Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Ocular Histoplasmosis - Pregnancy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Ocular Histoplasmosis - Pregnancy

Hello, I have 20/20 vision, but may have inactive ocular histoplasmosis.  I have had some very slight visual disturbances that led my eye dr. to find some scaring around my optical nerve not in the line of vision.  In 2003 I had the dye test done to confirm that there was no activity and no bleeding.  I just got back from another visit and they didn't have the old pictures to compare to and I used a differen dr.  The dr. said that the scars in my left eye are puffed up, but that they could be the same as they were in 2003, but he doesn't know.  I am 8 months pregnant and going to try for a vaginal delivery.  Do you know what the chances are of me damaging my eye(s) during the pushing stage?  I hear so much about other people with ocular histoplasmosis having SO many problems and procedures, but I haven't had any issues at all really and when I look at the pictures on the web they do not look like mine.  I do not have any histo spots, just some visable scars around the nerve.  Please give your opinion.  I am scheduled to see a retna spceialist the first of the year, but could possibly go into labor before hand.  I just want to be as educated as I can possibly be.  Thanks in advance for your comments/help.

Elliemay
i think you'll be fine during delivery.  histo forms scars during active infection.  that can be recurrent, but probably not IMO directly related to intracranial pressure during delivery.
How does a person contract histo?
bad luck.

you have to be exposed at some point.  it is more common in the mississippi river valley.  children are especially vulnerable.  infants can contract it from their mother in the womb, even if the mother has never shown signs of it and doesnt know she has it.
Thank you SO much!
http://www.stlukeseye.com/Conditions/Histoplasmosis.asp
A related discussion, ocular histoplasmosis was started.