Eye Care Expert Forum
Crystalens refractive target question

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Crystalens refractive target question

Four months after bilateral Crystalens implants (done one week apart) my uncorrected vision in my right eye is 20/50 my uncorrected vision in my left eye is 20/200.   I recently obtained my records as I plan to get a second opinion.  I just discovered that my doctor targeted my right eye at 0.00 and my left eye at -2.00.  From what I read, B&L recommends targets ranging from plano to -.50.  Is this way outside the norm?  My pre-surgery eyeglass prescription for my left eye was -3.25 x -.25 x 162. it is now -2.50 x -1.50 x 10.  Thank you for your help.
Obviously your left eye is much more nearsighted than your right eye after surgery.  It appears that your surgeon aimed for a monovision, with the left eye as the reading eye.  If you are happy with the near vision in the left eye, then you may leave it as is.  If you are unable to adapt to the difference between the eyes, then a LASIK or implant lens exchange could be done.  The latter option (IOL exchange) is more invasive, and could be associated with complications if you have already had a YAG capsulotomy (laser to open a cloudy posterior capsule behind the implant).
Thank you.  I don't believe that my surgeon intended to aim for mono vision.  If that was the case, I would not have paid for a premium lens in that eye.  I have had two YAGs on that eye in an attempt to free up the lens "stuck" lens. I have two additional questions.
1). Aside from an intentional aim for mono vision, can you think of any reason to select -2.0 for a Crystalens?  It seems rather extreme.
2). I also have significant positive dysphotopsia in that eye which got worse after the second YAG.  Do you think a piggyback lens could address myopia as well as dysphotopsia?