Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
black spot in vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

black spot in vision

hello I keep noticing this black spot in my right eye vision especially in my right eye, and especially noticeable in bright sunlight.   sometimes it seems like it has a mind of its own and floats in and out of my field of vision.   also, sometimes i see these 'clear black bubbles' in bright sunlight and this often is distracting.    i should also point out that i have chronic severe daily headaches (constant).   I have had an eye exam and neurological exam including MRI of brain with no problems seen.   What could this be?
the black spot is likely a floater.

the clear black bubbles is also likely a form of floater
Thanks for the reply doc.   So what does a "floater" mean as far as the future of my vision?   Is this a bad thing or a benign thing?  Does it require treatment?    I'm only 29 just to let you know.     And could this have any sort of connection to my cronic (chronic) daily headache that you know of?    Oh and another thing, quite often when I look left to right my vision goes slightly double.
totally benign.  very common even in a 29 year old.  i'm 34 and i have many floaters.  means nothing and will not affect long term eye health or vision.

seeing double occasionally when looking in a specific direction also likely means nothing.  as long as it is *infrequent* and only happens under certain predictable conditions
Hey doc, thanks for the follow up reply.    This "floater" is really starting to drive me nuts.   it's in my field of vision most of the time, it's the black spot that's allways the same shape, and it's almomst like I can "convince" it to float out of my field of vision but when i move my eyes it pops right back up.    Is this ever possible to get worse?   what causes these things and can anything be done about it?   thanks again
intraocular debris...most likely collagen.  yes there is something you could do fit it...a surgical procedure called a "vitrectomy".  fairly invasive.  not worth it IMO if you only have the one floater, and its small, and its unchanging.

if it gets larger or if MANY more show up, you need en eye exam.  but if just the one floater is driving you crazy, not much anyone could or would do about that