Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retinal holes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Retinal holes

Thanks a lot for ur reply.

Will the laser treatment for retinal holes have any side effects like blurred vision,shadow..(since the portion surrounding the retinal hole will be dead due to laser)
Doc said my retinal holes are really very small.

Is laser treatment the only treatment for retinal holes.
Are there any other better treatment for retinal holes. If so please mention them.

What do u advise ...should i under go laser treatment as soon as possible.

Can we stop or reduce future occurance of retinal holes?

Thanks in advance.
  • Retinal Holes (2 replies):
    I have 3 holes in retina of my left eye and one in right...[more]
  • Retinal Hole (3 replies):
    I had LASIK surgery March of 2007. About 2 weeks ago I h...[more]
  • inky spot (3 replies):
    Will the inky spot in my central vision go away or fad...[more]
  • Retinal Holes (2 replies):
    History: I am 23 years old. Have high myopia since last...[more]
  • retina hole (1 replies):
    I am 25 years old man. I am wearing glass -8.25 and -6 ....[more]
no, you will not have any lasting effects from laser hole repair.  no shadows/blur, etc.  you wont even know it has been done.

yes, laser is the only way to fix a hole.  the old way was called cryo...a barbaric procedure by todays standards.

yes, if you have holes you probably need laser.  no, you cant do anything to prevent new holes from developing later, other than just get dilated every year and try to catch them early...
Your reply really helped me in making decision.
Thanks a lot.
I just came from an eye exam, at which the doctor told me I have a retina hole with pigmentation around it. I am 25 years old, my vision is -3.25.
I actually had an eye-exam about 4 months ago because of increased floaters, but that doctor didn't see any holes...I am scheduled for a laser surgery tomorrow, but do I need it? Are there risks associated with the surgery? And does it mean that I will develop holes in the other eye as well? I do have floaters in both eyes.

Thank you!!!
I have had normal eye exams all my life-I am 30yrs old.  Wear contacts.  the other night, 2 nights, for about 15-10mins i saw flashing lights.  i called my eye MD and he told me to go right away to see a specialist. (i read that that could be a symptom of retinal detachment).  the MD i saw said I was ok-that i probably had an occular migraine.  i asked if it was related to anxiety and stress which i have been having high levels of.  in looking at my retina though, he saw in each one, a small hole, and said i should get surgery-a 5 min laser surgery. i may have had these holes all my life.  i am confident in him, but worried.  he said the lights i saw were probably not related to the holes, but as a preventative measure i should do the surgery for the holes. this would have never been picked up on a general eye exam.  wonder if these holes are common with people and they don;t know?any advice?!
I have several holes on both eyes. My doctor told me he was sure these holes need to be treated and refered me to a specialist and the appointment date is one week later. I am wondering how fast these holes develops? Do I need to worry that they will develop retinal tear or retinal detachment? And why the doctor told me he was not sure they need to be treated?

Thanks.
has anyone heard of a hollenhorst plaque in eye?  it is a cholesterol emboli.. my retina specialist found one and i will go see another doctor.  i am 30yr (f) w. no hx of high cholesterol or any problems...
A related discussion, retinal hole was started.
A related discussion, Face MASSAGE was started.