Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataract removal with hole in retina?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cataract removal with hole in retina?

Will it be ok to go ahead with the cataract surgery with an existing hole in the retina? Am asking this for a second opinion.
Am 61 and have a good deal of astigmatism and am highly myopic.

Thank you.

If your cataract is causing marked problems such as glare, loss of peripheral vision or rivalry with the other eye and your Eye MD feels it would be helpful, and if you understand the risks involved (infection, bleeding, retinal detachment, small risk loss of eye) then there is no reason not to have the surgery.

Post operatively you should hae your eyes dilated and checked for a RD more often than the routine case: at least one week, 3-4 weeks, 8 weeks,  then every 3-4 months for a year.

It would be helpful to have a retina specialist see your pre and post operatively.

JCH IIIMD
I would not think it would be a good idea at all. But wait until the Doctors here tell you their professional opinion.
Hi, and thanks for your responce. I feel that because of the hole that would make surgery more iffy? Had my first eye done this past Monday and doing well so far!
A bit nervous about the next one.
I was just thinking about the risk of retinal detachment from cataract surgery. I would get a second opinion from a doctor who can examine your eyes--a retinologist, in fact.

But lets wait and see what the doctors here tell you.

Have you seen a retina specialist?
Perhaps you should post your question again. They have skipped over it.
Thanks for your concern. Maybe I did not include enough info? Will repost tomorrow if need be.
Have not seen a retina doc, have seen 2 opthamologists but at the same clinic and the optometrist that referred me to same clinic - that might boil down to one opinion! I was told to to go ahead with the cataract surgery and if at some time in the future have flashes or many floaters to see a doc quick.
Do appreciate your responce. Am sorry that I did not not see your responce at first.
Right eye with the retinal hole is  -8.00  -2.50 x 147 add +2.75  an opthamologist said that the eye could be brought to 20/25
The left eye was  -7.00  3.00 x 011 once healed is suspposed be 20/30
I really need to get the RT eye done - yes!  but can wait if having the cataract surgery could cause RD or the surgery make RD more apt to happen? Is that what you are saying?

Thank you very much for your time.

As the doctor says, see a retina doc pre surgery; he can give you the odds, based on his examination.
Think of surgery like driving a car. THere is always a risk of death or injury and we read about it all the time. But the risk is relatively low so we take it. Life is taking risks. Sooner or later you vision will be so bad you will have not choice but to have surgery.

Rely on your Eye MD and a retina Eye MD.

JCH III MD
Talked with my optometrist today; will get needed surgery and frequent check ups.
Thank you for your time and assistance.
Hi, thank you for your concern.
See the retinologist pre and post and more checkups, like Dr. Hagen said. That advice is invaluable.
I strongly believe that your "personal eye doctor" should be a physician MD and not a non-MD optometrist. That is you would have two Eye MDs a general ophthalmologist and a retina Eye MD ophthalmologist.  Find a general Eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH III MD