Eye Care Expert Forum
Daughter seeing colored spots

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Daughter seeing colored spots

My 6 year old daughter just told us last week that she always sees colored spots.  We went to the ped yesterday and they gave her an eye exam.  She could read everything from her left eye, when her right eye was covered up... then w/ both eyes she could read from the left and middle column but not from the right column...  then w/ her left eye covered and only using her right eye she said she could not see any letters at all!  The ped looked in the machine herself and it was fine, then they re-did the eye exam a 2nd time w/ the same results.  then looking in her eye w/ the light., the ped said the disc in my daughter's left eye is clear and fine but she said the disc in her right eye is not.
We have an appointment set w/ the Pediatric Ophthamologist and the Childrens Hospital here but our appointment isn't until June 14th! :(  
Please can you give us any input on the results from her eye exam and about her seeing the colored spots??  Thanks so much!
June 14th is unacceptable.  Your daughter essentially can't see out of one eye.  This warrants an immediate referral to an ophthalmologist.  Your pediatrician needs to call the pediatric ophthalmologist right away and get you in ASAP.  If he won't or can't, make an appointment with a regular ophthalmologist who can do a dilated exam and at least give you an idea of what's going on.

HV
Thank you!  I called our pediatrician back and requested a refferal to a different Ophthamologist.  That new office said that I can call back on Tuesday to make her appointment so I hope they can get us in a lot quicker than the 1st place!

Could you tell me what causes the disc in the eye to be unclear?

Thanks so much!!
There are multiple causes that could lead to an abnormal appearing nerve.  It just needs to be evaluated right away.  I'm hoping she's already seen the ophthalmologist by the time you read this.  If not, get her seen urgently.

HV
Her appointment is this Thursday, 5-9-13.   The Children's hospital couldn't see her until June 14th, so I called my pediatrician back and asked for another referral.  This is also a Pediatric Ophthalmologist at another hospital here.

I will also update w/ what they find in case anyone else comes across this question later on.

thank you so much for your help!
Hoping all has gone well with your daughter's appointment today.  So scary. :(  Please keep us posted.