Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Black Spot In My Right Eye For A Week!

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Black Spot In My Right Eye For A Week!
I've had this odd black spot in my right eye for about a week. It's slightly changed shape, but it won't go away! I can see it mostly when looking at the sun or a TV/PC screen, but it's always there! I'm starting to worry wether it's a health problem or not. Some advice about it, please?
please dont look at the sun, for one thing.

but it sounds like a FLOATER...intraoculr debris.  usually benign but rarely caused by a retinal problem such as hole, tear, detachment.  you need an eye examination to rule our retinal problems...
I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

But when in doubt, make it a priority to check it up with a doctor.
K-D
I am not a doctor either.  But when I saw new black spots, I was told to come into the office immediately, to make sure it was just a floater, and not something like a retinal tear, which could lead to a detached retina, which is very, very, serious!  Call your doctor.  Or the doctor that you do call, tell the office your symptoms over the phone; so that they can fit you in immediately.
Have you ever been checked for glaucoma?
glaucoma does not cause a "black spot" that can be seen by the patient.

the vast majority of glaucoma patients have no symptoms at all.  they only know they have glaucoma b/c an eye doctor tells them.  they do not see a "black spot".
I wouldn't call it a black spot either but what I meant was that there would be an area if the peripheral vision that you can't see a thing.  I call that an area of darkness.

Thanks loads!

I really should see a doctor, huh.
Do you think that cleaning my eye with products like "Optrex" every day would help?
K-D
If you have no vision from the side of you eye, you need to see a doctor immediately, to rule out retinal detachment, which left untreated can lead to blindness.