Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Enlarged Blood Vessel in Eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Enlarged Blood Vessel in Eyes

Seen my Optho yesterday and I was told that I have to see a Retinal Specialist due to enlarged blood vessels in my eyes.  My question is what is the cause of the condition? Does it have a name for enlarged vessels in the eyes and how soon should I see the Retinal Specialist?
it depends on what they're talking about. if EVERY vessel in both of your eyes looks "enlarged", thats probably a systemic condition like high blood pressure.

if only ONE part of ONE vessel is "enlarged" that sounds more like retinal aneurysm.
Per the pics it is all the vessels that are enlarged.  I haven't been DX with high blood pressure, but I do get migrains.  What is the condition called?
ah, could be migraines.  thats a distinct possibility.

there is no diagnosis or condition that has a name for "engorged blood vessels".  if you do have engorged blood vessels, its a side effect or a sign of some OTHER problem. there is no "engorged retinal blood vessel disease".
Thank you for answering my question
A related discussion, my left eye was started.
A related discussion, blood vessel in eye was started.