Eye Care Expert Forum
Black line from pupil in my eye.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Black line from pupil in my eye.
I have a black line coming from my pupil which I've only really noticed over the last few years. My mother said I've had it since I was a little child.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Tsura/DSC00178.jpg (sorry the pic is quite large)

Do you have any idea what it is?
The picture is not well focused but statistically its likely a iris frckle (iris nevus), could also be ectropion uvie where pigment on back side of iris gets turned out. Not likely to ever be a problem

JCH MD
Dear jebsie,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the etiology.  I cannot tell from the picture whether this might represent a missing piece of iris or a nevus or even, melanoma.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California