Eye Care Expert Forum
Corneal Abrasion Healing

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Corneal Abrasion Healing

Last Friday I received a corneal Abrasion, which resulted in blurred vision. I went to he doctor and they gave me some drops to put in to treat it. I went back today, the Abrasion is healed, but my vision is still blurred. The doctor said that it was likely just due to swelling and it will heal and my vision would return to normal soon.

I didn't think of any questions to ask at the time, and the office is now closed. My question is this, is there anything I can do to hasten the recovery? Is there anything I should do (or not do) to help my vision heal?
It really depends on the size and location of the abrasion.  As long as no infection develops, your vision should recover completely.  You might try an over the counter ointment such as Muro-128 5% sodium chloride ophthalmic ointment to decrease the corneal swelling.
The doctor also said that there appears to be no permanent damage to the eye. Does anyone know a time frame that, of cared for properly, it would be fully healed?
I'm currently using a simple artificial tear drop, Refresh Tears. I'll look for the product you mentioned.
The same thing happened to me 3 months ago and my vision is not yet back to where it were before the injury.  That's because my injury occurred right on my axis of vision.  The good news is that the vision is getting better, much better but you need to be patient, very patient if you incurred a similar injury.

The corneal is pretty smart in going back to it's original shape but it's a slow process since cells have to grow back and smooth out on the layers that cover your eye.

The blurry vision might become double vision or vision with shaddows and then improve.  So for me it's been over 3 months and not yet back to normal.  The healing occurred after just a few days and that's what it takes for such injury but the trauma might last up to 6 months or even more.  It really depends on the individual and more importantly it depends on where the trauma occurred.  If it's not in the axis of vision then it will get better very soon but the cells might still work on the recovery for a long time without annoying you.  If the trauma is on the axis of vision then your vision will be impaired but on its way to full recovery.
Also Muro 128 helps but I wouldn't touch tear drops unless you are diagnosed with a dry eye.  It's not a time to mess with your eye without recommended drugs from your ophthalmologist.

It's possible that a scar happened after the injury.  It usually heals by itself and eventually go away unless it's deep.
The doctor said there was no scarring of any kind, he suggested I just use eye drops instead of the eye drops that they gave me to prevent infection. He was pretty adamant that the blurred vision was caused by simple swelling.

He said that there doesn't look like there will be any permanent damage to my vision, but as I rely on my vision heavily at work, it gets somewhat bothersome/annoying/frightening to think that I may not fully recover (although I trust the doc).

Not sure which part of the eye is the axis, assuming it's the center, but I think it was a small 'cut' near the iris. That's how it felt anyway.

I've had people suggest Refresh Celluvisc to reduce swelling, any experience with it?
A related discussion, Blurry vision after Corneal Abrasion was started.