Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye pain worse when eye closed and when blinking?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

About 2 weeks ago my left eye was very sore. Saw the optomotrist first who thought it was just dry as I tend toward dry eyes so I started using thera tears(which havent helped), and lacrilube at night which didnt help at all. Went to my gp last week and he looked at the eye, didnt see anything but in case it was an infection gave me antibiotic drops(havent helped). Eye has become much worse but only is real painful when it's closed esp. if I move my eye around underneath so im having a h-ll of a time sleeping. When I wake up in the morn(after sleeping for a couple of hours which is the most im getting since it hurts so much i cant fall asleep until im absolutelty exhausted) then its really sore. It feels like something is in there and rubbing, and like the eyeball is swollen , altho when I look under the lid(as much as I can) i dont see anything. Ive made an app't with an opthamologist but I can see him for about a week. This doesnt fell like dry eyes that Ive experienced before. Strangely enough the only thing that seems to help is wearing my contact lense, but unfortunately I cant wear it to bed.
okay i will be blunt here i guess.  this is all of course my opinion and i have not seen you, so take that for what its worth.  but IMO rarely is EYE PAIN caused by "dryness".  i also dont think that any EYE PAIN or "soreness" be fixed/solved by any theratears or lacrilube.  but at least your eye doc could have been on the right track...  did he mention possible recurrent corneal erosion (not just "dryness"?).

never, ever go to a GP for any eye problem.  ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A CONTACT LENS WEARER.

if wearing your contact seems to make it feel better, that suggests a possible (and probable IMO) corneal problem like abrasion,
epithelial disruption, infiltrate, or ulceration.

you need to be seen SOONER than a week IMO.  i dont know what to tell you.  a week is too long to wait for a contact lens wearer in pain.  there are too many bad possibilities.

Ok now you've worried me...I'll call again and see if I can get in sooner(although we here in Canada are used to waiting far too long :(. Any sugeestions for good opthamologists in Buffalo since we're not too far from the border if I cant get in any quicker? Wouldnt the optomotrist have seen an abrasion/ulcer etc. through the lamp though ?
yes, in theory if you had some corenal problem the optometrist would have probably seen it.  no guarantees tho i guess.

pain and discomfort in a contact lens wearer is IMO more of a big deal than pain and discomfort in anyone else.

dont know anyone in Buffalo...sorry
Thank you so much. I called and was seen today and boy you were right. I prob. will get this wrong but the Dr. saw damage to the epitheal layer, and swelling on the cornea(with the yellow dye he used). Needless to say, Im off contac lenses for 2 weeks, and on cortisone /antibiotic drops and going back to see him in 10 days.