Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eyelid Twitch and MS

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyelid Twitch and MS

Hi there.  I've had a persistent eyelid twitch off and on for about 3 months.  Suddenly on Thanksgiving Day, I had the sensation that warm water was being poured down my leg.  The warm sensation lasted about 3 weeks, and happened often.  It gradually faded away, with fewer episodes each day.  Just a few days ago, I had a very mild buzzing sensation on one small spot above my elbow (I carry a heavy bag on that arm. I've obviously stopped doing that.)  This happened a few times each day for two or three days.  For the eyelid twitch, I just started drinking a lot more water (I'm not much of a drinker; maybe a few cups of something a day).  So far today, I have not had any eyelid twitches, or any other symptoms.  I've had brief periods of a few days to a week when the twitching stopped, but has ultimately come back.  I've also noticed several brief muscle twitches all over, but then again, I'm noticing everything now!  I feel like a complete hypochondriac, and some days I'm absolutely convinced that I have MS.  I know the symptoms are extremely variable, and so this makes me worry a lot!  I also know the symptoms come and go with no pattern.  Last week both of my arms fell asleep while I was sleeping, but "woke up" immediately after I moved them around.  Needless to say, that scared me too!  I have Celiac Sprue (diagnosed 3 years ago after a 6-yr. illness), and am on a successful gluten-free diet.  But since then, everything makes me worry.  I also know that there are connections among certain autoimmune diseases.  Please help!  I'm scared to death of MS!  Thank you so much.
none of that sounds like MS to me.  i'm sorry that you're "convinced" you have MS, but based on those symptoms, i certainly am not.  you would need an MRI to diagnose MS (and possibly other tests like VEP).  none of your symptoms above warrant an MRI IMO.

eyelid twitch is very, very annoying, but very, very common.  MYOKYMIA.  many threads here on this.  probably not related to MS.  much more likely to be related to lack of sleep or caffeine use or stress.  i myself have been dealing with it on and off for about 2 months, so i know what you're going thru.  topical and oral antihistamines like optivar and claritin help.  so do warm (not hot!) compresses.

if you're really worried about MS, see a neurologist or try to get a nreferral for one from your primary care physician.  but again just based on what you've posted above...doesnt sound much like MS to me.
Thank you so very much.  I appreciate it!
I'm not a doctor but I have a relative with MS. This doesn't sound like MS at all. Random twitching is normal. I would be more worried if the twitching occurred in the same spot or muscle group for several days without stopping but even then it wouldn't necessarily be MS. It could just be an injury. Warm water down the leg sounds more like an injury to me as well. Perhaps pressure on the sciatic nerve could cause this from sitting too long in a certain position and pressing on the leg in the wrong place. Maybe even sleeping on it wrong. Buzzing sensations, although they are sometimes a sign of neurological disorders, can also be caused by water retention, muscle or nerve injury or maybe poor circulation.

Eye twitches are annoying. I had one for three months. Stress, caffeine, high salt or sugar diets and lack of exercise all cause this. It's not really a symptom of MS. If you don't have any constant numbness, tingling (and not the tingling that occurs from limbs falling asleep), gait or walking problems, severe eye issues (i.e.: everything being fuzzy or veiled or being the wrong color) then I wouldn't even think about MS.
Thanks.  Your reassurance also makes me feel better, and what you say makes a lot of sense.  After going through a six-year illness with either no diagnosis or a wrong one, it's easy to become fixated on other medical problems, real or perceived.  I got so sick of doctors telling me that "it was all in my head"!
Thanks again!!