Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Vision Prescription help.. how do I figure out what 20/? I am...?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi. I am interested in becoming a police officer, but I doubt my vision is good enough.
All I have for prescription information is whats on my contact box, hopefully someone can help.
It reads: -4.75 8.4 13.8

I was wondering what 20/? I am?  20/40? 20/60? 20/80? or what?.. Thanks so much
w/o glasses or contacts... about 20/600?  nowhere close to 20/40 or 20/60 or 20/80.  probably not even 20/400 (the minimum for uncorrected acuity for some branches of the military)

i dont know what the exact vision requirements are for your profession, but most just have you be "correctable" to 20/20 with glasses or contacts, then have you have some "acceptable" uncorrected vision (like the 20/400 for some portions of the military stated above).  again if your contact lens rx is -4.75, you are probably not 20/400 uncorrected.  you are probably around 20/600 or so, give or take
wow I didn't know it even went that high.. my eyes suck =(  *sigh*

I popped by the eye doctor, they said around 20/400...

I guess I'll have to do laser eye surgery.

I need to have 20/60 uncorrected to be a police officer here..
I have terrible vision and my prescription is -9.0. What 20/??? would that be?

-9.00 = 20/CF or 20 / HM
that means 20/400 is the Big E on the eye chart. If you can't read it but you can count fingers in front of you.......that is CF......actually it is measured in CF ___ ft...that means how many feet away from you.you can count the fingers.

HM is hand motion only, can't count the fingers, but see the hand wave.......after that it is LPO (light perception only -- no hand motion.......then NLP ( no light perception)
A related discussion, eye charts was started.
If my right eye is 20/50 and the left is 20/100 am I eligible for Social security?