Eye Care Expert Forum
Expired Vigamox

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Expired Vigamox
I have a LASIK procedure scheduled in a week. My optometrist wrote me a prescription for Vigamox. I actually have an Unopened bottle but realized the expiration date on the box is 12/2009. I was hoping to save the $100 and use the unopened bottle but do not know if that is such a wise idea. Are expired eye drops safe?
3 years is too long.  Sorry.

HV
I am no Dr. but I believe in 3 years the Vigamox might lose it's effectiveness.  If it were me, this is one area I wouldn't cut back on because Vigamox is CRITICAL for your eye health after eye procedures.  You don't want to kick yourself if your eye heals with complications.

I too am always tring to save money where I can, but I would do without a new pair of shoes, jeans, or something else instead...just my two cents. ;-)
A related discussion, expired vigamox was started.