Eye Care Expert Forum
Double Vision after a Migraine

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Double Vision after a Migraine

I recently suffered my first migraine headache. It began in my left eye. In the beginning I thought I had strained my eye in some way but for 4 days the pain increased until on the 5th day I was forced into bed (recliner) because of the pain and nasuea. Although migraines do not run in my family and I have never had problems with headaches the MD diagnosed me with a migraine due to all the symptoms.

The pain was exclusive to the left side of my head and the pain centralized the worst in my left eye. I slept in a recliner for the 5 days my migraine lasted. Laying down flat in bed would only increase my migraine pain.

I have been pain free for 48 hours but during the migraine and since I have been experiencing double vision. If I am looking at something straight on I do not have any problems - it's when I move my eyes to the side or up or down that I get the double vision. If I close 1 eye the double vision goes away. My double vision is more severe after my eyes have been closed (such as sleep at night).

Is this normal? How long can I expect to suffer with double vision? Since I first felt the 'strain' in my eye it has been 12 days and most things I read online don't have symptoms or problems lasting this long even when you add in pre-pain and post-pain.

Thanks for reading and responding.
Dear MsPeggy,

There are many causes of double vision and headaches and I would definitely recommend that you see an eyeMD immediately.  Usually [but not always] the symptoms go away after the resolution.  Its persistence for 5 days makes me think of some other conditions and I recommend an examination TODAY!  The best specialists are neuro-ophthalmologists or neurologists.  If you cannot get in to a doctor today, go to an urgent care or emergency room.

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful and your time is appreciated.