Eye Care Expert Forum
Burst blood vessel in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Burst blood vessel in eye
I'm under a lot of stress recently and my left eye has a burst blood vessel that started out far corner and has moved to the center of my eye and is encircling my cornea.  Should I be concerned? I have not hit my eye on anything. Should I visit a doctor? I do not have insurance and my husband just left me! Please help.
If there is no pain and no decrease of vision and your husband does not "free bleed" and is not on coumadin/warfarin then as jms1182 suggests the most likely diagnosis is subconjunctival hemorrhage which is very common, very scary looking but a benign problem (it's like a bruise on the eye and could happen even from a cough or heaving lifting).

JCH III MD Ophthalmologist
Just a thought - take a read up on subconjunctival hemorrhage.
A related discussion, my eye was started.