Eye Care Expert Forum
4 year old farsighted

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

4 year old farsighted
My son is 4 years old and has started pre-kindergarten.  They did an eye check at school and said he needed an eye check-up.  We took him the the local ophthalmologist ( although not a pediatric ophthalmologist) and she stated he was farsighted and definitely needed glasses.  I am not sure about how lenses strength is determined but she stated he was a 5.5?   He can write his name and draws very well and even pick out words in books we read, so this was a large surprise to us.  We got his glasses today and he likes them but is able to read numbers and write his name both with and without.  She checked to see if his eyes would turn inward, trying to strain to make things out, but he does not do that.  Should we get a 2nd opinion and could this correct itself?  Thanks - Richard
If it was my child I would get a second oponion with a pediatric ophthalmologist.  You can find one at www.aao.org.

MJK MD
I think hyperopia in children does often correct itself by the time they are about 10, and that correcting it with glasses could interfere with this.  Is this right, Dr. Kutryb?
AOE says:

In most hyperopic children, the process of emmotropization leads to a gradual reduction in the degree of hyperopia by 5-10 years of age. Some children do not go through this process, however. They remain significantly hyperopic and at increased risk for developing strabismus and amblyopia. Although patients under 5 who have over 3.25 D of hyperopia appear to benefit from early optical correction to reduce the risk for strabismus and amblyopia, the results of animal studies suggest that early optical correction, especially in infants, can interfere with emmetropization. Thus, early treatment has the potential to result in the maintenance of the refractive error throughout life.
er, I mean AOA, as in the American Optometric Association
Sometimes, the hyperopia improves on its own over time - sometimes it doesn't.  These kids in the +5 range are very high risk for strabismus and amblyopia.  I'm not into speculating as to who will and who will not need glasses.  The bottom line is that he should see a pediatric ophthalmologist to not only see if he needs glasses but also what power glasses to actually prescribe which can be rather tricky sometimes.  Take my advise - this is definitely what I would do.  I appreciate what you are saying and like you, I just worry about things like amblyopia and strabismus.

MJK MD
Thank you for responding Dr. Kutryb.  I have my son an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist next Friday.  Thanks!