5' 9"). I take no medications, except (over the counter) ibuprofen lately for injured neck (whiplash) which has been acting up the past two weeks. Can that be related?

I hate going to the doctor - it costs a fortune and they rarely know what's wrong.
Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

The pain and tightness in the calf usually occurs secondary to the prolonged sitting. What happens is that there is a muscle in the pelvis region which is known as iliopsoas which tends to rotate the pelvis due to the prolonged sitting and the rotated pelvis impinges on the sciatic nerve causing the pain and th tightness in the calves. I’ll suggest you to continue standing intermittently, what you are doing now, and the calf pain and swelling should go away.  

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind Regards.
Try the Acai berry blend.
It helps reduce inflammation and many atheletes claim that it greatly reduces their recovery rates.

w w w . m y m o n a v i e . c o m / t s w e b b

Get on the juice.