Eye Care Expert Forum
Holes in Retina

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Holes in Retina

Hi I have gone for general eye check-up, there i came to know that i have holes in my retina.They asked me to go for Barrage Laser.Is that a major surgery? How do u know that we have holes in the eyes??? Will it be present for everyone who has Myopia(Short Sight) or for only few people... Please tell me... Please advice me.. am in a confusion to go for the traetment or not.
Tags: retina
People who are myopic are at greater risk than average.  Some holes predispose you to having a retinal detachment so laser barricade is sometimes advised to prevent this.  It is not major surgery and is done in the office.  Discuss the risks with your surgeon.  Lens exam with indirect ophthalmoscopes helps your surgeon both see and laser the holes.

HV
I have had this treatment done.  I had it done on one eye after I was diagnosed with Lattice Degeneration.  (The other eye had suffered a retinal detachment due to the holes in combination with high myopia and a fall.)  It was done in the office with my eye numbed.  It is not a pleasant procedure but it is not terrible and is tolerable.