Eye Care Expert Forum
Crystalens refractive target question
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Crystalens refractive target question

Four months after bilateral Crystalens implants (done one week apart) my uncorrected vision in my right eye is 20/50 my uncorrected vision in my left eye is 20/200.   I recently obtained my records as I plan to get a second opinion.  I just discovered that my doctor targeted my right eye at 0.00 and my left eye at -2.00.  From what I read, B&L recommends targets ranging from plano to -.50.  Is this way outside the norm?  My pre-surgery eyeglass prescription for my left eye was -3.25 x -.25 x 162. it is now -2.50 x -1.50 x 10.  Thank you for your help.
2078052_tn?1331936700
Obviously your left eye is much more nearsighted than your right eye after surgery.  It appears that your surgeon aimed for a monovision, with the left eye as the reading eye.  If you are happy with the near vision in the left eye, then you may leave it as is.  If you are unable to adapt to the difference between the eyes, then a LASIK or implant lens exchange could be done.  The latter option (IOL exchange) is more invasive, and could be associated with complications if you have already had a YAG capsulotomy (laser to open a cloudy posterior capsule behind the implant).
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you.  I don't believe that my surgeon intended to aim for mono vision.  If that was the case, I would not have paid for a premium lens in that eye.  I have had two YAGs on that eye in an attempt to free up the lens "stuck" lens. I have two additional questions.
1). Aside from an intentional aim for mono vision, can you think of any reason to select -2.0 for a Crystalens?  It seems rather extreme.
2). I also have significant positive dysphotopsia in that eye which got worse after the second YAG.  Do you think a piggyback lens could address myopia as well as dysphotopsia?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now