Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Black Spot In My Right Eye For A Week!
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Black Spot In My Right Eye For A Week!

I've had this odd black spot in my right eye for about a week. It's slightly changed shape, but it won't go away! I can see it mostly when looking at the sun or a TV/PC screen, but it's always there! I'm starting to worry wether it's a health problem or not. Some advice about it, please?
Related Discussions
please dont look at the sun, for one thing.

but it sounds like a FLOATER...intraoculr debris.  usually benign but rarely caused by a retinal problem such as hole, tear, detachment.  you need an eye examination to rule our retinal problems...
8 Comments
Blank
I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

But when in doubt, make it a priority to check it up with a doctor.
Blank
I am not a doctor either.  But when I saw new black spots, I was told to come into the office immediately, to make sure it was just a floater, and not something like a retinal tear, which could lead to a detached retina, which is very, very, serious!  Call your doctor.  Or the doctor that you do call, tell the office your symptoms over the phone; so that they can fit you in immediately.
Blank
Have you ever been checked for glaucoma?
Blank
glaucoma does not cause a "black spot" that can be seen by the patient.

the vast majority of glaucoma patients have no symptoms at all.  they only know they have glaucoma b/c an eye doctor tells them.  they do not see a "black spot".
Blank
I wouldn't call it a black spot either but what I meant was that there would be an area if the peripheral vision that you can't see a thing.  I call that an area of darkness.
Blank

Thanks loads!

I really should see a doctor, huh.
Blank
Do you think that cleaning my eye with products like "Optrex" every day would help?
Blank
If you have no vision from the side of you eye, you need to see a doctor immediately, to rule out retinal detachment, which left untreated can lead to blindness.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank