Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Enlarged Blood Vessel in Eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Enlarged Blood Vessel in Eyes

Seen my Optho yesterday and I was told that I have to see a Retinal Specialist due to enlarged blood vessels in my eyes.  My question is what is the cause of the condition? Does it have a name for enlarged vessels in the eyes and how soon should I see the Retinal Specialist?
Avatar n tn
it depends on what they're talking about. if EVERY vessel in both of your eyes looks "enlarged", thats probably a systemic condition like high blood pressure.

if only ONE part of ONE vessel is "enlarged" that sounds more like retinal aneurysm.
Avatar n tn
Per the pics it is all the vessels that are enlarged.  I haven't been DX with high blood pressure, but I do get migrains.  What is the condition called?
Avatar n tn
ah, could be migraines.  thats a distinct possibility.

there is no diagnosis or condition that has a name for "engorged blood vessels".  if you do have engorged blood vessels, its a side effect or a sign of some OTHER problem. there is no "engorged retinal blood vessel disease".
Avatar n tn
Thank you for answering my question
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, my left eye was started.
A related discussion, blood vessel in eye was started.