Eye Care Expert Forum
Glaucoma and severe allergies (reactions to allergy shot)

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I recently received the Kenalog injection and had a reaction (month later)  i've never had an irregular menstrual cycle and after the injection i've had a second one in one month.  i've had slight dizziness and elevated headaches.  

The over the counter medications such as Claritin and Tylenol allergy were not helping with my allergies and my doctor decided that kenalog was the way to go.  it helped with my allergies but i'm afraid of the side effects.  Is there something that can be done to diminish the side effects of the second menstrual period and the increased headaches.  

I happen to have chronic acute angle glaucoma.  I've had 1 laser iridotomy in each eye and the angle has not opened.
I advice against the Kenalog injections since systemic steroids can defiinitely worsen and even cause glaucoma.  Make sure that you are keeping in close touch with an ophthalmologist and have your eye pressure checked very soon to make sure the Kenalog is not making things worse.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Avatar n tn
thank you for the advice.  i received the kenalog shot because the pressure from the congestion caused by my allergies was popping blood vessels in my eyes.  my glaucoma specialist has seen me and concurred that it was the only thing i could take at the moment.  the over the counter meds make it worse.  
my question was more on the menstrual side effects.  can i diminsh that?