Exophoria and reading problems
I was diagnosed with exophoria that is greater from afar 2 weeks ago. Months before that, I was only diagnosed with astigmatism and nearsightedness. For months, I have been experiencing eye strains, headaches and even vomiting one due to reading both on print and computer; it's worse when it's on the computer. I was given glasses but it didn't work.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my doctor diagnosed my exophoria which is latent/controllable  and gave me glasses with prism. The glasses work when I'm walking and viewing from afar, but now when reading up close problems arise. In fact, when I read with glasses up close, I feel heaviness and discomfort in my forehead. So I adjusted by removing the glasses and putting my face closer to what i read.

I also have feelings of inattention and spacyness, which I've experienced for years. I graduated from college while enduring the "daydreaming" habits. I now assume that it was my undiagnosed exophoria which caused that.

QUESTION: Will frequent eye exercises permanently remove this exophoria-caused problems?
I would see an ophthalmologist first for a complete exam, which should include gonioscopy (to check the anterior chamber angles), a visual field, and a dilated exam of the retina.  If all these are normal, a referral to a strabismus specialist would help determine the proper treatment.
Thanks for the rep, Dr. Fazio.

I actually went to an ophthalmologist first, and then she referred me to an optometrist. I think I forgot to mention that due to the "spacey" feeling.

The optometrist prescribed me with glasses with prism. As of the moment, the dizziness and headaches are gone. I guess it took me 2 weeks to adjust to the glasses. Thankfully.

Yet, I notice that I still keep doing a "face turn" when reading while wearing my eyeglasses; i'm tilting my head to the right to able to read and concentrate. Otherwise, I feel like I don't get the meaning of words.

The ophthalmologist said that face turning is being caused by the eye muscle imbalance. The optometrist said that eye exercises can cure that.
I might opt to do some exercises.

P.S. I don't live in the US, and I already went to the best hospital in my country.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.