Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retinal Holes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Retinal Holes

I have 3 holes in retina of my left eye and one in right.
Doc has asked me to undergo laser treatment. I would like to know how i can be sure wheather i have holes. That is what are the symtoms (symptoms) of retinal holes. How  can i be sure that i really have holes. Can i have some sort of images of my retina to see if i have holes.
What are the side effects of laser treatment.
I have -9.0 in both eyes.
I also plan to have lasik ...
please advise me what to do.(I am from Baroda,India)
if you are -9.0 you probably do have holes.  there are usually no symptoms of a retinal hole...until it turns into a retinal detachment, which would be bad.  the suggested laser is to prevent that from happenning.  no, there are usually no flashes, etc

yes, retinal holes would show up on imaging.  ask your surgeon to take photos or retinal scan ("optomap") and show you the holes.  that should be easy enough.  but in general, the more nearsighted a person is, the more likely holes are going to be present.

having lasik is fine, but you will still be at the same risk for future/more holes
Thanks a lot for ur reply.

Will the laser treatment for retinal holes have any side effects like blurred vision,shadow..(since the portion surrounding the retinal hole will be dead due to laser)
Doc said my retinal holes are really very small.

Is laser treatment the only treatment for retinal holes.
Are there any other better treatment for retinal holes. If so please mention them.

What do u advise ...should i under go laser treatment as soon as possible.

Can we stop or reduce future occurance of retinal holes?

Thanks in advance.
A related discussion, retinal hole treatment required before lasik was started.
A related discussion, RETINAL HOLES was started.