Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
shaky eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

shaky eye

Hi i'm 22 years old and am shortsighted (-3). Since last thursdsay ive found that when i wake up in the mormning the room seems to be shaking quite violently. This then subsides but i find that whenim reading a page in a book it appears to be shaking sligtly as do the letters on the page and i dont seem to be able to focus on themproperly. I ahve no isead what this is , whats causing it and what it means but its really affecting my studying!! I went to the opticians last month and they couldnt find anything wrong with my eyes. My friends think that it could possibly be due to stress as i am currently sitting my finals and am under a great deal of pressure athe moment. but it does seem odd that stress would manifest itself inthis way. But i do seem to have had a lot of random eye related pronlems this year beginning with blepharitis in janary ( something which ive never had before) followed by eye strain in feburary and since march i found that whenver i close my eyes and open them it feels as though my eyes take a while to adjust , that is to say it feels as if my eyes have been 'crossed' whilst they were closed and on opening them it feels as though im uncrossing them? im not sure if taht makes any sense? But my real concern is the shaky vision which i seem to be having... i hope u can help.... many thanks A
well, this is tough to answer.  if you have true shaking of the vision, called "aquired oscillopsia", that could be a big deal.  it would indicate a possile/probable neurological problem.  you'd need a neurologist.

but if your "shaking" vision was related to poorly controlled eye movements or convergence problems like "heterophoria" or "heterotropia" "convergence insufficiency" or "convergence excess", that wouldnt be nearly as concerning.  it would likely mean you need glasses or prismatic correction, possibly vision therapy.  that kind of diagnosis would make sense based on your current visual stress level (finals) and the feeling your eyes were "crossed".

you need a second opinion.  i'd go to an eye doc or at least a different optician.
Hi i wne to an eye doctor  a month ago where i had my pupils dilated. Would they have been able to have picked up on the neurological problem u stated? Could the shaky vion not be due to me having to read ecessively athe moment? i'm sorry for all the questions its just taht im abit scared athe prospect of having a serious problem concerning my eyes. I wiull definitly go and see my eye doctor as soonas my exams are over.
i dont know.  someone has to see your eyes again to see what kind of "jumpy" we're talking about.
A related discussion, shakey (shaky) eye problem was started.
A related discussion, Shaky eye vision was started.