Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Concern about eye floaters had since child

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I've had floaters since I was a small child (definitely before 10  years old). Some have faded, some new ones have come. Now I probably have a couple of medium-sized and a few smaller floaters in each eye. They don't often bother me, but every so often, I absolutely freak out, become convinced that I'm going to lose my sight, and google like crazy until I find something that convinces me that I'm suffering from something major. I wear glasses (not a super strong correction for astigmatism) and have probably had my eyes dilated 6+ times over the last 15 years and no one has ever said the floaters were anything to be concerned over.

I have already scheduled another exam for next week because I can't handle the panic feelings. Am I nuts to panic?  If I've had floaters and no other real symptoms for 20 years, is it likely that I'm suffering from something horrible? Right now, I'm convincing myself that I must have "intermediate uveitis" since google searches say that it presents without red eye, no eye pain, just floaters.

Has anyone ever thought they just had floaters and then been diagnosed with this? Could several different eye professionals have missed this if they are doing dilation?  Wouldn't I have had other symptoms by now if this was what's going on?

Thanks for reassurance...I am going to an eye doc next week, but I need to be able to breathe until then.
J.
most people have a few floaters in each eye.  the ones who say they dont just havent noticed them.  i have 5 or so in each eye.  occasionally one goes away but i gain a new one.  i would cinsider that totally normal.  no, it is highly unlikely that you have any form of uveitis.  it is also highly unlikely that your last eye doctor(s) missed some huge problem that is causing your floaters.

if your floaters are small, and basically the same most of the time, and you have less than say 10 floaters in each eye, and you do not have vision loss of any kind, or pain/redness/extreme light sensitivity, and you do not suddenly develop a LOT of floaters or a very large one, then the chances of you having something serious are miniscule.

go get another exam and get dilated again and have someone look again.  but in the meantime try to relax.  it is my opinion that you are most likely totally fine.
Juliet,

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone!  I go through the same thing - panic over floaters - they are very annoying.  I see approximately 10 in each eye off and on every day, different shapes and sizes...I find the more I concentrate on them the worse it is!  Also, I work in an office, on a computer, with lots of white walls and overhead fluorescent lighting and it drives me crazy there as well as outdoors!

I'm sure if you've been examined that many times that you have nothing to worry about....just so you know..you're not alone!
I just wanted to say "thanks" to the Doctor and to the other poster. I am a real hypochonriac (and I'm in counseling for it, but it's not helping yet!) and this is driving me nuts.  I guess I have to have faith that my previous doctors couldn't have missed something that major...at least not ALL of them could have. It's time for another exam anyway, so I'll get checked again next week and will...I hope...be able to put this out of my mind for another year or two!
J.
Floaters don't seem to be harmful....they're kinda like free entertainment;)