Eye Care Expert Forum
Crescent shaped flash in dark

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Crescent shaped flash in dark
For the past month or so I've noticed a flash of light when I open my eyes in the dark.  It is crescent shaped and in the inside corner of my right eye.  I had Lasik surgery about 8 years ago with great results but for the past year and a half my vision has been getting worse, I need glasses to drive and see at distances.  I'm 41 so I know I should theoretically need reading glasses soon, but I have no problems with that.  Is this flash something I should be concerned about?
Yes do worry. You need to see an Eye MD physician (opthalmologist) for a dilated retina exam to rule out retinal tears or detachment.

Your description sounds like you have had some myopia return. When you see the Eye MD ask for a refraction or glasses test. When you get glasses to see better at distance you likely will not be able to read with them as your myopia has been helping you read. When that is corrected with glasses then your eye muscle "will act its age".

JCH III MD
Thank you for the information, I've made an appointment with an Opthamologist for Monday.
Hope all is found to be okay.

JCH III MD