Eye Care Expert Forum
Double Vision after a Migraine

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Double Vision after a Migraine

I recently suffered my first migraine headache. It began in my left eye. In the beginning I thought I had strained my eye in some way but for 4 days the pain increased until on the 5th day I was forced into bed (recliner) because of the pain and nasuea. Although migraines do not run in my family and I have never had problems with headaches the MD diagnosed me with a migraine due to all the symptoms.

The pain was exclusive to the left side of my head and the pain centralized the worst in my left eye. I slept in a recliner for the 5 days my migraine lasted. Laying down flat in bed would only increase my migraine pain.

I have been pain free for 48 hours but during the migraine and since I have been experiencing double vision. If I am looking at something straight on I do not have any problems - it's when I move my eyes to the side or up or down that I get the double vision. If I close 1 eye the double vision goes away. My double vision is more severe after my eyes have been closed (such as sleep at night).

Is this normal? How long can I expect to suffer with double vision? Since I first felt the 'strain' in my eye it has been 12 days and most things I read online don't have symptoms or problems lasting this long even when you add in pre-pain and post-pain.

Thanks for reading and responding.
Dear MsPeggy,

There are many causes of double vision and headaches and I would definitely recommend that you see an eyeMD immediately.  Usually [but not always] the symptoms go away after the resolution.  Its persistence for 5 days makes me think of some other conditions and I recommend an examination TODAY!  The best specialists are neuro-ophthalmologists or neurologists.  If you cannot get in to a doctor today, go to an urgent care or emergency room.

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful and your time is appreciated.