Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye pressure for weeks!

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye pressure for weeks!

So I have seen an eye doctor, who didn't really run many tests, he said It was likely dry eye, (which had started three-four weeks before I had seen him) So Ive been taking these eye drops for two weeks. Three different brands, two perscribed and one store bought and recommended by the doctor. I put a moist cloth on my eyes when I do try to sleep. I havent experienced relief, not even the slightest. However, For the past 3 weeks I've had insane eye presssure. It gets worse and worse. I cant sleep anymore because Its so bad. I go to bed at 5 am usually or 7am now, because it hurts so much that I cant even close my eyes, Or else it ffeels more like pressure. my eyes do get dry, but they dont itch, arent red, they dont even have the signs of dry eye very often anymore. I have amblyopia in my left eye which tends to hurt more, but It seems to switch between them. Could the dry eye be the cause of this? Or is this unusual? And what could relieve this?
You must get to an ophthalmologist immediately for a complete evaluation.  Be sure to have the ophthalmologist perform a gonioscopy to check for narrow anterior chamber angles, which can lead to angle closure glaucoma.  
Are you taking predforte or prednisolone drops? I'm concerned about the level of discomfort and description of pressure you are describing. Do you any halo's around lights? When do you see your doc next? See him soon and have him do a check for glaucoma
Also, be sure the doctor you are seeing is an ophthalmologist, rather than an optometrist.  I agree with Pantx that you should try to get checked by an ophthalmologist ASAP just to make sure that nothing dangerous to your vision is causing your discomfort.  Dry eye or corneal erosion/scratches can cause intense eye pain but it doesn't necessarily feel like elevated pressure.

If you are having high fluid pressure within the front of the eye (high intra-ocular pressure or IOP), dry eye and/or cornea problems, you should try to see a corneal or 'anterior' eye specialist.  They are the doctors who treat glaucoma and other disorders in the front part of the eye.

Please don't wait to go see an ophthalmologist about your eye pain.  It will probably be fine but you don't want to risk your vision by delaying a visit to the doctor, just in case something is wrong.  Good luck.