Eye Care Expert Forum
5 year old seeing light behing eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

5 year old seeing light behing eyes
My son was sitting at the table today in a moderately lit public place with overhead lighting and high ceilings with lots of natural light. It was a cloudy, very overcast day. He suddenly put his hands up to both eyes and complained that the light was in his eyes, then bent his head down. I asked what he meant and he said it was like when you  look at a bright light. He kept his eyes covered for a bit, and then it went away. It happened again within several minutes, with the same response. He's never had this before, and I don't expect him to have it again, but wonder what it might possibly be. Incidentally, he just had an eye exam last month and it was perfect.

Any input is greatly appreciated - thanks!
I don't specialize in pediatric ophthalmology, but I agree that it sounds incidental. Definitely seek care if this occurs again. It sounds like a headache type of symptom, though children usually don't get headaches unless ill or feverish. Might he have a "bug?"
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Thank you. He did have another occurrence the following day, but not yesterday. He didn't have any pain either time, just "brightness" that doesn't go away when he shuts or covers his eyes. He was fighting off a virus last week, I think, becuase he had a low fever for a couple days and has been extremely sleepy. But yesterday he had more energy and seems to be getting back to himself. So maybe it was related to a virus.
Thanks again for your input - I appreciate it.