Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye Irritation from LED lighting on smart phone

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

When I purchased a PDA about 10 years ago, I noticed that the lighting on the display panel irritated my eyes from time to time causing my eyes to tear and become very itchy.  I thought that the PDA was off-gassing so I sent the PDA to the OEM and they checked it and ostensibly found nothing wrong with it.  

I am now encountereing the same problem with my smart phone.  When using the phone in a dark environment, the lighting will occasionally irritate my eyes causing them to itch and start tearing.  This occurs with so much intensity that I have to set the phone aside and postpone using it.  (I am 69 years old and have age related macular degeneration.)

I have not heard of anyone having the same problem.  Can you help?  
It is highly unlikely that the problem is the smart phone. Likely its a symptom of tears dysfunction syndrome (aka dry eye syndrome). Use the search feature and read about. Talk to your ophthalmologist about it.

JCH MD
A related discussion, LED eye irritation was started.